Dragon age: Origins

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
My copy of Mass Effect was mailed from Webhallen around 08:00 this morning so might have it on the floor tonight. :) if not i have it tomorrow.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I really like this game, but there's something a bit crappy about it... I can't put my finger on it.

Perhaps it's the formulaic Bioware approach to their games? The formula goes something like this:
You are given a main quest.
You are given a series of mini-quests which allow the main quest to advance, but which can be done in any order (giving an illusion of freedom).
After all of the side quests are completed, the main quest advances with drama in a linear fashion, but (depending on choices you (have already made or) make along the way) with variations in dialogue, surviving companions, people leaving, and then a big end battle.

I found it quite predictable... there weren't as many surprises as I would have liked, but very enjoyable and offering lots of replay value.

My tip would be to make sure you download all of the free DLC.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
It's a compromise between a non-linear world and a tight storyline - I've yet to see a truly sandbox game with a compelling narrative

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
It's a compromise between a non-linear world and a tight storyline - I've yet to see a truly sandbox game with a compelling narrative

Indeed. The problems are multiple, one being that when you do one thing, it can affect several of the quests you are currently on. Say, for example, you kill a guy who gives the main quest before you get it. Of course, it would involve making a new system to refer you to another character who gives the quest - sadly, game producers appear so strapped for time and money that they have to bang out a game that's as good as they can make it within their budgets and that sells well rather than making it groundbreaking.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well, to be honest if you DO kill a guy that hands out a quest then you shouldn't get the exact same one from someone else. that defeats the purpose of having to make choises...

i mean, thats eating the cake while still having it.

rynnor

Rockhound
I must say I dont think this game actually has any replay value - the intro's are different but once your shoe-horned into the main quest its just a linear grind which I found dull.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well there are some choises you can make that affects the end of the game. like if you agree to kill the mages the templars will help you insted and stuff like that.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
SoM.jpg

Olgaline

FH is my second home
So,
got Dragon age and ME2 at the same time, I started with ME2....
should have played DA first..atm I think i need to shelve it for abit,
until the memory of Me2 fades abit....

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Just get it on in DAO its a nice and fun game if you take your time to explore everything. :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

RISE TO POWER...
BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY
Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:
  • Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
  • Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
  • Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
  • Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
  • Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

DEBUT TRAILER 08/17/10

Helme

Resident Freddy
After yesterday's cover reveal and a few tantalizing details about Dragon Age II, fans of BioWare's epic RPG series probably have more questions than answers. The biggest mystery currently involves the new main character: Who is Hawke? You'll have to get a hold of our latest issue if you want all of the details, but we can clarify five basic facts about the central character in Dragon Age II.

1. Hawke will be a voiced character.
Unlike Dragon Age: Origins, the player's character in Dragon Age II will be fully voiced. This opens the door for a more cinematic approach to dialogue and creates an identity for the character outside of the text you see on-screen. It also eliminates those awkward scenarios where you feel like your character should be reacting, but instead just stares blankly without so much as a grunt.

2. Hawke is human.
Yes, that means that you won't be able to select Hawke's race. However, just because that one aspect of Hawke's backstory is set doesn't mean BioWare is eliminating character creation. You can still choose your class and customize your appearance. When we visited BioWare's studio, we only saw (and heard) the male Hawke in action, but the team promises that players can select either gender for the character.

3. Hawke didn't just survive the blight...he escaped it.
As the Grey Warden from Dragon Age: Origins was fighting darkspawn, Hawke was living in Lothering. Fans will remember that the small village was raided and destroyed (an event that occurred off-screen in Origins), and Hawke was one of the survivors. However, rather than stay and fight the darkspawn menace, Hawke flees Ferelden and heads north.

4. Hawke is the Champion of Kirkwall.
Kirkwall is a major population center in the Free Marches, a collection of city-states north of Ferelden. This means that at least some of the action in Dragon Age II will be set in Kirkwall itself, though Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches. What exactly Hawke does to earn the honorary title of Champion, however, is up to you.

5. Hawke drives the story.
Dragon Age II is not about killing an ancient evil or about quelling another blight; Hawke is the driving force behind the narrative. Over the course of the game's 10-year timeline, players' actions and choices will determine Hawke's history, relationships, and regrets...all in service to answering the larger question: Who is the Champion of Kirkwall?
Source: Clicky

Really tragic in my opinion, Dragon Age is not Mass Effect but I guess EA wasn't satisfied with the 1 million PC sales the original got :(

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Seems they're taking a cue from Mass Effect on having a named/voiced main character, which is a shame because DA:O was twice as good as ME2.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Yeah I totally agree, its the whole playing MY story versus playing a developers story. I felt way more attached to my Dragon Age character than I did with Shepherd.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
never had a problem with awakening when i played that one through..

but now that i read the patch notes, i never did get any of the companion side quests....

might play it through again now just for those quests :)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Only had problem getting the sidequest for the rogue you pickup in jail. And loosing all my "special" gear after getting captured in the mine. All i got back was 1 piece of armor, rest of my gear gone.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Only had problem getting the sidequest for the rogue you pickup in jail. And loosing all my "special" gear after getting captured in the mine. All i got back was 1 piece of armor, rest of my gear gone.

you didnt continue playing then? you get all the gear back from certain named "bosses" along the way out.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Nah it's a known bug that the guy who wears your main characters gear sometime doesn't spawn at all.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
just a side note ;

PLAY are having a sale, and you can get DA;O and DA;O;A in a 2 for £25 job

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom