Red Dwarf on "dave"

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
See I prefered the first one. Cats begining bit and the 'testicles' bit had me crying with laughter.

What I have always liked about The Dwarf is the stuff between the 4 of them and the ridiculous Sci fi stuff so I am not sure about them being on Earth...
... and where is Holly?
Watch episode 1 again where they're walking along the corridor... this is explained there (I cba to use spoiler tags)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
They really pulled it back, lets hope they can knock out a new series off the back of this :clap: :clap:

Kryten

Old Cow.
Loved it. Very unexpected, and had the hardcore dwarfers guessing right until the last minute.

Chloe Annett is still very tasty :D

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Only as far as second ep.

The Blade Runner piss take is brilliant.

Holicide... excellent.

The rest... erm...

Got to say the kid with the orange hair is worth employing in other future series :)

EDIT: Ok the Starbug car is awesome. And having it roll down Coronation street was very good.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Summation from me on another forum:

I didn't think it was that awful, but not that great either. Had some really good moments and really terrible moments.

Carbug and Corrie were dire, they were very out of place. Would have though a more traditional style Red Dwarf discovery approach (such as Backwards) would be more appropriate - a slower discovery of the situation through genuine clues. It seemed like they were all too ready to believe they weren't real.

They could have easily kept the same theme without resorting to cheap (and very poor) attempts at postmodern self-referentiality. The bus scene with the kids was horrible, contiuous references to Dave seemed more like a contractual obligation than self-referentiality.

On a plus note, it ended well, although like classic Red Dwarf it was full of plot holes. Really loved the lack of a laughter track, always hated it on the older episodes as it was used far too often and on things that weren't even funny/jokes.

The episodes struggled a little with the forced shortened run time and some of the CGI was absolutely terrible. The CGI scutters made my heart sink as they lost all of the charm and style that they once had. Their reality is essential IMO, and they should've taken the hit financially (Why was Naylor prepared to splash out buying a Smartcar that did nothing for the plot and only worsened the show but so willing to CGI one of the more iconic aspects of the original show?)

Would definitely welcome series 9 & 10, although as others have suggested I would prefer them on the BBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom