• Brexit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The revelation that many pension funds were in serious danger is actually quite worrying, in the sense that there's fuck all I can do about it. I have a private pension with Scottish Widows, not a huge amount, around average for my age, but I don't know if that might have been affected. Pointless calling them because they won't tell me anyway, but would my private pension be covered? Online searches suggest yes, but it isn't that far off the limit.

There's probably quite a lot of people with a much larger pp than me, can you imagine how it must feel to realise that the fund you've been saving and investing the last 40 years might just have disappeared into the aether?

Fuck these idiots.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The revelation that many pension funds were in serious danger is actually quite worrying, in the sense that there's fuck all I can do about it. I have a private pension with Scottish Widows, not a huge amount, around average for my age, but I don't know if that might have been affected. Pointless calling them because they won't tell me anyway, but would my private pension be covered? Online searches suggest yes, but it isn't that far off the limit.

There's probably quite a lot of people with a much larger pp than me, can you imagine how it must feel to realise that the fund you've been saving and investing the last 40 years might just have disappeared into the aether?

Fuck these idiots.
Been putting loads into my Royal London pension for years. Had a decent pot. It’s probably fucked now. Tories need to be drowned in shit.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
The pension stuff danger is kinda weird, because you would expect a pension fund to be the most stable of investment vehicles. Their time horizons is 20+ years. You can't withdraw money from outside of the established mechanisms, so in theory, they'd be one of the safest places to put your money. The problem, as I understand it, is that to make up for accounting quirks of double entry book keeping, they borrow money to generate excess returns to decrease how underfunded they are. They hedge against interest rates movements, but their hedges being unwound caused more Gilts selling pressure, forcing them to unwind yet more hedges, driving Gilts pricing down even further. It's a death spiral, and so BOE had to intervene to stop it. From what I'm reading, it's still unwinding, and you'll see the repercussions in the next few weeks.

The whole thing is massively dumb though. Some Canadian pension funds got burned hard a few years ago because they were pursuing a short term strategy that while risky, provided very good returns for years. Until market turned, and they lost a fuck-ton of money in a single week. Pension funds should not be doing risky short term investments. They think they're sophisticated investors, but they rarely are.

America has this mechanism called a 401k. It's kinda clunky, but essentially, it's my private pension pot. I put money in each month, my employer matches it. That money is mine, protected by law. If the provider goes bust, my money is federally guaranteed. I chose my investment options and check in once a year to see how it's going. When I turn 65, I can withdraw it. Tax is paid on the money when you withdraw, rather than when you earn it, so you are deferring taxes, which makes it a bit more attractive to put money away early in your career.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The OBR folk met with Truss and Kwarteng, it lasted 45 minutes...

That went well then.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Where's @Bodhi when you need him. I'd dearly love his take on the economic disaster that the Tories have foisted upon us.

Still the safest pair of hands?

In Switzerland if you must know, been a bit busy to check what the Morning Star forum has to say on stuff.

However it appears we aren't in recession after a small amount of growth in Q2, and the Pound is sitting at $1.11 which is above where it was on Friday. It also appears everyone's energy bills are covered for the winter, and those of us who pay tax will be doing less of that.

Seems pretty good to me tbf. Shame about the imminent arrival of WW3, but then you can't have everything.

Anyway, back to the restaurant on the shores of Lake Geneva. Sante!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
However it appears we aren't in recession after a small amount of growth in Q2
Tiny amount of growth in Q2, maybe - and behind our peers (again).

the Pound is sitting at $1.11 which is above where it was on Friday
Thanks to the Bank of England restarting QE.

It also appears everyone's energy bills are covered for the winter
That's what Liz said, but it's not true. There's a maximum per-kilowatt hour cap - which is still hewuge.

and those of us who pay tax will be doing less of that
Thank fuck - although it won't make up for the loss in the value of the pound ($2 in 2007, $1.60 in 2014, $1.40 just last year...) - making everything we import more expensive (inflationary!).

Seems pretty good to me tbf.
Of course. The fanboi in you is unshakeable :)

Pics!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
This was you sexy correspondent earlier. Bit dark now and we're leaving for the airport shortly.

20220930_110412.JPG

Wij

I am a FH squatter
In Switzerland if you must know, been a bit busy to check what the Morning Star forum has to say on stuff.

However it appears we aren't in recession after a small amount of growth in Q2, and the Pound is sitting at $1.11 which is above where it was on Friday. It also appears everyone's energy bills are covered for the winter, and those of us who pay tax will be doing less of that.

Seems pretty good to me tbf. Shame about the imminent arrival of WW3, but then you can't have everything.

Wait till you check your pension. You’re in for a treat.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
the Pound is sitting at $1.11 which is above where it was on Friday.

It only cost 65 billion pounds to do that. Our 65 billion pounds.

Think how many Playstations you could buy with that.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It only cost 65 billion pounds to do that. Our 65 billion pounds.

Think how many Playstations you could buy with that.
Actually not quite. Pretty sure they printed that money. That has consequences though. It’s inflationary. But so is the weak pound.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually not quite. Pretty sure they printed that money. That has consequences though. It’s inflationary. But so is the weak pound.

Tories don't give a fuck.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They printed the money (spreadsheet). In the same way banks magic it out of their arse every time they give you a loan.

It's unpayable, of course. It can never be paid back. But we still have to try.

It's all bent. And people worry about crypto.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
They printed the money (spreadsheet). In the same way banks magic it out of their arse every time they give you a loan.

It's unpayable, of course. It can never be paid back. But we still have to try.

It's all bent. And people worry about crypto.
It not being the same as a current account does not make it bent. Fiat money is infinitely superior to the gold standard despite what zerohedge might wail about.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Wait till you check your pension. You’re in for a treat.

Well that would only be temporary. And depends how long you have left until you retire.
So if you're still investing into your pension you will be buying more shares for less money now and when the markets pick up your pension pot will look pretty good again

If you're close to retirement it could be problem but then most of your pension pot should have been moved to something less volatile than shares.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well that would only be temporary. And depends how long you have left until you retire.
So if you're still investing into your pension you will be buying more shares for less money now and when the markets pick up your pension pot will look pretty good again

If you're close to retirement it could be problem but then most of your pension pot should have been moved to something less volatile than shares.
Not necessarily. If they are rapidly swapping assets for cash the size of the pot may take a permanent hit.

View: https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1575837761763942405

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I wonder if they only put it in there so they could say "see - we listen".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom