Dave......Dave.......Dave.......

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nice.

They should do it at a discount tho tbh. I'd go and see it again in the cinema but for the fact I've seen it five or six times already.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
HAL9000.svg

Embattle

FH is my second home
I bought it on blu-ray over Christmas and I think it still looks great especially when you considered its age.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm a huge SF fan, I've read almost everything Arthur C. Clarke ever wrote (including The Sentinel), and I just get bored every time I watch 2001. I actually prefer 2010.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I don't think I enjoyed the movie because I'd already imagined it differently and nearly every classical music piece had already been used in bread adverts by the time I saw it.

I'm waiting patiently for Childhood's End .

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
2001 suffers from the same thing all Stanley Kubric films suffer from - a kind of detatched coldness that almost pushes the viewer away.

I kinda wonder - perhaps there's practically zero emotional content in 2001. It's an intellectual trip first and foremost.

But it's still truly great.

I'm waiting patiently for Childhood's End .

Keep wishing. I hope they don't make it tbfh. It's too good a book to fuck up.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I kinda wonder - perhaps there's practically zero emotional content in 2001. It's an intellectual trip first and foremost.

But it's still truly great.

Keep wishing. I hope they don't make it tbfh. It's too good a book to fuck up.

True but that easily accessible intellectual aspect came from Clarke. I still love the story and it stands out as one of the best sci-fi stories I've read (next to Stars my Destination and Dune).

I agree with your last comment though.... seeing Rashaverak on screen might completely destroy my image of it.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Nah, they wrote it together. Kubric was an intellectual too.

I knew they wrote it together (believe it or not Wij told me many moons ago), but the sci-fi feels all Clarke (I'm drunk).

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry for the threadjack, but Sci-Fi nerds, could you recommend me something to read? I don't have much under my belt, but I loved Dune, Eon, Ready Player One (probably as much for the nostalgia as anything else) and Wool. I've downloaded samples for Daemon and Hull Zero Three, but not sure what to start.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sorry for the threadjack, but Sci-Fi nerds, could you recommend me something to read?

Start with Childhoods End. It's already been mentioned in the thread and it's great.

Download all of the Culture series from Iain M Banks - he's dead now so stealing from him is fair game IMO :)

Edit: Lol, seconds @Vae. Seconds.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I've got a couple of his, but not had the time to put into them since my boy was born. Is it worth reading Culture all in order or starting with something else?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've got a couple of his, but not had the time to put into them since my boy was born. Is it worth reading Culture all in order or starting with something else?

I'm reading them all in order at the mo. Onto the last two. They're great, but not as in depth as some of the 50's and 60's stuff which I love. More adventure sci fi than the older stuff.

leggy

Probably Scottish
The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester is outstanding and has aged tremendously considering it was written about 60 years ago.

Vae

Resident Freddy
You don't necessarily have to read the culture books in order but there might be a few spoilers if you don't. I heartily recommend them and was extremely sad that there won't be any more. Excession is probably my favourite. Also read his non culture sci fi which are just as good.

Other than that I'd recommend Anne mccaffrey particularly the talent and crystal singer books but they are much lighter sci fi.

Also anything by Neal Stephenson which are not all sci fi but well worth some attention. He does know how to write a tome though so some are very hefty. Must read Snow Crash but I'd also recommend Anathem (kind of sci fi) and cryptonomicon (not really sci fi).

Sorry @Scouse but not quick enough :p

TdC

Cryptonomicon may be a bit heavy going if you're not in to crypto and heavy duty nerding, although it is basically a "how to speak to nerds" meta-book which is pretty awesome. It's also extremely relevant in these enlightened times. Snow Crash might be a better choice to start off with. That said, if you're in to the hard core peeps like Stephenson and you've not yet read it, try William Gibson's Neuromancer. I'd say it's easier (and certainly shorter) than Cryptonomicon, but the concepts are bold, scary and again, extremely relevant.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Cryptonomicon may be a bit heavy going if you're not in to crypto and heavy duty nerding, although it is basically a "how to speak to nerds" meta-book which is pretty awesome. It's also extremely relevant in these enlightened times. Snow Crash might be a better choice to start off with. That said, if you're in to the hard core peeps like Stephenson and you've not yet read it, try William Gibson's Neuromancer. I'd say it's easier (and certainly shorter) than Cryptonomicon, but the concepts are bold, scary and again, extremely relevant.

I think Stephenson is an excellent idea man... but I just never got into his style of writing or the way he developed his plots. I actually signed up for an online crypto course in order to understand some of the background to Cryptonomicon, but work got in the way of completing it. I mostly enjoyed the Diamond Age though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Forge of God by Greg Bear is an excellent story. It has a sequel, Anvil of Stars, which is equally good.

I don't really enjoy Neal Stephenson, or any cyberpunk tbh. I do, however, like Michael Marshall Smith very much.

TdC

I've never gotten around to reading Bear. Perhaps after this readthrough of WoT :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Forge of God by Greg Bear is an excellent story. It has a sequel, Anvil of Stars, which is equally good.

I don't really enjoy Neal Stephenson, or any cyberpunk tbh. I do, however, like Michael Marshall Smith very much.

Blood Music is still my favourite Greg Bear book. Its actually been donkeys years since I read any of his stuff, might be worth a re-read. There was another one he did with Greg Benford, Heart of The Comet, which would make a great alien horror film.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I wish someone would make a film from Forge of God. It is both uplifting and extremely depressing.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I've only ever read Forge of God but I enjoyed it. Even though some twat told me what happens about half way through. Not that it wasn't already blindingly obvious.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Eon is really worth a read if you like Bear, I really enjoyed that one

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've only ever read Forge of God but I enjoyed it. Even though some twat told me what happens about half way through. Not that it wasn't already blindingly obvious.

Re-read it and then get Anvil of Stars. The sequel is chock full of interesting science and moral dilemma. It's a great book.

TdC

ah boo, I hate it when that happens. that said, I loved Enders Game so perhaps I should give it a go regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom