Dawn of war 2

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I retract my statement. I'm a spazz. Wonder where I saw that then...

I need to upgrade :S

Adari

Part of the furniture
ive never really played an rts before but all the reviews make this seem a lot of fun

do you guys reckon having rts experience is required for this game to be fun?

Nate

FH is my second home
no, it's not rocket science :p click who you want to do something, click what you want him to do, job done :D found a great button to use was A to attack move, selecting all your heroes and then using that keeps them together but able to attack on the way to where you want them to go.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
no, it's not rocket science :p click who you want to do something, click what you want him to do, job done :D found a great button to use was A to attack move, selecting all your heroes and then using that keeps them together but able to attack on the way to where you want them to go.

you playing it on EASY or something ?

you do that on hard mode you will die in 5 seconds ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
I reprogrammed it as the game was too easy for me on hard. Using attack movement in Nate Mode summons the warboss, the avatar, sigmar, whatever the tyranids use, gotrek, etc on all your heroes.

Vae

Resident Freddy
ive never really played an rts before but all the reviews make this seem a lot of fun

do you guys reckon having rts experience is required for this game to be fun?

While this is an RTS it's not what you expect from a usual RTS game. It's more a cross between a tactical squad game and an RPG based on RTS gameplay.

I bought it without playing the beta or reading much about it and expected it to be similar in style to DoW 1. It's not but it has grown on me.

I'm playing it on 2nd hardest mode (Primarch I think) and at times it can be challenging (mainly on the boss fights) because your troops die quite easily. It tends to be a case of advancing from cover to cover and trying not to get overwhelmed.

I'm level 8/9 atm (Just on the wraithlord mission) and one of the things I haven't yet got to grips with is how vital it is to get extra deployments each day. So far I've gained none because while I get 5 stars for killing everything I only tend to get 1/2 stars for resilience and speed - mainly due to bosses killing/incapacitating all my troops. Also I don't thiink I yet understand how important the Tyranid infestation level is or how shrines act against this etc.

Mabs

While this is an RTS it's not what you expect from a usual RTS game. It's more a cross between a tactical squad game and an RPG based on RTS gameplay.

I bought it without playing the beta or reading much about it and expected it to be similar in style to DoW 1. It's not but it has grown on me.

I'm playing it on 2nd hardest mode (Primarch I think) and at times it can be challenging (mainly on the boss fights) because your troops die quite easily. It tends to be a case of advancing from cover to cover and trying not to get overwhelmed.

I'm level 8/9 atm (Just on the wraithlord mission) and one of the things I haven't yet got to grips with is how vital it is to get extra deployments each day. So far I've gained none because while I get 5 stars for killing everything I only tend to get 1/2 stars for resilience and speed - mainly due to bosses killing/incapacitating all my troops. Also I don't thiink I yet understand how important the Tyranid infestation level is or how shrines act against this etc.

the optional missions for gear are time dependant, the main story isnt. you can just leave it ticking over for as long as you like.

i capped the infestation on one planet, didnt seem to do anything either.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Played it alot over the last few days and it has one of the best entrances ever by a character.

When Davian Thule comes back as a Dreadnaught, bang he arrivals and speaks out 'I am Davian Thule meet your end' was quite impressive, espically as it was a hard fight I was in.

Really enjoying the Single Player, played a bit of MP during the Beta and it was fun, but I will finish the story before I dive back in to the MP

Adari

Part of the furniture
I bought it yesterday. I'm only an hour in or so but so far it's been excellent, exceeded my expectations, looking forward to mp once I finish te campaign.

Adari

Part of the furniture
Quick question though. I've gone through the missions on the first and second planet, playing in the default difficulty. It's been really quite easy so far however, does it get harder or should I start over on the 2nd highest difficulty?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Completed it last night, majorly disappointed with the single player campaign. Every mission was the same thing, fight your way to the opposite corner and kill a boss. Utter shite.

Mabs

Completed it last night, majorly disappointed with the single player campaign. Every mission was the same thing, fight your way to the opposite corner and kill a boss. Utter shite.

as opposed to all other RTSs. where its "build a base, spam something imba, go across map, and wipe out a base" ? :p

:D

Jeros

Part of the furniture
wish i could play it, thanks to my athalon XP however i cant as i dont have "SSE2" *cries*

*goes back to soulstorm*

Mabs

wish i could play it, thanks to my athalon XP however i cant as i dont have "SSE2" *cries*

*goes back to soulstorm*

for gods sake dont play soulstorm its cack, dark crusade was the last thing that was any good :p

Jeros

Part of the furniture
for gods sake dont play soulstorm its cack, dark crusade was the last thing that was any good :p

eh? why do people hate soulstorm so much, ok the planes wernt great but come on whats so bad with have two new races to pick from/fight?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Guys, bonus wargear codes are STILL available on thq-games.com/uk
You do not even have to own the game yet to register it and get your key :) Just tell them you have it :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Only play this a little each week, still really enjoying WAR. Liking it, even if it feels like Icewind Dale in Space Marine armour. Tried a skirmish map and it was like having to re-learn the whole game :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I am starting to miss the mass battles of the orginal DOW I like the new gameplay but I miss the big maps and lots of units and I miss Grey Knights and Libarians, I find it odd that a Chapter with a higher number of Libarians than other Chapters and there isn't a single one in the game.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
God I hope so, or at the very least some good modding teams, altering the game in weird and wonderful ways.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
can you say add-ons PLightstar?

addons wont bring back the feel from the original game. DoW 2 is basically a standalone ghetto expansion for the ppl that cant think tactically. and dont say this game need much of any tactic. i managed to play through this game on hardest dificulty a while ago without all that much trouble and i'm a fucking failure when it comes to tactical thinking.

if this game were so tactical as they wanted it to sound then i wouldn't have been able to play through in on any dificulty without having to cheat my arse off.

the game as is is somewhat amusing i guess, but it sure isnt warhammer 40k. it could just as well have been a futuristic expansion of dungeon siege 2 ffs.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What? It is a MP based game, the SP is in there just to get a feel for the game. It is very tactical MP. I think you need to rethink things. This game is different to DOW and I applaud the developers for trying to make a new game rather than cloning an old one with better graphics.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Just bought this as it was on offer at game. Can't get the bloody thing to work. Went through the stupid steam setup thing and now whenever I click to launch the game it gives me some first time setup box and then just disappears with no trace. WTF???

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Has it finished updating to the latest version? also you will need to install the latest version of Games for Windows Live, which is all well and good but my net connection went down the other day and I couldnt play DOW2 at all, GFWL wasn't something I have ever worried about but when it doesn't allow you to play a game in Offline mode even the single player or LAN mode, it is just plain stupid. I am moving at the end of the month and won't have internet for a week or more I was planning on getting the Fallout 3 addons and play through them whilst I wait for Broadband to be installed but looks like I will not be able to.

00dave

Ok so I downloaded games for windows live but when I try to run it I get D:download folder\gfwlivesetupmin.exe is not a valid win32 application wtf does that mean?

I swear this will the death of PC gaming if the developer keep this up.

00dave

Got it working now, can't say I'm impressed. The might of the imperium behind you and you get 4 squads, great. Did the the developers forget what people love 40k for?

Mabs

Got it working now, can't say I'm impressed. The might of the imperium behind you and you get 4 squads, great. Did the the developers forget what people love 40k for?

theres a few mods out there that up the squad size for you and enemies in campaign, so you get more of an army and get swarmed more

they all waiting for update after the patch buggered all mods up tho :\

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

If you'd read this thread or played the demo you would have realised that. The game tries to be different from the first, the gameplay is good, and the MP works well. Do not treat it like dow 1 and you will enjoy it.

Mabs

on a slight side note - anyone for coop campaign poke me, im well up for giving it a go :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom