Do you like or are you disappointed about TOA

Glendower

Fledgling Freddie
Not bothering to buy any expansions here. If the basic game sucks, then no amount of add-ons will fix it.

Going to stay quitted until Frontiers to see if they fix the game.

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
hey i am a pve goddess of a lurichamp and i dont like toa.. what more needs to be said?. the mechanics of fighting are screwed up now with underwater fights. i am expected to go through that with all my lvl 50 chars to be rvr worthy? dont think so..

and wha about unguilded chars? where do they stand? what chance they got if they dont get the msg a raid is on? should they just quit?...

nobody forcing me to play.. yeah.. okay.. but it seems like i'm being FORCED to play toa if i wanna continue to play DaoC.. and i resent that.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:
Actually rvr is THE whole point of daoc, without it daoc would be justanotherEQcloneboringmmorpg. Do you really think daoc would be even half as popular without it? i don't. Tbh rvr is daoc's only real endgame too, or ok some ppl want to craft. But majority prefers rvr.
Utter rubbish imho! The end game is what you make of it tbh. Plenty to do in both classic and especially in SI. It's everybodys choice. anyways afaik Mythic is swinging the nerfbat quite manicly in 1.68 if all one read the whines on VNboards.
So sum peeps will have better stuff than others... that will always be. So just because my healer only is RR3 I should say "Fuck RvR! There are peeps out there who are RR10, that ain't fair so I wont go!"? BABBA!
I say it again: The game is what you make it!
DING!
The Cheese-counter is now open! :D

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>and wha about unguilded chars? where do they stand?

The lose out due to most people being to scared to group with strangers these days...

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
The new graphics looks nice, even in 800x600 mode (my Celeron 675 cant handle much more) Master Levels: To less can be done solo, yes this is a multiplayer game but i like to do thinks alone and besides that, its pretty hard to find a group these days, flagged lfg for more then 6 hours before i get an invite, will be hard with all that waiting time to reach ML10. Artifacts: No ingame hints from the scollars were to look and for what to look, and the world is to big to find it out yourself without any clue, so you are forced to read the spoilers on the web, pretty bad for a rpg game in my opinion. And the same as the ML levels, for the best items you need a group, no option to do it alone. So iam abit dissapointed about the MLs and Artifacts so far. Also crafting is more ruined cause most players dont need tier 9-10 gear anymore. So overall this new expansion have good and bad things, but i was much better if Mythic fixed the current game first.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
The reason there is so much h8 over toa really is to sum it all up is because as ppl have said they bought daoc for RVR.. and they havent improved rvr for a long long time.. and si= pve expansion now toa = pve expansion... i dunno about u but i didnt buy this game to spend all my time playing pve could have kept playing eq for that

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
si= pve expansion now toa = pve expansion = good cash flow for the company

The frontiers package is a freebie, somehow I dont think that rvr packages would do very good in the store. Most non-doac players would look at it and compare the price of admission with Unreal Tournament and the rest of the fps market and chose that instead so there wouldnt be an influx of new players to the game like the pve packages would generate.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Iceflower said:
si= pve expansion now toa = pve expansion = good cash flow for the company

The frontiers package is a freebie, somehow I dont think that rvr packages would do very good in the store. Most non-doac players would look at it and compare the price of admission with Unreal Tournament and the rest of the fps market and chose that instead so there wouldnt be an influx of new players to the game like the pve packages would generate.

Somewhat off topic imo.

However I do take issue with Mythic's use of the word 'free' since they are taking away the original frontier zones that people have payed for.

As to whether an RvR expansion would sell. Well it did on day 1. That is what DAoC was and, at its core, is. When Dragon Empires is released there will be another test of whether the 'pure' PvP model works.

There in lies the central problem that ToA faces. An element of the user base regard ToA as having shifted DAoC to far towards PvE.

The original DAoC was anti-EQ, anti-AC, anti-UO. PvP exp was relatively quick, there was no corpse recovery, people had access to horses. Zones were relatively small. All designed so that you could get through the PvE to the PvP endgame (i.e. RvR).

SI digressed somewhat. The interview MJ gave prior to the launch suggests that Mythic were looking for more players. EQ expansions brought in more players. Well based on peak numbers as posted on GoA web site SI had no impact on the realm population in europe. But at least SI was bug free, had a new graphic engine etc. DAoC got by.

With ToA there is a feeling - rightly or wrongly - that the DAoC pendulum has shifted far to far towards PvE. Europe at least had a relatively bug free release. Consequently a thread like this can be 'comparatively' relaxed about ToA. folks need to repost in 3 months say when they have a) tried the harder MLs and there are no longer regulat low level ML raids.

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
NeonBlue said:
NOT impressed with the amout of PvE you have to do just to get anything decent
erm... how about: "NOT impressed with the amount of RvR you have to do just to get any decent abilities"...
I don't like RvR but _have_ to do it to get Determination, Purge, etc...
You don't like PvE but _have_ to do it to get Artifacts, Scrolls, etc...
sounds fair and square to me :touch:

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:
Actually rvr is THE whole point of daoc, without it daoc would be justanotherEQcloneboringmmorpg. Do you really think daoc would be even half as popular without it? i don't. Tbh rvr is daoc's only real endgame too, or ok some ppl want to craft. But majority prefers rvr.
never seen so much rubbish in one post tbh :kissit:
I bought DAoC because you DO NOT have to pvp (but then discovered I still have to do it for some abilities :puke: )

Casualgamer

Fledgling Freddie
gervaise said:
An element of the user base regard ToA as having shifted DAoC to far towards PvE.

To be honest, an element of the user base complanis about every single thing in the game. Based on VNBoards and here, it's probably a fair assumption that the most vocal element are those who are highly RvR-focused, and who are into stuff like fotm groups. They're not the majority. There's a lot of people questing in ToA not just because they think they need the artifacts and MLs to be uber in RvR, but because they enjoy it.

gervaise said:
With ToA there is a feeling - rightly or wrongly - that the DAoC pendulum has shifted far to far towards PvE.

Only amongst the element above. This doesn't really make sense if you think about it. If the RvR folks don't want to PvE, they still don't have to. What's happening is that they've convinced themselves they have to PvE for artifacts and MLs in order to retain the advantage which they've already built up over more casual players through the RA system.

For those who are less hardcore RvR, ToA is a lot of fun. The appearance of high-RR fotm gank groups has made participation in RvR much harder for the casual gamer. Mythic has to do something to stop those casual gamers (the majority of their subscribers) from simply giving up. There's two ways of doing this. One is to increase the interest of the PvE content, which is ToA. The other is to make changes to the RvR system which will once again place casual gamers on a more equal footing with the hardcore, which hopefully Frontiers will do.

If Frontiers doesn't make RvR accessible to more casual players again, then I think I may throw in the towel. But the jury's still out until we see that.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
This sums me up too:

Teh FnoRd said:
I'm loving it!
ToA brought something I haven't seen since I started playing: The random groups running around like headless chickens! :D Nice to see a few unfamiliar faces too once in a while. :)
Like the ML outlay, but can't really say too much about artifacts yet.
And ofcourse the gfx rocks! And I love the UI! :D
Yeah... Teh Cheese™ like! :D
Random grouping hasnt been about since SCing and SI came out, ppl all too often refuse Thanes, stealthers and non group friendly chars too often, the BG system has done that the world of justice. Its great getting grouped with all the FotM classes once again.

Ppl keep saying its put too much inference on PvE, well I disagree. I think its added balance between that and RvR as it should be. The old days of leveling are long gone, PLing is way too rife, and SCing killed PvE off with the exception of farming for the few essential items like BOIs.

Two years ago when DAoC launched, it was 80% PvE and 20% RvR, these days its the other way round, and with frontiers, I imagine it will go back to RvR ways. Variety is the key here.

RvR is not the end game, in fact the end game is different for all players across the board. The game is what you make it, for some its an FPS wiv trolls n elves, for others its a hack n slash or RPG. Thats the beauty of MMORPGs, its the grand mix of all genres that attracts people from all gaming zones.

Zarklech

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
erm... how about: "NOT impressed with the amount of RvR you have to do just to get any decent abilities"...

He said it ;)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Conchabar said:
The reason there is so much h8 over toa really is to sum it all up is because as ppl have said they bought daoc for RVR.. and they havent improved rvr for a long long time.. and si= pve expansion now toa = pve expansion... i dunno about u but i didnt buy this game to spend all my time playing pve could have kept playing eq for that

The thing here is. I don't actually see much hate towards TOA, just a handful of people who don't like it and those are mainly RvR freaks who think the entire game is RvR. RvR is a large part, but a lot of people play for the community and the PvE aspects too, i suspect that if you looked at it in real terms the RvR 8v8 fotm wtfpwnj00!!!!!! players are actually in the minority even if they are the most vocal group on boards.

People complaining it takes 7 hours to farm scrolls for an artifact. 7 hours is nothing.

People comparing spawn rates to Evercrack. Aren't there some mobs in everquest with 6MONTH+ waiting lists to even take them on.

ML1 took me 4 evenings. 2 of those I didn't do anything and half of the 2 I did I was helping other people do the earlier stages. ML2 can apparantly be done in a few hours according to some reports. All in all casual gamers can probably get reasonably high ml's and some decent artifacts in a few months. This isn't a long time. 7 hours!!! i once spent 12 hours camping bloody askogfru for her leggings and then died to her! You whippersnappers don't know you've been born ;-)

As for no solo content. I've been happily whiling away the hours fighting green to orange con mobs solo with only self buffs and picking up scrolls/loot.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Casualgamer said:
To be honest, an element of the user base complanis about every single thing in the game. Based on VNBoards and here, it's probably a fair assumption that the most vocal element are those who are highly RvR-focused, and who are into stuff like fotm groups. They're not the majority. There's a lot of people questing in ToA not just because they think they need the artifacts and MLs to be uber in RvR, but because they enjoy it.

Only amongst the element above. This doesn't really make sense if you think about it. If the RvR folks don't want to PvE, they still don't have to. What's happening is that they've convinced themselves they have to PvE for artifacts and MLs in order to retain the advantage which they've already built up over more casual players through the RA system.

For those who are less hardcore RvR, ToA is a lot of fun. The appearance of high-RR fotm gank groups has made participation in RvR much harder for the casual gamer. Mythic has to do something to stop those casual gamers (the majority of their subscribers) from simply giving up. There's two ways of doing this. One is to increase the interest of the PvE content, which is ToA. The other is to make changes to the RvR system which will once again place casual gamers on a more equal footing with the hardcore, which hopefully Frontiers will do.

If Frontiers doesn't make RvR accessible to more casual players again, then I think I may throw in the towel. But the jury's still out until we see that.

Excellent post. RvR absolutely sucks ATM for most except the hardcore l337-FOTM gankers, because it's simply impossible for anyone else to get a look in.

And it ALWAYS the hardcore l337-FOTM gankers whining about having to do any PvE at all...I often feel they'd be happier if DAOC was just an instant /lvl to 50 and one huge zergbowl for them run around in. Maybe it would be better to write a DAOC mod for Counterstrike for them....?

Frankly I think DAOC succeeds far more at PvE than it does at RvR anyway, I genuinely don't know if balanced or accessible RvR is possible in a game that has to change and evolve as all MMOs do to keep the overall content developing and expanding. Certainly as things stand RvR is impossibly daunting to new 50s, casual players or people (like me) who play a lot but are only now trying to get into RvR.

I feel the same way about Frontiers - if it doesn't fix the myriad problems with RvR, which is in many ways the only avenue for character development (in other words, RA acquisition) after hitting 50 (I'm leaving MLs out of this), then I'll probably be looking for another game myself.

PvP stuff, at the moment, is far better served by "level-playing-field" games like Quake etc than by MMOs. Don't believe me? Try playing on Camlann now...and look at how low the PvP server population is compared to all the other servers, and how the Andred server over in the US has just been closed because not enough people were playing PvP to make it worth keeping the server up. It may well be highly significant that while PvP servers have low populations or in fact get closed down altogether, the co-op servers are always going strong...god knows I'd love to see a Euro co-op server, and I personally know a LOT of DAOC players who'd be interested in a co-op server.

Warning: Quake III analogies incoming

Who would want to join a Quake game if they knew that, regardless of skill level, the opposing players simply had better weapons/armour/powerups than they themselves could get? I'd be damned if I'd join a Quake game if the other players had railguns, BFGs and rocket launchers and all I had was the machine gun. When DAOC started everyone had the machine gun...now some have railguns and rocket launchers, some even have BFGs, the Quad Damage and the body armour, but a lot of others still only have access to the machine gun.

I honestly don't know if it's possible to make RvR/PvP stuff work for long in a constantly-evolving game like a MMORPG. Look at how many people now roll characters purely for the BGs and don't go near "big league" RvR...because BGs RvR is simply more fun and accessible than the "big league" stuff. And fun is what any game should be about. Population imbalance only heightens any such problems...let's face it, we all know zergs kill any possibility of "fun" in RvR, as it's utterly futile to oppose them or even try to...at least on Quake Team Deathmatch or Capture The Flag servers, players will shift teams on a match-by-match basis to keep things balanced, because they know that overall, in terms of gameplay/enjoyment for all participants, balanced games and ONLY balanced games are fun in the long term.

Are players of a MMORPG supposed to suddenly jump servers because their opposing realm is undermanned...? No, because you invest a lot of time and effort to produce a high-level MMORPG character whereas on said Quake TDM/CTF server you just log in, join one team or the other, and go at it.

It is inherent in the nature of MMORPGs that new items/skills etc will always be coming into the game, and the juggling of these to try and produce the holy grail of cross-Realm balance in RvR is nigh-on impossible to perform. Look at the way some classes perform so well in PvE (Necros + Thanes are the two most obvious examples) but are definitely not front-line material in RvR. I wonder whether the very nature of necessarily-evolving MMORPGs is just basically incompatible with balanced PvP/RvR action...i.e. the only FUN kind.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:

sorry but with that silly statement u just shot urself in the foot :p

you stated urself u dont like rvr...but yet say you have to do it to get Det and Purge..

Det and Purge are RvR abilities which u need to be able to compete in RvR....so going on that...if you dont like RvR...then dont do it...therefore you DONT need Det or purge.

i NEED artifacts / MLs to be able to compete on a square footing in RvR again so i have no option but to do it....if you dont like RvR then u dont need anything ! coz u wont be doing it!...

unless ur saying u dont like RvR because of the state its in these days...meaning zergs...fotm etc...then thats a different story...and ur forgiven :)

i bought Daoc when it 1st came out in the uk been playing 2yrs now...and i bought it because i liked the idea of a fantasy game where u lvled ur character gained skills/spells along the way and then could go out and fight againt other realms/players. Obviously with patch expansions etc things have changed...RvR is not what it use to be...casual players etc could go out in RvR and compete and have fun...hell my 1st char got rr2 at lvl25 and he was a druid !!

but when Scing came in and then FOTM groups this changed things for alot of ppl and alot of ppl are now put off by RvR or simply havent the time to farm for cash/items etc so they can compete....which i agree is wrong...RvR should be accessible to all who want to do it on a fair footing..without having to spend hours getting their characters equipped...or being the right class

I dont class myself as 1 of these hardcore RvR freaks as some call them...its just the part of the game i enjoy most...its what ive spent several months lvling equipping my chars for...to me its the end game.

So now TOA has messed all that up again for me...its means ive got to go through the PVE treadmill all over again...i now have to spend several more weeks/months...equipping my chars...doing MLs...just so i can go back to playing the part of the game i like.

Somewhere along the lines Mythic has to find a balance...where ppl who like PvE can do it all they like,...and those who like RvR can carry on doing it without having to go back to the PvE treadmill

but also make RvR accessible to EVERYONE again without having to spend every waking moment making sure ur char can compete

Casualgamer

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
It is inherent in the nature of MMORPGs that new items/skills etc will always be coming into the game, and the juggling of these to try and produce the holy grail of cross-Realm balance in RvR is nigh-on impossible to perform. Look at the way some classes perform so well in PvE (Necros + Thanes are the two most obvious examples) but are definitely not front-line material in RvR. I wonder whether the very nature of necessarily-evolving MMORPGs is just basically incompatible with balanced PvP/RvR action...i.e. the only FUN kind.

I agree with all you wrote. I think I'm a bit more optimistic though. I think it is possible to have balanced RvR. DAoC was originally based on the premise of balanced RvR - everyone could reach 50 and therefore everyone could compete. It was RvR, rather than PvP, so the game unashamedly wanted fighting to be about strategy and tactics, rather than the individual abilities/power of single characters. The relics and keeps summed up this approach. I remember that when RAs were brought in a number of people on my server, including some hardcore RvR types, predicted the end of RvR, for precisely the reason which has come to pass. RAs opened up a gap between the time-rich dedicated hardcore and the time-poor casual player which simply could not be closed. Ultimately, you could solo your way to 50 in random time spells, whatever class you were. But the great majority of classes can't solo their way to RR10.

Presumably Mythic put more and more of these "extra levels" (because that's what RAs and MLs are, really) for the hardcore players into the game because they were worried that those players would leave unless they had additional targets to aim at. But they really opened Pandora's Box in the way they did it, because by appeasing that vocal minority, they seriously impacted on the enjoyment of the majority for whom those targets are just not realistic and so who suffer a permanent disadvantage. From their announcements, I think Mythic realise this, but are too afraid to close the lid again, for fear of losing those who currently benefit from the extra levels. I'm hoping the fate of Andred will be a wake-up call for them about the relative proportion of their population who want the Counterstrike-type PvP, compared to the majority who want to be able to access all areas of DAoC.

Frontiers has to find some way of removing that disadvantage and re-instating parity for ALL level 50s in RvR. There's a lot hanging on it.

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
NeonBlue said:
sorry but with that silly statement u just shot urself in the foot :p

you stated urself u dont like rvr...but yet say you have to do it to get Det and Purge..

Det and Purge are RvR abilities which u need to be able to compete in RvR....so going on that...if you dont like RvR...then dont do it...therefore you DONT need Det or purge.
you've never been to a Dragon raid then, have you? or any other high-level PvE raid where the mobs mez/stun/snare like mad (especially in ToA even normal mobs can give you a 1:20min mez, lol)? hence Det/Purge are VERY usefull and sometimes (Dragon) required in PvE (I only got Purge so I could goto Dragon raids, heh) :cheers:

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
NeonBlue said:
I dont class myself as 1 of these hardcore RvR freaks as some call them...its just the part of the game i enjoy most...its what ive spent several months lvling equipping my chars for...to me its the end game.
Yes it might be the end game fot YOU, but have you ever stoped a second and thought that it might not be the end game for everyone? Some people dont wanna RvR at all when they ding 50, some want to do both PvE and PvP. Just stop a sec and smell the coffee and you might ralize that the world does not revolve around you...
and still no cheese for you!

And top posts by Casualgamer and Svartmetall! :clap:

Also another thing that hit me: As said before, most of the highscreaming whine, swearing and delussions comes from the 1337-RvRs... anyone else see the connection? ;)
And tbh they are digging their own grave forcing to get the artifacts doing PvE they don't really wanna do, cus they allready own the casual gamers, who are the ones enjoying getting mls, artifacts etc.. Think now.
C A S U A L
I say it again:
C A S U A L
Which means they wont have the ubergear/abilities after 2 weeks and wtfpwn every rr10s arse, like said rr10s seems to belive! :eek:
But then again, people always cries the loudest when they feel threatened...

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
you've never been to a Dragon raid then, have you? or any other high-level PvE raid where the mobs mez/stun/snare like mad (especially in ToA even normal mobs can give you a 1:20min mez, lol)? hence Det/Purge are VERY usefull and sometimes (Dragon) required in PvE (I only got Purge so I could goto Dragon raids, heh) :cheers:

nope doesnt interest me....

but fair enough if they come in useful for that then yes...like i said in my post...RvR should be accessible to ALL players

either that or get urself a decent demezzer on ur raids :p

"especially in ToA even normal mobs can give you a 1:20min mez, lol"

dont have that trouble am a sorc...been mezzed once in TOA..and never longer than say 30secs

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Teh FnoRd said:
Yes it might be the end game fot YOU, but have you ever stoped a second and thought that it might not be the end game for everyone? Some people dont wanna RvR at all when they ding 50, some want to do both PvE and PvP. Just stop a sec and smell the coffee and you might ralize that the world does not revolve around you...
and still no cheese for you!

Also another thing that hit me: As said before, most of the highscreaming whine, swearing and delussions comes from the 1337-RvRs... anyone else see the connection? ;)
And tbh they are digging their own grave forcing to get the artifacts doing PvE they don't really wanna do, cus they allready own the casual gamers, who are the ones enjoying getting mls, artifacts etc.. Think now.
C A S U A L
I say it again:
C A S U A L
Which means they wont have the ubergear/abilities after 2 weeks and wtfpwn every rr10s arse, like said rr10s seems to belive! :eek:
But then again, people always cries the loudest when they feel threatened...

whos crying not me....the person who started the thread what ppl thought of TOA i just gave my views...for me personally its not my thing but i dont expect Mythic to change jsut for me...and yes i appreciate that other ppl prefer to do both or just PvE....get off ur high horse and stop acting like ur always right...ppl play the game for different reasons and everyones END GAME is different...if u cant accept that ppl have different views/opinions on TOA then just dont bother replying...the world nor the game doesnt resolve round me and dont expect it too and i REALISE this

"Also another thing that hit me: As said before, most of the highscreaming whine, swearing and delussions comes from the 1337-RvRs... anyone else see the connection? ;)"

only screaming i hear is from you with your some what childlike "cheese" comments...as for me am just debating the ins and outs of TOA

"And tbh they are digging their own grave forcing to get the artifacts doing PvE they don't really wanna do, cus they allready own the casual gamers,"

Own the casaul players? i presume u mean as far as RvR goes? as in the casual players cant compete coz of Sc'ing/FOTMs etc...if so thats Mythic's fault in my eyes for not making sure that everyone can have fun in RvR

"But then again, people always cries the loudest when they feel threatened"

We hear you...no need to feel scared....coz i aint threatening you...just having a debate on a game we all play for different reasons :)

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Ok to all those really "enjoying" ToA so far let me give you a small example of the huge problem with the expansion.

One month ago, a new player joining the game would have to level up to 50 and farm for SC, this in the time of buffbots, free /level command and widespread powerleveling would have meant it would be tough for a new player to get to enjoy high level RvR, but it was still bearable.

Now with the introduction of ToA you have most people concentrating on one character (which leads to less alts being leveled up, which means less grouping for Mr. JustBoughtTheGame), and when the poor new player eventually manages to get to 50 probably soloing a hell of alot he has to do his master levels and artifact farming, but most people by this stage will more than likely have all their ToA bells 'n whistles, so the chaps going to have to rely on his guild to do them all over again with him.

Now PvE whores and Power Gamers please think of that everytime you manage to level up your precious ITAMZzzz xDDDDD

P.S. I will pretty much guarantee anyone that in 3 months time, or whatever ammount of time it takes to get the necesary artifacts and masterlevels, that RvR will be back to its old self, the RvR guilds will still hand you your arse, you still wont get groups with that Thane alt ect... you lot are paying for the privellage to spend months just to revert the game back to what it was before ToA came out. Enjoy!

PPS. Sorry just had to throw this in aswell, sooo many people (mainly the older players who hated the RvR guild era) seem to be under this amazing illusion that once they have their Artifacts and Master Levels that they are going to be able to beat people and groups like they did back in the betas, they seem to be forgeting that everyone is going to have these artifacts and masterlevels :eek6:

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
Tuche NeonBlue! Finally a constructive reply! :D
That's all I really wanted. And please forgive me that I state my views as well as you state yours. You just did exactly what you accused me of so it evens out now, doesn't it? :) And the cheese thing is just my gimmick and if you think that makes a child out of me I'm honured tbh. I rather be a child who can appriciate different aspects than a grumpy grownup who just want what's lost.
And please don't belive that the whole of my last post was meant for you. mearly the 1st paragraph tbh. :)
and yes there's issues that one might think that Mythic and/or GOA should fix, but just whining about it here (not pointing any fingers this time mind you) or on VNBoards or whereever wont accomlish anything tbh. If one feels that "Wooooh everything sux!" well quit or for the luv of whatever think up sumthing constructive atleast.

Ok Neon, you can have sum Cheese now! ;)

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Have to say I don't understand the whining of the RvR fanatics who whinge about being "forced" to do PvE

Wanna know the answer to this question? Look inside your own post...

Svartmetall said:
(but then I don't really give a damn about RvR as it stands because RvR sucks ATM

Svartmetall said:
...if you don't like PvE and just want to kill other people, why are you playing a game with all the baggage of a MMORPG at all, anyway? Why not just play Counterstrike/Quake/UT/BF 1942/Tribes etc etc? Plenty of kill-kill-kill games for you out there. RvR is not the "point" or the "endgame" of DAOC, it's just a part of it.

See how you dont like how RvR is atm, imagine you were forced to RvR I doubt you'd be impressed. And if all you want to do is PvE then please take your own advice and go out and buy Baldurs Gate* or one of those offline RPGs where all you do is kill AI monsters repeatedly. The stench of hypocrasy from your post is overwhelming!

* = Not 100% if Baldurs gate is one of those PvE repeated monster bashing games so I put this little star (*) in just to avoid the stupid grammar/spelling/fact police that like to pick at irellevant things in posts :p

-----------------------

selim_segor said:
I love ToA yes it can be lengthy at time trying to get the artifacts but whats the point in moning? it's more of a challenge to spend hours on somthing, when you have it you feel its something you have worked hard for so i think it's good about the artifacts

:bazbeer:

Time does not equal challenge

-----------------------
Chrystina said:
erm... how about_: "NOT impressed with the amount of RvR you have to do just to get any decent abilities"...
sounds fair and square to me

You don't need purge and IP to stand a chance at beating a yellow con mob.
You do need master levels, scrolls, ect.. to beat masterleveled, artifacted yellow con infil :)

Ok pretty poor analogy, but the point im getting at is that, the neccesity of RA's in PvE is not really comparable to the neccesity* (come three months) of master levels and artifacts in RvR.

* = note; the neccesity of Master Levels and Artifacts in RvR is not 100% despite the scaremongering on VNBoards, but it is still very very infact too high!

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
agree whining about things like RvR PvE class issues etc etc....aint gonna do anything but just annoys me that ppl seem to think a certain class might be overpowered etc when they actually dont have a clue about that class coz they havent actually spent time playing it or for some other stupid reason.

If Mythic had done their job right before they brought the game & the expansions out and had test EVERYTHING and i mean everything from class issues...skill/spell/ra's...buffed/unbuffed...anything u can think of then half of these threads on these boards wouldnt exsist coz there would be nothing to whinge about.

But the whines will go on...the game even though its good, in my view, could be alot better if things were sorted...both PvE & RvR

Now i will only take the cheese if its mature cheddar and comes with a nice bottle of Red Wine :)

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Havent read this thread much as loads of it is far too long, but i am feeling a little peeved as the box should've said "Requires DAoC, Shrouded Isles & at least 15 friends"

I have spent time with my guild out there, working my way through the master level list, but sometimes i fancy a stroll out with just myself for company, and do a few quests.

Sadly i find that this isn't possible as so far i am yet to find a single soloable quest for me, bar the single solo task in the master list - I am kinda getting the feeling DAoC are now actually physically trying to drive solo work, and late night casual visitors away, what with this absolute insistance of having to have several mates willing to help you all the way, every step!

There should be some quests which are specifically designed for someone on their own, and no, not just Paladins and the odd decent Friar, but one Mercs, Infils and Scouts are able to do without fear of yet another death and no reward. GoA have proved they can do european specific quests, so how about the occaisonal offering to the lonesome and less well armoured, eh?

Got to say, so far ToA is really, really, average... apart from the trees, they rule :)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
People comparing spawn rates to Evercrack. Aren't there some mobs in everquest with 6MONTH+ waiting lists to even take them on.

ML1 took me 4 evenings.

scrolls/loot.

Thinking back to my early EQ days - long before DAoC - there were some mobs which seemed to take 'forever'. I stopped when an expansion messed up my main. But then DAoC happened and .... EQ responded.

Lost Dungeons of Norrath introduced instancing. Turn up, few players, click on the task master and wham: instant 45-90 minute suited to designed for your random group. For larger groups there are instant raids. No camping needed. Travel was greatly speeded up. Corpse recovery improved from uber realms etc. EQ - unless you really want it to be - stopped being Evercamp ages ago. and the classes were fixed - all the niggles like pally AF buff overwriting Friar AF buff etc all fixed. Bugs all fixed. Graphics enhanced etc. EQ today is way better at PvE than DAoC. You can even PvP if you want! Several varieties exist on various servers. - and if ou fancy PvP you can even join one of the several PvP servers.

yaruar said:
ML1 took me 4 evenings.

scrolls/loot.

Not aware of ML1 being a serious issue - except that it had major bugs when first released. (I am sure some have complained but overall ..)

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
been reading all the posts here and i can say that Mythic did a mistake of releasing ToA to soon...RvR will be destroyd.ppl that can afford to buy ToA will have to stay out of RvR and that meens u can quit the game completly!

I havent bout ToA becuase i´m quiting this game...No Toa=No change in RvR=time to change game!

I have hade fun these past 2 years...i´m just gonna play EQ until june when EQ2 comes out...WoW will be the deathhammer for Mythic and Daoc in my opinion!

Why new artifact and stuff so the ppl with no Life can own even more in RvR so i hope WoW Will take the breath out of Daoc and mythic has to Close down the servers becuase no more money inc when ppl are leaving the game!

Mythic should have stayd to SI and Frontiers and not released ToA...maybe they should read more on heralds instead and c how good the Expansions really are to players...or read about outher games and try to impress this game better!
Daoc will Die when WoW comes...many ppl left when SWG came and more will be leaving when there are new mmorpg games released!

I hope u have your fun in RvR with your new "Uber" artifact and then u be alone when mythic screws up and all new and better mmorpg games take over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom