Do you like or are you disappointed about TOA

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
Some of you guys will love TOA while others will no doubt dislike it. I read reviews, read posts etc on my regular 2 US forums and came to the conclusion that ToA simply wasn't for me and quit in December 2003.

I'm just after a bit of feedback about it really, what do you guys think? I know it's a shed load of PvE content and an extra small bonus for those in PvP but do you guys feel this is a good expansion, or do you need a bit more time decide. Or do you think Daoc is now more about forced grouping, thus taking much freedom away from the player?

One of the most concerning critisms from across the pond was about top tier crafting. Many players simply don't use as many crafted items anymore, instead opting for better quest/artefacts for new templates. Many crafters have blamed ToA for the collapse of the top tier market, is this also true?

Do you think Mythic have added 6 months of extra PvE grinding for PvP, do you think you will now feel as though you have to complete your Master Levels in order to compete in PvP? Do you feel forced into spending a lot of time farming and levelling artefacts for PvP?

Do you think power gamers will have a greater advantage over the casual player, and do you think the days of the casual PvP player are now over?

I guess I was probably put off by a lot of scare mongering State side. But I'm also not naive to think that an expansion will always be good for the game :)

I was wanting to know more ;) but I know its early days

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I know a lot of people were put off or dislike the PvE grind. But IMO the trials seem very different from leveling. The boring bit about leveling was the sheer monotony of bashing at the same mobs for hours on end again and again. With TOA they have added variety and diversity to PvE which makes it more interesting and different from the usual grind. Although when it comes down to it I liked PvE anyway as it's kind of relaxing after a shite day in the office to unwind by bashing a few mobd mindlessly for a few hours.

emma

Loyal Freddie
I like it, the variety is nice the ML`s are good and dont take that long tbh, but artifacts omg there a pain. Not only can it take upto 20 hours just to get the scrolls for some of them, you then have to spend the next couple weeks just getting it to level 10 so its worth using.

currently leveling Belt of the Sun and Winged Helm and after 2 days solid my Belt is almost level 4 and my Helm just dinged level 1 today :/

Khalen

Fledgling Freddie
1. TOA Rocks
2. The trade market for crafters was already collapsed as soon as many others made crafters and all prices are like material prices almost. So this ain't done by TOA but just crafters and new people in general.
3. The ML aren't all winning stuff it's how people use it like any other RA. Thus in the hands of the skilled it's a lethal weapon but in the hands of a casual it's just another new spell/ability. And the MLs are fun even to do (for most some can be annoying).
4. Same as 2. The game doesn't hold much value for casual gamers in RvR anymore. As it's most of the times a /release against any organised enemy. This isn't done by TOA either it was always the thing in the long run. Same with any other game it will evolve and eventually it's only die-hards left. But those casual gamers spend more time in TOA PvE now and can still enjoy the game (like me).
5. If you love doing PvE, do many trials/quests for drops, farming scrolls for artifacts and have a blast with certain mobs that do funky stuff then TOA is something for you. The new engine rocks and made my daoc run even smoother (I already got a good pc but still it's better then SI engine). Customizable GUI skins can be fun to make one yahself. RvR been pretty quiet since TOA but that's ok IMO as TOA is soooo big.

Casualgamer

Fledgling Freddie
Undoubtedly it must give hardcore gamers with a lot of time to play a further advantage over casual gamers. But to be honest that advantage already existed. A pickup group gets ganked by a hardcore RvR group pre-ToA with just as much certainty as post-ToA. A small hardcore always start from the basis that they have to have the l33t itemz and they have to have this spec or those RAs. But will those things make a difference greater than the difference made by, say, a buffbot ? Or the difference made by having enough characters to always make an fotm group ? I doubt it.

So the casual player will still get ganked by the hardcore player - it was always thus. Maybe that ganking will take a second less time,but the outcome's still as certain. But on the positive side, the graphics are great, the quests are fun, and the new zones, while taking a bit of getting used to, are a refreshing change from the more familiar old zones. All in all, I'd say it's fine so far. It remains to be seen whether the uberness of the new items and MLs will make an already unbalanced situation worse, but that case is not yet proven.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
dissapointed, hadrians and odins empty and im forced to go emain for fun :p

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Very disapointted,the amount of time you need to get even 1 scroll not even mention artifact itself is just stupid.

Pogel

Fledgling Freddie
I have mixed emotions about it. I like the new GFX and it's good to have more variety in the PvE content. I'm not so happy that it's all so focussed on high-end PvE. It's all disturbingly EQ-like (high end raids, phat l33t, etc.) and I'm not sure that's what DAOC needs, especially when all that PvE content could have a profound effect on RvR, which is fundamentally the core of the game.

Personally, I think Mythic got it wrong with this expansion. They should have focussed on RvR and making the journey to RvR less of a grind.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
i lile it, seems to be very well done and well thought out, and some excellent new ideas like leveling items.

well done mythic, bring on frountiers :cheers:

A

Aoln

Bored after 1 day. Drains insane amounts of time and the novelty of MLs has worn off, artifacts are too hard to aquire, quests are same as always and farming scrolls is plain dull.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
Very nice new engine, runs much smoother now on both my PCs.

Very nice new items which adds diversity to the toons in both looks and stats.

Very nice new mobs to bash, they look nice and drop nice scrolls for nice artifacts.

Very nice new "quests" and they do take the level of PVE up a notch.

TOA is very nice imo. Sure one can argue about whether Frontiers should have been released first or not (i for one would rather have seen that been the case), but, Mythic chose how they wanted to do it and it is little we can do about it really, so whine about that is 100% pointless and lead to absolutely nothing.

I can imagine that the 1337 CS or D2 kids dont like it but I reckon most actually do like it, i've heard many people say how much they enjoy the new forms of both quests and ways to get powerful items. And after all, if you dont like it, there is nothing that says you _have_ to buy TOA or _have_ to play TOA. If you wanna stay competable in RVR you better get it ofc but then thats your own problem really, Email Mythic and cry to them, maybe it will help ^^.

Ranger

Fledgling Freddie
u need to waste too much time to get anything decent on TOA, spending hours and hours,.. ok you have to work for good items but im so sick of getting new armour and new items, just to be good, ok for peeps who have the time ... but dont really see the point tbh ..., just something else were people can be "uber", would rather run around odins shooting mids/albs every now and then, and lvling the odd alt for bg :)

was much more impressed with SI when that came out :(

and by the time WOW comes out 50% of daoc'ers will have moved. :mad:

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
I love it, much more fun then I thought it would be,

Downanael said:
Very disapointted,the amount of time you need to get even 1 scroll not even mention artifact itself is just stupid.

Been in a group of 4-5 people for 3ish hours and got 18 scrolls. I wouldnt consider that a long time to get those scrolls.
A friend of mine already activated 2 artifacts and got a whole bunch of scrolls only this weekend.

If you wait a month or two you can buy all the artifacs you need so you dont need to farm anything but your usual cash mobs. (and that sooo fun fun fun yeeeee)

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
TOA is very nice imo. Sure one can argue about whether Frontiers should have been released first or not (i for one would rather have seen that been the case), but, Mythic chose how they wanted to do it and it is little we can do about it really, so whine about that is 100% pointless and lead to absolutely nothing.
If frontiers was released first all the new zones would be empty. Much better this way imo, people do the PvE they need before Frontiers.

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
I must say ToA is alot more fun the expected, many encounters that requires tactics instead of the usual stuff and Artifacts are great finally something to maake raids for instead of thr usual GS raid where noone can use the rewards anyhow as its crap, i can imagine in the next couple of weeks RvR will be slow as most are investigating, so i give ToA 2 thumbs up for being very different then what we are used too, just a shame its been released random over europe many people wont see it any time soon.

Wabbit

Fledgling Freddie
Sucks takes to much time and it will only be a matter of time before some 14 yo kid kills any random fg solo (cos he did he time to farm 6 artifacts and get to ML8)

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
Whats the difference? RVRatm can be a group of random 14 year old high realm rankers that farm several low realm ranker groups with their fotm groups so there isnt much change. Only difference is that the solo player got uber items while the fotm group got uber RAs too ;)

Oh and ToA is great, much more interesting than I thought it would be and it runs smoother than SI client, looks better and some of the trials is an interesting challenge if you decide to do trials with less than recommended number :)

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
I'm loving it!
ToA brought something I haven't seen since I started playing: The random groups running around like headless chickens! :D Nice to see a few unfamiliar faces too once in a while. :)
Like the ML outlay, but can't really say too much about artifacts yet.
And ofcourse the gfx rocks! And I love the UI! :D
Yeah... Teh Cheese™ like! :D

Iskander

Fledgling Freddie
So far I really like it.
Did ML1, it isn't so bad as they make it out to be (but don't know if the other ML's will be this easy, or way harder).
I activated my staff of the God, and trying to level it now,but it's damn slow. Killing a few mobs let it go up 1% exp wise. But it's ok, as I can farm scrolls and level the damn thing at the same time :)

The new zones are gorgeous, scenery is great. it really is an improvement and I am quite impressed my the underwater areas.
I think ToA adds a lot of new and fun stuff to do. (Although I never quite liked PvE before)

Amuse

One of Freddy's beloved
Im happy with the GFX, and the system of leveling artifacts, but NOT the ML abiletys... basicly its becouse i am a scout, and we get CRAPPY ML abiletys...

we can call a merchant every houer or so, move enemys around to your GT (only thing that can be good for is ssaving your god dam healer if you have the time, or scear some1 by making them think they have lagg), give ouerselfs a bonus to encumberance, witch is +35, and run for ouer lifes for 10s, and then geting killed, instead of 10s earlier(talking aboute the 10s imortal stuff)

The only thing that i can see is usefull is the group underwater breathing.

Anyways, my cleric will get some nice skills :)

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Amuse said:
Im happy with the GFX, and the system of leveling artifacts, but NOT the ML abiletys... basicly its becouse i am a scout, and we get CRAPPY ML abiletys...

we can call a merchant every houer or so, move enemys around to your GT (only thing that can be good for is ssaving your god dam healer if you have the time, or scear some1 by making them think they have lagg), give ouerselfs a bonus to encumberance, witch is +35, and run for ouer lifes for 10s, and then geting killed, instead of 10s earlier(talking aboute the 10s imortal stuff)

The only thing that i can see is usefull is the group underwater breathing.

Anyways, my cleric will get some nice skills :)

can you move enemys to a GT set by you or? :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I like TOA its nice ... good variety of tasks instead of go to x and kill y you actually have to think. Even if some of the tasks seem a little unfair heehee.

I will get that goddess necky sometime.

But to those who say its a time sink ... woot didn't know that mmorpg's are supposed to be time sinks ?

Its how they work .. like the old mud's. I think its about time DAOC became more than mmo Quake and it seems to have with TOA.

Kelio

Fledgling Freddie
one new thing i really like is the BG, many ppl sure remember the following lines

- hi im a "class" can i join your group, i also need this done
answer - no we already have one,
- oh ok... the i just sit around for a couple of hours till i find someone else doing it and needs me in group :S

now it sounds like

- hi what are you doing?
answer - we are doing "something"
- oh cool... i also need that can i join?
answer - Sure mate, "name" is bg leader, cya soon :)

another thing is that ToA is so big and there so much you can do, sure ifyou want to reach ML10 asap then you prollly get bored after ML2 and pain your way through the rest, but if you combine ML ,aritfact hunting, scroll farming, exploring then i dont think anyone will be bored with the game for atleast a year ahead... its only those that feel they must be ML10 and have this and that artifact + ubah capped sc armor that prolly be the ones first leaving the game... Start enjoying the game instead of competing.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Kelio said:
now it sounds like

- hi what are you doing?
answer - we are doing "something"
- oh cool... i also need that can i join?
answer - Sure mate, "name" is bg leader, cya soon :)

That is a very nice change. Even asassins gets groups\BGs with ease :D

PJS

Fledgling Freddie
I'm in no rush, had ToA since Saturday and only ML step Ive done is the solo challenge 1.5 :p
I like it. Ive been xping on sobekites and Ive got 5 scrolls so far and they drop huge amounts of cash, you can get 7-8g + drops off a group of 3 :O. Killed a solo orange one time and got 2.2g :O (when you have limited DF access this is good)
Gives 'going fishing' a whole new meaning, love swimming around underwater dodging/killing sharks.

:clap:

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I'm loving it.

All the more after an evening cruising our way through some of the first Master Level with a three full group battlegroup of guildies in our guild boat.

Beautiful scenery, fun challenges, and well, if I take up Artifact Scroll farming I'll do it with an alt who needs the training, so I'm watching for more than scroll drops. At the moment, though, I'm just enjoying the ride.

Especially now the curse of the djinni stone is lifted (Netgear NIC - replaced drivers and I no longer LD on teleport).

Darzil

Linnet

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
That is a very nice change. Even asassins gets groups\BGs with ease :D

Yup, we've noticed this too. Makes the trials much more fun, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom