DECENT mmorpgs?

K

k9awya

template duels are skill

all mages used the same 5 skills, then only the last 2 were different, most people will 5 skill duel if you ask

well its a bit diff now.

K

katt!

on paper, uo pvp sounds ALOT like tgh :eek:

tgh had built in zerg/gangbang control as well ~~

A

Alkoran

Originally posted by k9awya
template duels are skill

all mages used the same 5 skills, then only the last 2 were different, most people will 5 skill duel if you ask

well its a bit diff now.

But why does this make class based duels worse?

A

Alkoran

Also if you want a fully "of the moment" skill based game then an RPG is not what you are looking for, RPGs are about random factors and the differences between characters. To take an RPG and then fight by the same template under conditions that mean the best player will always win is to remove the sense of individuality, and that feeling you get when you win a duel you know you shouldn't have and even the feeling you get when you lose one you should have won. If they took away these things from DAoC I would truely miss them.

K

katt!

Originally posted by Alkoran
Also if you want a fully "of the moment" skill based game then an RPG is not what you are looking for, RPGs are about random factors and the differences between characters. To take an RPG and then fight by the same template under conditions that mean the best player will always win is to remove the sense of individuality, and that feeling you get when you win a duel you know you shouldn't have and even the feeling you get when you lose one you should have won. If they took away these things from DAoC I would truely miss them.

your opinion. dont force it upon others ~~

K

k9awya

Originally posted by Alkoran
But why does this make class based duels worse?

because 2 different classes in daoc are TOTALLY different

in uo, normally you both get many chances to dump mana attacking, also defending (cure/heal, big heal, etc)

daoc is like, style, style, style, style, style, realm ability, style.

look at 2 mages in daoc duelling, moc nuke nuke nuke win.. the other doesnt heal then dump back and try different tactics

Image05.jpg

K

katt!

aka, in daoc you have 1.02 choices on what to do in a 1 on 1 situation. in group situations you get more choices.

K

k9awya

in uo you have to react to what your enemy is doing, his every move

if you dont, you die :[

R

--Random--

yea k9 is right, in UO you actually memorise the words that come above a players name when they cast a spell, like.. In Nox is poison, In Vas Mani is greater heal.. Kal Vas Xen Flam is fire ele, etc etc, u gotta know what the guys casting before it is pulled off so you can already start counteracting it before its cast. so if they go to poison you, you start casting a cure ready to cure yourself the second it hits!

so much more complex than daoc.

C

chi_

This thread contains some of the poorest arguments I have ever seen. Ever. Fucking. Poor.

C

chi_

Originally posted by --Random--
yea k9 is right, in UO you actually memorise the words that come above a players name when they cast a spell, like.. In Nox is poison, In Vas Mani is greater heal.. Kal Vas Xen Flam is fire ele, etc etc, u gotta know what the guys casting before it is pulled off so you can already start counteracting it before its cast. so if they go to poison you, you start casting a cure ready to cure yourself the second it hits!

so much more complex than daoc.

That's totally incorrect btw.

F

Faeldawn

In answer to the origional question:

There are no really outstanding mmorpg's at the moment. SW:G was a bit of a lemon, Shadowbane is too easy and lacks any depth, EvE is dead (or slowly dying anyway), EQ and UO are a bit dated now, as is DAoC.

FFIX is released in Europe next year as is (maybe) WoW, Dragon Empires, Dark and Light (sp?), Horizons, Ultima X, Warhammer Online and Middle Earth Online.

EQ2 is the one im lookin forward too personally, but not expected till late 2004 :(

R

--Random--

horizons is actually a decent looking game yea, i'll agree with that, been waiting for that for about 3 years now :( looks so leet.

K

katt!

horizons sucks. the crafting bit is actually quite cool but the general game sucks :/

a bit like swg - the first few days "ooo shiny cool wow" etc. then it just sucks ;/

thank you betas for saving me $100+

R

--Random--

Originally posted by katt!
horizons sucks. the crafting bit is actually quite cool but the general game sucks :/

a bit like swg - the first few days "ooo shiny cool wow" etc. then it just sucks ;/

thank you betas for saving me $100+

i'll buy it for the first few days of "ooo shiny cool wow" then ;)

K

katt!

buy $50 worth of beer instead, it will last longer ;o

Users who are viewing this thread