Doom 4?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well its not really bollocks, most online shooters only have the single player mode as an afterthought, not just EA/Ubisoft. Just as the online segment of most games designed for their single player have pap online modes, or nothing at all.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Friday at 10am to Friday at 7pm. On Nightmare, right @BloodOmen?

Meh. Sounds like half a game to me.

Errrr no idea tbh, don't even think it took that long, pretty sure I was through it in 6-7 hours on Nightmare. Could have been longer I guess :p think I can check playtime on my save, shalt do that in a minute when I've had breakfast.

That said! the map editor is fucking amazing, addicted to map making now.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Made a map, still need tweaking and fleshing out properly, it's 2-4 players, give it a go if you have DOOM

Code: XYZVZ4CE

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The only thing I don't like about SnapMap so far is that its limited to 4 players max, which is shit. MP games have a max of 10 players I believe, which is what SnapMap should have.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Another map for people to try

Solo map this time

TYTHJQKD

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Reviews are saying Singleplayer = Great, Multiplayer = Not so much at all.

A few of them are alluding to the XP and weapons unlocking stuff I mentioned earlier when a level playing field clearly produces the best multiplayer shooters.

I kinda want to play the single player, but I'm not shelling out £40 for it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The single player is probably the most fun I've ever had in an FPS campaign. It's seriously good. Some of the melee kills are *brutal* (although they do get a bit repetitive). I like the lore, the levels are great, it's bloody difficult, it looks fantastic and it runs really well (even on one card because it doesn't support sli or crossfire).

The multiplayer was supposedly created by an entirely different team and is pap.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

A few of them are alluding to the XP and weapons unlocking stuff I mentioned earlier when a level playing field clearly produces the best multiplayer shooters.

Yea, they dropped the ball on the multi-player badly, it just feels like a modern FPS (which really isn't the point behind DOOM), the SnapMap thing is great but it also suffers because its limited to 4 players, it's blatantly because of console player limitations so naturally it was thrust upon PC players too... I mean the MP maps can handle up to 12(?) why can't SnapMap? SnapMap player count needs increasing to 8 people at least and the multiplayer maps in general need some work, namely removal of Demon Runes and other shite power-ups, as fun as it is, having a demon run around 1 shotting people isn't what DOOM is about either.

On the note of power-ups: as someone pointed out in one of the review videos, veteran FPS players are at a huge advantage when it comes to power-ups in DOOM, they know when they'll spawn and they know having map control is key, so none veterans just get shit all over.

If they don't fix the MP fast, I don't see anyone hardly playing MP in 2-3 months time. DOOM is just about utter chaos gun battles, not a power-up fiesta like it currently is.

Also, as caLLous said, the singleplayer is great, I haven't had that much fun playing through a single-player campaign in close to 10 years.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Very mild spoilers (in that he is playing the game as he's talking, but only a very early level) but he does a good job of explaining why it's so damn good.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
It could have had more of a horror-theme to it and be a little less arcadey.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Isn't that what Doom 3 tried? Didn't we all find it dull?

I thought it wasn't rated because they forced you to either/or use the flashlight and had implemented the dreaded jumpscare?

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Isn't that what Doom 3 tried? Didn't we all find it dull?

You are correct on that point. But it had some good things in it - great atmosphere is one of them and actually scary looking enemies. Not that Doom 4 does not have that at all, but some of em could have been done better in my opinion. Otherwise, much better game than Doom 3.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Doom 3 was wank because the story was drivel, and the gameplay consisted of OOOH ARMOUR. OH LOOK A TON OF SHIT JUST SPAWNED.

It was a very generic boring shooter with boring boss mechanics.

It wasn't because it tried to be slower with horror that it was a mess - it was the fact that it was generic, dull and predictable the whole way through.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hmm.

GTX460. Low grafix settings. 3rd gen i5. 1920x1200. No AA.

20 fps. That can't be right. It feels wrong.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yes, it's a touch old and I'm considering an upgrade soon but it usually does a decent job on medium settings in most games. This is different though. The mouse lags like fuck in the menus even. I've set it down to super ugly and it makes 0 difference. Decided to go to bed but I suspect it won't be much better at 640x480.

I've updated the drivers.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd have a google because if they managed to get this to run on consoles the settings must be out there to tweak it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'd have a google because if they managed to get this to run on consoles the settings must be out there to tweak it.

It's a 460... the consoles are running 7790 series.

460 series is early 2010, 7790 was mid 2013. They are quite a bit apart in performance. 1gflop for the 460, 1.8 for the console gpus ( ish ).

Wij

I am a FH squatter

£28 off CD Keys

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Yea, they dropped the ball on the multi-player badly, it just feels like a modern FPS (which really isn't the point behind DOOM), the SnapMap thing is great but it also suffers because its limited to 4 players, it's blatantly because of console player limitations so naturally it was thrust upon PC players too... I mean the MP maps can handle up to 12(?) why can't SnapMap? SnapMap player count needs increasing to 8 people at least and the multiplayer maps in general need some work, namely removal of Demon Runes and other shite power-ups, as fun as it is, having a demon run around 1 shotting people isn't what DOOM is about either.

On the note of power-ups: as someone pointed out in one of the review videos, veteran FPS players are at a huge advantage when it comes to power-ups in DOOM, they know when they'll spawn and they know having map control is key, so none veterans just get shit all over.

If they don't fix the MP fast, I don't see anyone hardly playing MP in 2-3 months time. DOOM is just about utter chaos gun battles, not a power-up fiesta like it currently is.

Also, as caLLous said, the singleplayer is great, I haven't had that much fun playing through a single-player campaign in close to 10 years.
What on earth does snap maps having a limited amount of players have to do with console players?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The same as the limitation on settlement size in Fallout 4. Everything is designed to work on the consoles. PC users get all the console limitations foisted on to them. Its not a dig at consoles per say, just a reality.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
What on earth does snap maps having a limited amount of players have to do with console players?

Because consoles are limited by hardware, severely limited and they won't make 2 separate games for consoles and PC, instead they built it around consoles and ported it to PC thus PC is stuck with 4 player SnapMap.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Because consoles are limited by hardware, severely limited and they won't make 2 separate games for consoles and PC, instead they built it around consoles and ported it to PC thus PC is stuck with 4 player SnapMap.
I get other PC games being limited by consoles, but the Snapmap one makes no sense to me. If consoles can handle maps running 6v6 people, why would they struggle with 4 people in a Snapmap?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I get other PC games being limited by consoles, but the Snapmap one makes no sense to me. If consoles can handle maps running 6v6 people, why would they struggle with 4 people in a Snapmap?

because the 6v6 maps are optimized to do that, SnapMap is just a random mish mash that someone has thrown together, not exactly optimized.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
because the 6v6 maps are optimized to do that, SnapMap is just a random mish mash that someone has thrown together, not exactly optimized.
Why would it make a shred of a different if the maps are a different size/layout etc? This makes no sense to me.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Why would it make a shred of a different if the maps are a different size/layout etc? This makes no sense to me.

Because of what players put into them, all of the current 6v6 maps are premade and as said optimized. If a player were to make a HUGE map with 6v6, demons and loads of items, consoles wouldn't fare well. You seem rather defensive, this is not me having a go at consoles, you forget I have a console as well, this is just me pointing out the obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom