Do you like or are you disappointed about TOA

Light

Loyal Freddie
My mind is still not made up. But one problem i do have is that it sorta means I can only play one toon

i had also planned to start a new toon but no-way im gonna level him to 50 then ML's then artifacts .. kinda sux big time really :(

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Contrary to some of the posts here I think ToA offers alot for the more casual gamer, before I would often log on, few guild about can't go rvr solo with Sorc...ok then all that's left is to craft.

Now, even if not guildies on I can join a bg for MLs, go scroll hunting, do a quest or level an artifact.

Haven't slept for than 4 hours since Thursday.....got all sorts of work deadlines, when can I retire :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I don't have time in my life for ToA (farming the scrolls, lvling the items), farming cash and paying a crafter for armor/weapons and another crafter to add stats and effects, was my limit.

I've made a template with only 2 artifacts, but still time to lvl them will be huge, lvl10 belt and a lvl5 cloak Zzz :(

ML's don't get me started on those, I have access to Sojouner, PvE shite, or Battlemaster, load of high end styles (50-100% per style), after a few slams from my scout and close to ooe any hows. :puke:

But I must say, I'm impressed with the graphics update to the new and old lands that came with ToA.

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Ì like it, lots of stuff to do, huuuge world to explore, the graphics are very nice. :clap: for mythic.

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
Hmm, enjoying it so far - only problem I've encountered so far is playing a necro - pet goes beserk underwater now we have the extra challenge of aggroing both up and down - still, nowt new for necros really - still, so far so good...

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
I was all set to hate ToA and nto even buy it, but im pleased that I did.

For those who say it takes 2hrs to get the scrolls and even longer to get the artifacts then have a chat with your guild. Rigante have been doing nightly hunts in ToA for both ML's and artifacts some of us now have one artifact already with more being gained during the week.

I expect the fuss will die down in a week or two and youll start to see some more action in the frontiers, but for me ToA is way better than expected, pleased I came back, pleased I leveled another toon to 50 to take part and generaly pleased I purchased ToA now.

Zarklech

Fledgling Freddie
ToA is the best thing that ever happened to DAoC (Since i started) imo. I´m a PvE Lover. I love to join groups and gank some evil mobs that pestering my lands. I find the various things (Questing, Hunting, Trials etc) very funny to do. I say that the man who came up with the idea of ToA should be a saint! :). Those who left when ToA came don´t know what they are missing tbh.

No one on this thread has mentioned something that I like with ToA... THE BOATS! :) Hehe. Damn fun to drive around with a boat that you own :).

Oh one more thing. About the artifacts and scrolls takes time to get... ofc they do! Heck, if they didn´t EVERYONE would have artifacts! And when you finally get an artifact activated, you kinda feel great, especially when YOU did farm the scrolls and got the artifact :). The time you spent getting those things finally pays off.

The only thing I dislike is that friends (and myself ofc) need sleep! So I can´t play it 24/7, hehe.

Zarklech Almighty, Out.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
impressed with the graphics

impressed with the variety of new mobs...though it does seem mythic ran out of ideas when it comes to the mobs...you now have mobs that cast hib spells...you now have mobs that are really Bonedancers...and i had a pet the other day which actually was a theurgist...fun to begin with but then just got boring.

NOT impressed with the amout of PvE you have to do just to get anything decent

NOt impressed with the amount of time needed to farm scrolls...took me 7hrs solid farming to get 3 scrolls so i could activate my aritfact.

NOT impressed if you want some of the better artifacts these arent reachable solo...and some of the spawn times on the mobs is just stupid...1 am after can take up to 14hrs REAL time to respawn and the artifact has only a 1 in 10 chance of dropping...so worse scenario is that i gotta wait 140hrs before i can get my artifact !...and thats if someone else doesnt get it before me and reset the spawn / drop...which has already happened to me twice...guilds are going round killing artifact mobs not for the artifacts but for the drops they have...so again this messes up the spawn times.

NOt impressed with the degrade rate of artifacts...had my staff a day and had already lost 1%..repaired it...now its lost another 2%....same with my belt. How the hell ur suppose to get ur artifact lvl10 before is buggered i dont know.

But big disappointment on the Mls...i havent even started mine yet...i hate the fact that if you want any Mls..you are FORCED to group...yes some of you might say this is an online multiplayer game and that grouping is expected...i accept that to a degree...but i dont expect to be FORCED to group just to be able to compete or take part in a game.

Also i had already spent months on lvling my chars and farming money so they could all have Sc'ed crafted items so they could compete in RvR...i dont expect to have to do all this AGAIN...just so i can have the artifacts / Mls...needed so i can compete again

Overall imo ToA is a waste of time / effort...brings nothing new thats actually needed to the game except more bugs which will need to be fixed....

Fixing the old exsisting problems...addressing Ra/Class imbalances would of made the game much better, rather than just adding an expansion that does basically nothing worthwhile but FORCES you to group and PvE for months

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
well you could argue that any game is a waste of time .. you are only doing for entertainment value to keep yourself amused .. stop you getting bored

If your not finding it fun .. your losing sight of the fact its a game and it has a /quit option.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Well said Moriath, and NeonBlue it sounds from reading your post that you did intend to try to solo msot of the quests and events in ToA, as you mentioned in your post this *IS* a MMORPG if people wanted to solo stuff they really wouldnt be paying a monthly subscription for an online game and stick with a FPS. Still I do agree the amount of grouping is considerable, it would be nice to have some more solo stuff in there for when you cant get a group, or play unsociable hours.

Anyway Im currently enjoying what ToA offers :) its a good thing IMHO

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Im not disapointed, ToA is exactly what I expected it to be, a load of pathetic, annoying crap thats simply an excuse by Mythic to get more money out of us.

As for quitting because im not finding it fun, I intend to, but theres no other games out there of interest yet, and after 2 years of building up a character I love im not about to throw all that away.

But given the option, if I could shift my character to a server that did not have ToA, I would.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
everything mythic have bought out so far has been made to keep you playing and paying .. in that respect TOA is no different than SI

They are a business what do you expect.

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Moriath said:
well you could argue that any game is a waste of time .. you are only doing for entertainment value to keep yourself amused .. stop you getting bored

If your not finding it fun .. your losing sight of the fact its a game and it has a /quit option.

not losing sight of anything...!

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Nxs said:
Well said Moriath, and NeonBlue it sounds from reading your post that you did intend to try to solo msot of the quests and events in ToA, as you mentioned in your post this *IS* a MMORPG if people wanted to solo stuff they really wouldnt be paying a monthly subscription for an online game and stick with a FPS. Still I do agree the amount of grouping is considerable, it would be nice to have some more solo stuff in there for when you cant get a group, or play unsociable hours.

Anyway Im currently enjoying what ToA offers :) its a good thing IMHO

"if people wanted to solo stuff they really wouldnt be paying a monthly subscription for an online game and stick with a FPS."

ur saying if i want to play a game solo...i gotta stick to things like quake and Cs...what bollocks!

u only have to look at stealther classes to see that they are meant for solo'ers...or should be played solo in my opinion thats why i made my infil so i could solo whenever i wanted too, but now to get anything out of ToA i cant do that...other MMORPG games such as UO and Ashersons Call...though not nearly as good as this...have more solo content in them....

i didnt expect to solo all my way through TOA....but am saying that to be able to get anything benefical out of the game u need to rely on groups..which to me is wrong...epsecially for casual players...those who work or keep unsocialable hours...its gonna be hard for them...and i do think that is wrong

NeonBlue

Fledgling Freddie
Moriath said:
everything mythic have bought out so far has been made to keep you playing and paying .. in that respect TOA is no different than SI

They are a business what do you expect.

well if they want to keep their business going id expect them to bring out expansions ppl wanted ...or are going to carry on playing...mythic might be a business...but without US...there is NO business.

Si at least still had alot of solo content in it...and it wasnt necessary that u needed groups to be able acheive what u wanted...and u could still compete....

ToA is different...there a very few soloable artifacts...very few soloable Mls...ppl who cant keep up will lose out...and therefore will quit...therefore Mythic loses business....not good business sense in my book!

ilaya

Can't get enough of FH
I want my money back.. not just for TOA, but for SI and DaoC.. and my subs..

somebody has REALLY messed up here.. TOA is an absolute DISGRACE.

I have played for more than 2 years now.. seen patches and new ideas come and go.. but this is pure and utter SHIT.

if i wanna continue playing like i have been.. i need TOA.. but it sucks.. i didnt have a say in it. so i want my money back.

FU MYTHIC. stop lining your pockets with add-ons that the peeps actually PLAYING the game DONT want.. and give us what we DO want.
:kissit:

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
NeonBlue said:
UO... not nearly as good as this [DAoC]...

Nutter :p

After having a think about it, I've decided that I don't really care. I sucked arse in RvR, anyway.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
ilaya said:
I want my money back.. not just for TOA, but for SI and DaoC.. and my subs..

somebody has REALLY messed up here.. TOA is an absolute DISGRACE.

I have played for more than 2 years now.. seen patches and new ideas come and go.. but this is pure and utter SHIT.

if i wanna continue playing like i have been.. i need TOA.. but it sucks.. i didnt have a say in it. so i want my money back.

FU MYTHIC. stop lining your pockets with add-ons that the peeps actually PLAYING the game DONT want.. and give us what we DO want.
:kissit:
Agree completely this game has been going down in my eyes for along time ever since they implemented ras then scing the list goes on /sigh

toa suxs .. i think they should have done frontiers b4 they did another pve expansion .. more unneeded fluff ..

Laston

Fledgling Freddie
oohh i love people that say ToA sucks and then give no reason :) so far ToA has been a blast, new mobs. underwater fights :clap: and mobs that you actually have some kind of strategy, and the fact some events are so cool! like the underwater Siege ive seen (got zerged :p) and the new ToA armor skins looks nice to

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I like ToA. I am however disappointed about some things in ToA.

The new gfx: splendid. That and the new mobs and their superb animation, the water, the sky, the trees, the ground, armor skins etc - its all looks very good and was a much needed facelift for an ageing game in my oppinion.

The multitude of transportation options, like saling you own boat, public boatrouts, sharkriding, and lots of teleports are nice. I would like to steal a Djinn and bring it to Midgard tbh, the Ghotis could learn a thing or two from them :)

New items are always nice, as much of the game revolves around equiping your character to the best of your ability. The new options and choises introduced with cap bonuses and various enhancments bring more variety to toons. Not all warriors will have the same stuff now, or the same stats, etc.

Master levels... I absolutley love doing them - as long as i actually *get* to do them! They are a *huge* timesink and organizing the numbers needed on some are a pain, not to mention that its rare even now, this early, for any large number of ppl to need the same steps. So you end up redoing the same steps over and over in the hopes of doing the one *you* need when all in your battlegrp are at that step. But at least they are alot more stimulating to do than anything we have had in PvE before. Some are very exciting. Some are very difficult.

Artifacts. Havent farmed alot for these yet, only have one of the easier ones so far and have not activated it yet. But one thing that is a bit sad is that they tend to bring out the worst part in everyone - greed. Apart from that they seem like fun since they often add new abilities and utility to a character. I imagine exping some might take some time but then again these games are all about time, one way or another. Nothing says you have to hardcore exp them in one sitting etc, i certainly wont.

I doubt artifacts and other ToA items will ruin the crafting game - it is already ruined anyway^^. Most lmg crafters dont rely, on or expect, their craft to make the money, at least i dont. I only crafted for myself and friends before ToA since i hate to charge ppl for the crafting and also hate recrafting for MP parts and such. Will be same after, and i will keep relying on hinging to make gold. So no change there.

Teh FnoRd

Fledgling Freddie
NeonBlue said:
blahblahblahblahblah
blahblahblahblahblah
blahblahblahblahblah
blahblahblahblahblah
"Can I say it mum? can I please?"
"Yes my son, you may" *proud smile*
"Have sum Cheese! It's free!"
"No."
"No Cheese?"
"Yes. He can have Cheese, just not for free."
"Aha. I see mum! Have sum Cheese! But you'll have to pay for it!"
"Good my son."

:D :m00: :D

Noone's forcing you. :p

nikolas

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure there are many players like myself in a similar position. They are still undecided about returning to daoc to play ToA. So your feedback no matter how negative or positive is always welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to post :)

Drum

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I was not looking forward to TOA, the underwater stuff just seems stupid to me.

I have bought TOA, but I haven't logged in for more than 5 minutes since I installed it (then it was only to check out the new gfx, pretty ho-hum imo). I never had very much time to invest in an MMORPG, but had managed to drag my Pally up to 45 in the last two years, playing, on average, about 3 hours a week. Now I find that the finish line, which I could sight just ahead, has moved waaaay off into the distance and I find I just can't be bothered even to do the 5 levels to 50 let alone ML &c

I will probably keep my subscription going. It's nice to have somewhere to waste a bit of time now and again and, as has been pointed out, there's really nothing any better out there, but I haven't logged in at all since last friday evening, and I feel no desire to do so at all.

/jaded.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Well I'm really enjoying TOA so far (but then I don't really give a damn about RvR as it stands because RvR sucks ATM; I'm devoutly hoping Frontiers fixes RvR and allows it to be vaguely fun for people who aren't already very high RR and opens the RvR game out to be far more wide-ranging and multi-facetted)...

I was frankly dubious about the underwater stuff when I first read about it, but decided to keep an open mind, and it's convinced me now I've had a chance to actually do it. Fighting in 3 dimensions really forces you to keep on your toes for aggro/adds from ALL directions, and I'm finding roaming underwater quite hypnotic. The underwater environments are -very- nicely realised too, BTW, which helps. Nice how the fauna changes on a day/night cycle (sharks coming up from the deeps at night), and if you want a heart-in-your mouth moment, try being alone in the open ocean at night then seeing a bunch of shark fins skimmimng along the water...

Have to say I don't understand the whining of the RvR fanatics who whinge about being "forced" to do PvE...if you don't like PvE and just want to kill other people, why are you playing a game with all the baggage of a MMORPG at all, anyway? Why not just play Counterstrike/Quake/UT/BF 1942/Tribes etc etc? Plenty of kill-kill-kill games for you out there. RvR is not the "point" or the "endgame" of DAOC, it's just a part of it.

Great to have so much new territory to explore (and many of the new areas are stunningly pretty - the first time you go into Typhon's Reach it feels like you're walking into Hell, Green Glades in Aerus is just lovely), so many challenges, the new graphics are -really- nice, new drops, killer new farming spots, new quests...so thus far, TOA gets a big thumbs-up from me.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:
Im not disapointed, ToA is exactly what I expected it to be, a load of pathetic, annoying crap thats simply an excuse by Mythic to get more money out of us.

As for quitting because im not finding it fun, I intend to, but theres no other games out there of interest yet, and after 2 years of building up a character I love im not about to throw all that away.

But given the option, if I could shift my character to a server that did not have ToA, I would.

my thoughts exactly

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Have to say I don't understand the whining of the RvR fanatics who whinge about being "forced" to do PvE...if you don't like PvE and just want to kill other people, why are you playing a game with all the baggage of a MMORPG at all, anyway? Why not just play Counterstrike/Quake/UT/BF 1942/Tribes etc etc? Plenty of kill-kill-kill games for you out there. RvR is not the "point" or the "endgame" of DAOC, it's just a part of it.

Actually rvr is THE whole point of daoc, without it daoc would be justanotherEQcloneboringmmorpg. Do you really think daoc would be even half as popular without it? i don't. Tbh rvr is daoc's only real endgame too, or ok some ppl want to craft. But majority prefers rvr.

selim_segor

Fledgling Freddie
I love ToA yes it can be lengthy at time trying to get the artifacts but whats the point in moning? it's more of a challenge to spend hours on somthing, when you have it you feel its something you have worked hard for so i think it's good about the artifacts

:bazbeer:

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
ToA is fun for PvE, alot better than SI. The new zones have a console-game feel to them, going from desert to volcanic lands, to forest and under the sea! Feels like mario64 :p

I like the exploring and PvE side of things, but imo it will kill rvr. High RR groups with the right MLs/artifacts will be stupidly overpowered Vs random groups.... even worse than before. But I'm not expecting to rvr much after this expansion, will have some PvE fun and hope to get the WoW/DE beta and switch over. No way am I camping a spawn-site for two weeks solid to level an artifact... and then another... and another.. etc :x

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>FU MYTHIC. stop lining your pockets with add-ons that the peeps actually PLAYING the game DONT want

Talk for yourself, ToA is turning better and better each day you log on :)

Svartmetall really pinpointed the feeling for the underwater area, they truly add a new dimension to the game. Very well designed from what I have seen sofar.

>Actually rvr is THE whole point of daoc, without it daoc would be justanotherEQcloneboringmmorpg.

Both yes and no, you are supposed to go out fighting for your realm in the frontiers but claiming it is the only point of the game is a very narrowminded view of it. RvR is just one aspect of the game and not end to it. If that was the case, how come so many are pushing up alts to level 50 like there were no tomorrow? The game is a EQ clone no matter how you look at it, Mythic just bolted a plain jane deathmatch game on top of it to attract the counterstrike players too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom