Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's a nice old bike I want to buy in Belgium. This one. But now, because of Brexit, I have to pay import duty and VAT on top of the price. I can't do it even if I wanted to right now because of covid, but it's a real pain in the arse suddenly having all these bureaucratic barriers in the way. And the Brexiteers told us all that there'd be less red tape, not more.

Also, anyone who's had to deal with carnets will know what a royal pain in the arse they are. And expensive too. All just paperwork, all unnecessary, all a massive backward step. Just because some people didn't like certain EU laws. Laws they were never able to identify.
That looks cool @Tom.

I will always regret chucking my granddad's old frame away. We were emptying my mum's old house for a move and were rushed. If I had more time I'd have made a different decision.

It's likely it will have been completely cold welded together and un-restorable but I'll never know.

Can you not contact the guy and say you'll buy it but can he hold it until the spring - then go on a road trip? "It's my bike" would be the retort if asked :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
There's a nice old bike I want to buy in Belgium. This one. But now, because of Brexit, I have to pay import duty and VAT on top of the price. I can't do it even if I wanted to right now because of covid, but it's a real pain in the arse suddenly having all these bureaucratic barriers in the way. And the Brexiteers told us all that there'd be less red tape, not more.

Also, anyone who's had to deal with carnets will know what a royal pain in the arse they are. And expensive too. All just paperwork, all unnecessary, all a massive backward step. Just because some people didn't like certain EU laws. Laws they were never able to identify.
It is even worse that even if you are happy to pay import tax there are so many uk retailers who have decided not even to sell to citizens the EU due to the paperwork... that can not be good for the UK it really can not....

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It is even worse that even if you are happy to pay import tax there are so many uk retailers who have decided not even to sell to citizens the EU due to the paperwork... that can not be good for the UK it really can not....

We don't want to share our superior technology with you plebs!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

As already stated. You do not have to pay duty on bikes. There isn't actually very much at all that you have to pay duty on from the EU.

Yoni

I am not talking about bikes... I am talking about anything else - which is ok if you can change a few traditions at chrismas...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am not talking about bikes... I am talking about anything else - which is ok if you can change a few traditions at chrismas...

Errr...Most things do not attract duty from the EU. Please do your research before screaming about stuff that doesn't happen.

It's those facts again, sorry.

Anyway, Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates I am sure you will find something, eventually, to be outraged about.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You still had to "look at that rubbish" while in the EU. That's how international trade works.

But anyway, you pay 0 duty on the vast majority of imports from the EU, despite what the loons will tell you (I do this every day)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit, having said that, most EU folk I deal with don't even understand how country of origin works, despite the fact that even within the EU, you still need to show that the goods originated from within the EU.

Basically, within the EU, international rules are pretty much ignored most of the time, massive set of amateurs.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The reality is most of the stuff i used to order from UK i now order from elsewhere, VAT difference or not.

This is the case for a lot of people and businesses, you can scream into the wind all you like @Raven but reality is that business is lost because of brexit because British companies used to just be able to ignore it just like rest of EU does ;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
As already stated. You do not have to pay duty on bikes. There isn't actually very much at all that you have to pay duty on from the EU.

2 facepalms for stating actual, verifiable facts. Quite sad.

I'm sorry, it doesn't fit the narrative, but you know, that's life. Sometimes facts get in the way of opinion.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Before Brexit kicked in the company i work for sent half lorry loads to the Czech Republic very easily, The lorry turned up we chucked the stuff on the back, filled in a CMR, and off he went.
Now we have to fill a whole lorry and seal it and we have to pay £97 to get the paperwork sorted for customs.
However as our customer pays for transport he has seen his bill rise by somewhere in the region of £900 per truck.
That is probably why the prices you pay have increased.

Yoni

The reality is most of the stuff i used to order from UK i now order from elsewhere, VAT difference or not.

This is the case for a lot of people and businesses, you can scream into the wind all you like @Raven but reality is that business is lost because of brexit because British companies used to just be able to ignore it just like rest of EU does ;)
This is absolutely the case

Yoni

Errr...Most things do not attract duty from the EU. Please do your research before screaming about stuff that doesn't happen.

It's those facts again, sorry.

Anyway, Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates I am sure you will find something, eventually, to be outraged about.
I do not even want to go there it is a terrible site.

Brexit for private individuals

This is much easier to read than the UK site - No private person is going to go about getting a "statement of origin!" they will just find a substitution hence my point the UK have lost a lot of business..
The issue is not only about taxes it is about UK companies who now no longer service Europe - my familiy have had this message countless times when trying to send me stuff in the lats year some of them have had it since Jan 1st and some have managed to sort out their issues (but then you get into taxes and gift rules(..... they have solved this by using EU retailers like Amazon.....

1639978416092.png

As I have stated before I have several friends who make jewelry etc not to mention some retailers who opened in the UK before Brexit that are not currently represented in Europe that I used to purchase from - however the additional taxes has meant that I have not been able to support them as much this year.... all used to have a flourishing EU business.... now due to extra admin - non existent ....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It's not anything that shouldn't have been carried out before under Intrastat...for businesses, anyway. Even within the EU you are still supposed to declare exports and imports under the correct commodity code (with the correct country it's come from, or going to) if goods are transferred over borders.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
"Support for Boris Johnson comes from minister - and long-term ally - Conor Burns, who says he has "confidence and belief" in the PM. He is determined to restore trust, he adds.

"I do not believe the prime minister misled the House of Commons," Burns says."

They must think that every person in the country other than themselves is a retard.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
"Support for Boris Johnson comes from minister - and long-term ally - Conor Burns, who says he has "confidence and belief" in the PM. He is determined to restore trust, he adds.

"I do not believe the prime minister misled the House of Commons," Burns says."

They must think that every person in the country other than themselves is a retard.
The thing that fucked me off about it more than anything was Michael Ellis responding to the urgent question(s) yesterday. One of the questions was basically "it's one rule for them and another for the rest of us" to which he responded (paraphrasing) "if that was the case there'd be no investigation and none of this would be in the public domain", as if it hadn't been leaked via ITV and that the government were the heroes of the piece for alerting the nation and making a gallant stand against rule-breaking. Fucking arseholes, the lot of them.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You know each time a Tory MP comes on TV/Radio saying it was a heartfelt apology, lets wait for the report, etc I just get the feeling the gap widens between MPs and the general population, to the majority a report isn't needed to understand that you not only can't enforce a basic rule but can't even follow it yourself and saying sorry after the fact would be questionable if one of his 7/8 children did it again and again for the same reason.

We've got to the point where the highest elected office in the land has become the one we now expect least out of and that isn't what the majority of us expect or want.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
You know each time a Tory MP comes on TV/Radio saying it was a heartfelt apology, lets wait for the report, etc I just get the feeling the gap widens between MPs and the general population, to the majority a report isn't needed to understand that you not only can't enforce a basic rule but can't even follow it yourself and saying sorry after the fact would be questionable if one of his 7/8 children did it again and again for the same reason.

We've got to the point where the highest elected office in the land has become the one we now expect least out of and that isn't what the majority of us expect or want.

But they usually do a non apology apology. For example "I'm sorry you feel that way" instead of "I'm sorry I caused the way you feel"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom