Votes: 308 55.3%
  • split my time between both.

Votes: 27 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
people say it gets dull but youre just not getting the full experience of the game and are going at it too hard imo :p

Nope, I pretty much think I got the full experience.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Sendraks said:
Nope, I pretty much think I got the full experience.

so you've explored every zone, explored every dungeon... jumped off every bridge, cliff and other such exciting fullfilling things? :p

or have you stoof and whined in IF/oggrimar/wherever about lack of raid groups and BG que's? :D

Gandelf

Loyal Freddie
Probably been said already, but with WoW, when you get to level 60 there is not a lot to keep you occupied, except for levelling another character, but once is enough anyway.

PvP is inferior in WoW. DAoC RvR is much better.

It's nice getting all your talents by level 60 though in WoW, whereas in DAoC you still have to work on getting your Realm Abilities, but I suppose this gives you something to do after level 50.

One thing I find better in WoW (much better in fact) is that as a caster you don't suffer from interruption as much. When I returned to DAoC, the first thing that was really apparent was how darn irritating interruption is! It's like, way over the top and needs sorting out imo. I know there is MoC, but it was nerfed for the worse. It's insane that MoC is capped at 75% of damage at the top level. It should be 100% for the amount of points invested.

All in all, I think DAoC has the edge, but only because of the RvR.

WoW is better from a population point of view and you don't feel as if you're the only player on the server, like you do sometimes with DAoC.

But the above are just my opinions. Others may not agree. I can live with that. :)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
so you've explored every zone, explored every dungeon... jumped off every bridge, cliff and other such exciting fullfilling things? :p

Yup, base jumping in Feralas for the win.

Ormorof said:
or have you stoof and whined in IF/oggrimar/wherever about lack of raid groups and BG que's? :D

Never. I have never done that. Couldn't see the point in it. If my guild or alliance didn't have a group running somewhere, I'd find some other way to pass the time.

I played WoW from the Euro open Beta until about a week ago. I think I pretty much comprehensively covered what it had to offer.

living

Fledgling Freddie
Problem with this poll is that most WOW players arent here reading anymore :D So it wont be fair to judge by it

Rigga Mortice

Fledgling Freddie
Played WoW from release, same server/guild as our Sendraks up above. Gained a 60 rogue 60 mage 48 warrior, and got the 6 other classes to level 30ish. Did UBRS/DM/MC etc... and enjoyed my time there. I then decided to take time out to see what else was on the market (EvE online had a 14 day trial, as did DAoC) so I thought I'd have a look around. Spent a bit of time on the US Classic servers and got Vamp to 50 over the last 2 weeks.

Personal conclusions I have reached thus far about the 2 MMORPGs in question:

WoW- Levelling up is more fun imo, even once you've done the quests on one class and are levelling up an alt. A different skillset means different tactics and different playstyles on at least some of the quests.

DAoC- Catacombs has greatly increased the speed of levelling, to the degree that my Vamp took three and a half days /played to get to 50 untwinked and soloing (I realise however that Vamps are one of the better soloing classes). Compare this with 14 days for my rogue (1st char) and 9 days for my mage in WOW. Which means its quicker to get to the fun aspect (for me) of DAoC, the fightin' and defendin'! But Task Dungeons and levelling are still as dull as ditch-water by comparison to WoW.
_

WoW- Battlegrounds have killed PvP. Bring back the battles back into the open world, rather than having to queue for upwards of an hour just for 15-45 minutes of action.

DAoC- The thing i found myself missing in WoW was having near-instant access to PvP, and better, RvR, if you wanted them. DAoC still has that for me.
_

WoW- An unbalanced PvP reward system: Take Player 1 who has played for 52 weeks for 6 hours a week PvPing (On a good day thats 3 hours of PvP a week after queueing, but thats not important :m00: ) Now take Player 2 who has spent 6 weeks playing 52 hours per week PvPing. Having same number of hours played, but under WoWs system Player 2 be a couple of ranks at least superior to Player 1 and have access to more/better items. In terms of weekly commitment to the game I have been both players, and I say it ain't fair.

DAoC- Balanced in so far as you play x hours, and provding all other things are constant, you get x*y rps. Irrespective of whether you took 3 weeks or 3 years to play x hours. However the old moan of the imbalance between RR10+ chars and RR2 remains in places.
_

WoW- Crafting. More entertaining to do, and quicker to raise. However, some items involved the equivalent of finding the Lost Treasures of the Sierra Madre to make this lovely Ornamental Chocolate Teapot! :eek7: I took 4 crafters to the 300 cap and another couple to 200+, but in general, very few of the high level recipes were worth the time and effort to get the ingredients. Excpet Devilsaur items. <3 Devilsaur items.

DAoC- My god, is there anything more dull? Yet the 1000+ recipes are very useful, nay, imperative, for endgame play at least.
_

WoW- summary- Early/Mid game good. End game bad.
DAoC- summary- Early/Mid game bad. End game good. Except TOA. and crafting. and... ;)

But End game is more important to me personally.

Oh and as far as the communities between the two. Yes there were alot of young 'uns on the WoW servers, and yes occassionally some were annoying. But time and time again I found out the mud-slinger/brat players were actually 25+ and just soaking up the ethos of acting immature and behaving below their years because "other people did it". There is an "I" in "community" and sometimes one just has to accept responsibilty.

So my current situation is that I am subscribed to neither. But I'd better play something I suppose (spins the Wheel of MMORPG... and our winner is....)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Rigga Mortice said:
So my current situation is that I am subscribed to neither. But I'd better play something I suppose (spins the Wheel of MMORPG... and our winner is....)

GIVE IN MAN!!

Come and play Eve!;)

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Rigga Mortice said:
DAoC- My god, is there anything more dull? Yet the 1000+ recipes are very useful, nay, imperative, for endgame play at least.
erm, is this a free roflcopter ride? I must have missed that 1000+ very useful, nay, imperative, recipes on my 4 LGM's in DAoC ...

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
erm, is this a free roflcopter ride? I must have missed that 1000+ very useful, nay, imperative, recipes on my 4 LGM's in DAoC ...

Well I have never seen a decent RvR template without 2-4 crafted items in it. Thats all he is meaning i think.

Marc

FH is my second home
Wow was about as enjoyable as poking yourself in the eye with a hot needle.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Wow was nice and playable untill 60. Their battlegrounds & queue system sent me straight back to good ol daoc.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like there is a lot of bad feelings about the bg queues, so i have to say that my opinion would be totally different if i had to face a 1-hour queue every time i wanted to pvp. Fortunately, being in a high pop server with a relatively balanced population and at horde side i have never been in a queue for more than 20 minutes and that's for AV, AB and WSG i was instantly invited 90% of the time.

Invisibul

Fledgling Freddie
played wow from release, still do, in great guild with some great friends, end game content is fantastic, hard as hell, very challenging and thus very rewarding when a boss dies. Everyone that leaves seems to becuase of the pvp system, can't compare wow pvp to daoc pvp its completly different, two completly different games with extremely different game mechanics. WoW pvp is as good as daoc's but for different reasons... and its getting better as the game ages.

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
i am giving wow more time, the normal servers are up for 8 months now, classes are very balanced etc, it's just that the pvp system sucks atm. Daoc is now 4 years old and imo Mythic had alot of time to make the game better, i'll just give it a few more months and see what happends with wow and hope that they change the pvp system in their new expension.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Invisibul said:
WoW pvp is as good as daoc's but for different reasons... and its getting better as the game ages.

This is the problem.

It was a good system until they released the BGs and indeed, the mechanics of the system are still very sound. Prior to the BGs, weekly honour points were on a sensible scale and good, fun, fights were easy to find and take part in.

Since the BGs.....nothing on the server I've played on and I've heard similar stories for elsewhere.

This is the real kicker. The game went from having a fun and accessible PvP system to degenerating into instanced honour farms for the hardcore. There are plans on the horizon to try and stimulate an interest in outdoor combat, but I don't have much confidence that the good system WoW had will be revived.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Sendraks said:
This is the problem.

It was a good system until they released the BGs and indeed, the mechanics of the system are still very sound. Prior to the BGs, weekly honour points were on a sensible scale and good, fun, fights were easy to find and take part in.

Since the BGs.....nothing on the server I've played on and I've heard similar stories for elsewhere.

This is the real kicker. The game went from having a fun and accessible PvP system to degenerating into instanced honour farms for the hardcore. There are plans on the horizon to try and stimulate an interest in outdoor combat, but I don't have much confidence that the good system WoW had will be revived.

Imo they could fix it pretty easily by: Adding a new faction for overland pvp kills, with nice new faction rewards, and: Reduce the honor reward for winning in a BG (its enough with the nice faction items you can get in them imo, just make sure there is something for every class in every bg).
Then make the bg's cross-server so that they would be open more on lower pop and/or unbalanced pop servers.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
Honor farming isn't any different than rp farming really, apart from the fact you do it in a zerg-free environment and you can avoid playing against gank squads against having to be obliterated by them because you were just in the wrong zone. Suits me fine, queues are the problem imo. Perhaps if you played alliance you found outdoor pvp fun, but playing horde instanced>>>>all. Getting jumped by 6 ne rogues while trying to xp or trying to even enter Gadgetzan was a royal pain and i am glad they removed the annoyance. Let's not even mention STV and other places were alliance gathered in group of 20's camping quest givers. They still do it actually, since when they go in the bg's all they see is 'The Horde wins'.

Necroscope

Fledgling Freddie
fionnel said:
Honor farming isn't any different than rp farming really, apart from the fact you do it in a zerg-free environment

zerg-free enviroment = BGs :eek6:

The BGs arent anything more then a zergfest

Light

Loyal Freddie
end game pve instances were far far to long, required far far to many people and were repetitive

and honour system sucked

like not playing a char on Daoc for 2 weeks to return and find u are rr1 again. gay.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
zerg-free enviroment = BGs

The BGs arent anything more then a zergfest

Believe it or not, there are more bg's than Alterac which isn't even the most popular one. Think before you post please.

like not playing a char on Daoc for 2 weeks to return and find u are rr1 again. gay.

Have you ever tried not playing? It took me about 5 weeks to lose 1 rank i was only mid way through and those were 5 weeks of 0 participation in pvp. I have only done 1 week of pvp since july 22nd and i have lost 1 rank...

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Light said:
jeez, such rubbish... you can't compare RR's and Honour ... you DO NOT lose any abilities or skills or items if you "lose" a rank in WoW ... :touch:

Necroscope

Fledgling Freddie
fionnel said:
Believe it or not, there are more bg's than Alterac which isn't even the most popular one. Think before you post please.

Think before you post? No need to be rude :cheers:

Played WoW for 8 months and BGs ruined the okish pvp who was.
If you arent intressted in FPS CSish Warsong it was pretty much le zerg in AV to choose from.

Cant say how the new BG is cause I havent played it

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Necroscope said:
Played WoW for 8 months and BGs ruined the okish pvp who was.
If you arent intressted in FPS CSish Warsong it was pretty much le zerg in AV to choose from.

people are never happy are they??? if people want 8 vs 8 team quake like team deathmatch games in daoc and get 'adds' (hence the gametype being mmorpg), they cry like newborn babies! but when they are given their VERY OWN zone with x vs x players THEY STILL WHINE xD

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
people are never happy are they???

qft

The this is though ... I think the amount of people that _really really_ want 8 vs 8 is really small ... something like a 100 players or so for Prydwen for example (including me) .. all the others are perfectly happy playing daoc like an MMO in stead of like a fps deathmatch... or even stronger they think that 8 vs 8 is the "wrong" way to play it.

So saying that "people" want 8 vs 8 might not be fully true.

Still gave you a rep for a good quote.

Necroscope

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
people are never happy are they??? if people want 8 vs 8 team quake like team deathmatch games in daoc and get 'adds' (hence the gametype being mmorpg), they cry like newborn babies! but when they are given their VERY OWN zone with x vs x players THEY STILL WHINE xD

Sorry , missed the CTF part :cheers:

Warsong aint my cup of tea , and I hope that never comes to daoc :)

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
fionnel said:
Honor farming isn't any different than rp farming really, apart from the fact you do it in a zerg-free environment and you can avoid playing against gank squads against having to be obliterated by them because you were just in the wrong zone.

Actually, the odds of running into a well organised, very well equipped enemy are far better in the BGs than they are in DAoC RvR. There is nothing fun about facing the same 10 man WSG group, over and over again, who have been there all day, every day, for the past week, are kitted out in top end MC/PvP gear and generally wiping the floor with everyone.

And the fact that they are almost always frikkin there means that you will wind up facing them more often than not.

Sure on the frontiers there is a chance you might run into that 8 man RR8+ gank group, but thats a helluva lot more space than WSG has.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Necroscope said:
Warsong aint my cup of tea , and I hope that never comes to daoc :)

daoc has CTF too fyi, its just called relic instead of flag here :rolleyes:

Light

Loyal Freddie
Chrystina said:
jeez, such rubbish... you can't compare RR's and Honour ... you DO NOT lose any abilities or skills or items if you "lose" a rank in WoW ... :touch:

so i can still equip rank 8 items if i drop to rank 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom