Demon's Souls coming to Europe

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Can recommend this utterly. The atmosphere, the level design, the depth - it's a breathtaking game that you can't stop thinking about once you are immersed in it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Something new for my PS3 might be nice, it's not some mad Japanese game with a story that makes no sense though is it?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
It doesn't really have much/any focus on a story. What little story there is may or may not make perfect sense, but it's supposed to be a bit mysterious.

I wouldn't worry though. Nothing about the game feels Japanese.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Something new for my PS3 might be nice, it's not some mad Japanese game with a story that makes no sense though is it?

There is almost no story what so ever to be fair and what little there is you won't really care for it either.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
It's not the sort of game where you get a chat log, or a journal of events, or a quest screen.
A NPC might mention something in passing about an old legend, or a missing sister, and that's it. No minimap arrow pointing the way, no floating question marks.

There are a few touching individual stories and set pieces that might span a couple of levels each, but the first time through the game you're usually too overwhelmed to even notice.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It must be insanely good to be getting the scores it has without a really strong main storyline. I will have a look into getting a copy at some point.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
I really want to try this game I'm just not sure if I'm still capable of sticking with a game that by all accounts seem to be very very unforgiving, I mean I got pretty annoyed just fighting that room full of baddies before the Joker fight in AA :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
I really want to try this game I'm just not sure if I'm still capable of sticking with a game that by all accounts seem to be very very unforgiving, I mean I got pretty annoyed just fighting that room full of baddies before the Joker fight in AA :)

Don't bother then, this game is all about YOUR mistakes no dodgy cheating ass AI etc.

If you die it's your fault, it took me a while to get past the first level because i was simply making stupid mistakes not blocking when i should have etc.

You know what though? that's what has been missing from games these many years which is RISK and a penalty for fucking up and believe me losing over 100k souls can get really annoying no matter how calm you are :D

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Batman was my other fav game from last year, but it's a different kind of difficulty. It's not so much skill and reaction time, more about patiently learning the right strategy for each enemy, and not dropping your concentration.

I've lost count of the number of times I've decided not to wait the extra 2-3 seconds for my stamina bar to recharge before engaging that last enemy, only for him to stagger me and kill me. Or I foolishly decide not to burn one of the expensive healing potions before a trivial encounter, or take the 5 seconds required to equip the flame resistant gear, or bother switching to the magic resistant shield, or softening up an enemy with a couple of arrows when I had the chance etc.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wow, in presentation terms, the box, the strategy guide, the artwork book is really well made. Nice return for £38, will hopefully have time to actually play tomorrow!

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, I got mine today too. Really nice for the price.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
That's the normal version without the cd, artbook and guide which isn't release until the 6/08/10, still probably a misprice though should be around £28.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Deal was from hotukdeals but has expired already, might have been an error but will hopefully work out for anyone that tried.

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Two words: insanely hard! I was doing the tutorial, next thing i know i'm dead and in the Nexus with only half HP :p

First real death was the red dragon on the bridge, i knew it was going to flame the bridge but i didnt manage to find a safe spot to hide

now back to the begining of the level to do it all again (i see this getting tedious!) :p

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Followed a friends advice and used about 150 arrows to shoot the dragon in 1-2 down hehe

Also I don't think it's "insanely" hard - you're supposed to die at the end of the tutorial and dying after that has no real penalty apart from losing souls (which are easy to get) and having 75% life instead of 100%. Some levels i've done seem hard but when you come back to them with the right equipment they're much easier - nearly all the bosses have some trick which when you know it makes them do-able

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
How's everyone finding it? I'm really enjoying it - i like the fact that quite a lot of the levels have some form of shortcut that can be activated incase you die.

Flamelurker is a bitch! Got jumping down the shaft in 2-2 down to a tee but just can't kill Flamelurker due to no range attack :(

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I got rather addicted; finished my 3rd playthrough last night :p

Flamelurker's a b*tch, take lotsa fire resist (water veil spell) and keep rolling. You can always use an ephermal eyes stone and summon another player to help you if needed (though both times i've tried this, the other player got 1-shot). But remember if you die in body form your world tendency moves towards black

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Good advice guys ta - i only found out yesterday that when you die in body form your world tendancy goes towards black - i have died a fair few times in world 2 and am gutted i cant get the Dragon Sword in 2-3 (need pure white). I'm a strength / melee char and would loooove that sword. Guess it's on the cards in the 2nd run through (although with the difficulty increasing by 60% or so i'm not sure i'll be able to handle the 2nd run through lol)

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Aye I fluffed the tendancy stuff on my first play through as well.

You can do it two ways, either suicide in the nexus before entering a world - then you don't have to worry about dying. Killing three bosses will give you +3 (ie pure white) so you can do all the PWWT events before suiciding in body form 7 times to take you to -4 (Pure black) and do all the PBWT stuff. Killing the PBWT black phantom and primeval demon will take you back to +2. Bear in mind you have to do this in the same visit, world tendancy changes take effect upon returning to the nexus. For example if you're PBWT in 2-2 to kill BP Scirvir and then leave - when you come back the world will be -1 and the primeval demon won't spawn

The other method is die all you want in body form but don't kill the last boss in the world. Suicide however many times you need to get to -4 and do the PBWT events, then do the last boss and that'll take you to +3 for PWWT. You might want to port to the nexus and come back for the last boss it's easier (+2 WT is much much easier than -4)

If all else fails, WT carries through to your next playthrough so it should be easier to get PWWT. It's a right hassle but some of the rewards are worth it (Dragon bone smasher, Blind, Beast talisman, phosphorescent pole etc)

Oh and remember if you're playing online your WT will change between sessions - it tends towards the server average so either do all your WT stuff in one go or play in offline mode.

Bit of a wall of text there - but hey, bored at work :p

EDIT if this isnt clear, just check the wiki - its got extensive info on pretty everything about DS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom