Votes: 157 28.2%
  • tried wow, and came back to daoc.

Votes: 308 55.3%
  • split my time between both.

Votes: 27 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tilda

Following the previous thread https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=41245, an updated poll, a few months (6?) after WoW release.

So, once wow was released did you:

Try WoW for a bit, but end up comming back to DAoC?
Play WoW fulltime?
Stick with DAoC?
Or split your time between both?

Rep points gladly accepted! :p

Tilda

Bellona

Banned
had beta acc, got rid of it and drank the money up.

was a disney game, nothing for old camlann players :D

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Tried WoW then came back to DAoC and here is why...

.. basically as good as WoW is the game does not reward grouping anywhere near enough but it heavily promotes solo questing instead which is much to the detriment of a great game. Then of course you have the whole WoW PvP shambles, basically the PvP battlegrounds were bolted on and the whole PvP system leaves you feeling robbed after the long grind to level 60. DAoC has many many flaws but at least the end game is worth getting to, WoW cannot say the same right now and Blizzard don't seem to be in any hurry to change things but then who can blame them when they have over 4 millon subscribers.

Tilda

Sorry, took me a few mins to write the poll!
Go go vote, but give reasons in your post.

Dorimor1

Banned
Stuck with DAoC, was tempted to move to WoW (thanks Twaize) but decided to stay.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Got to L24 in WoW - ok so not really high enough but by then I could see how the system was geared up to the younger gamers.

So DAOC -> EQ2 -> WoW -> DAOC :) back and happy

Staffzor

Fledgling Freddie
Tried WoW with some friends was really looking forward to it, got to lvl 46 then it occured to me that I was extremely bored and that getting the final 14 levels would be a nightmare let alone trying to kit the character out. Quit the game just as battlegrounds came out which I never even got to try after waiting for 2 hours, my niece now uses the account and she is having great fun.

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, I didn't even bother to test it out, because some of my friends had tested it and some showed it to me... Well, didn't actually see anything special to move into it for. 'Twas eye-candy (with too much sugar imo) and no special context.

I stuck here, had again some of my breaks and been coming back. Still am back and, well, mostly enjoying the game DAoC has to offer me :)

:cheers:

HappyG

Fledgling Freddie
Played WoW for like 6 months, reached battle rank 8, and had some good fun in pre-battlegrounds PvP. Unfortunetly battlegrounds ruined the PvP with it's insta mindless zerg fest, and PvPing in battlegrounds was more of a CP farming, than any kind of a real challenge.
So I'm back to DAoC. Game certainly feels old in many aspects compared to WoW, and I think everybody should try WoW for a few months to see what a new generation MMORPGs have to offer, but in the end DAoC's RvR is far superior, and that's what keeps you playing for months and years.

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
Got to 34, got bored, came back since the non-ToA servers came in. PvP just a bunch of kiddies zerging tbh. Skill-less sack of crap that merely looks good. Cut beneath the looks and there's not much there. (See Victoria Beckham for example..)

Tried EQ2 couldn't recommend to anyone except a chronic insomniac in all fairness...

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
I still play wow, did daoc for 3 years and rvr didnt really get any more interesting at all...

also, when i touched daoc again i got reminded of the crappy fps and rather old engine (its just not as smooth, and im talking about stuff like movement here) which gave me the 'from quake back to doom' feeling

tho i have no level 60 pets in wow with which i can solo just about anything :cool:

and graphics, well, i think the graphics certainly suit the game and it has like 10 times more models and animations then daoc and the landscapes have much more detail, so cant really complain about the looks...

the pvp is not that bad but the way the reward system works atm is because rank is more or less based on who got most 'honor' every week, which is more or less dominated by those with no job or school who play 24/7 ;p
(if you do battlegrounds, do it with a good group, running around solo isnt that interesting, unless you are a rogue like in daoc)

not that i play wow that often atm, because i usually do most rvr in Battlefield II xD

A

Aoln

Never even tried it, it looked shit, sounded shit, never really tickled my fancy.

polza

Loyal Freddie
wnt this be abit biased seeing as not many peps who play wow 4 gd will check daoc Fhs section

Lestat

Fledgling Freddie
I got to lvl 60on my undead warrior and roled a mage to see if it was more fun, but at lvl 36 on my ice bitch wow died for me... No fun at all doing the same raids and quests over and OVER again.. Naaah.. Bether do some daoc, no mmorpg got a pvp system that is as fun and addictive as the pvp daoc can offer! :clap: Remember that guys!!

... ToA might suck sometimes, but when its done theres a hole lot of fun to do if you can deticate just a few hours a day on this game!

Ssera

Fledgling Freddie
Voted - played WoW then came back to daoc.

Played until I get my mount (which is supposed to change your life in WoW) but when I realised that the only difference it offered me was.... well nothing (sure you get to quest places quicker, but they're farther away than before so in the end it takes the same amount of time) I finally decided to leave.

Crafting was nice - much nicer than daoc just because you don't spend hours and hours hearing "bling", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "bling", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "bling", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "dum", "bling"... you get the point (no pun intended :p).

PvP, never really tried it - don't like the idea of "instanced" PvP though, I want to be able to log on at any time and go and roam in the frontiers. Then again I never tried it so it's possible I'm wrong about this. Also didn't like the fact that you could come across someone from an enemy realm in WoW pretty much anywhere, but if you didn't have a PvP flag - nothing would happen. In DAoC, when you cross an enemy player you really get the urge to kill them as quickly as possible. You don't get the same feeling of "belonging to a realm" in WoW as you DAoC.

Finally... this "next generation" thing people have with WoW. Surprise - it's not "next generation". You kill monsters to get xp (either directly or through quest rewards) to gain levels to get new skills. Where's the "next generation" in that? Furthermore in WoW you either quest or you... quest. At least DAoC you can chose to quest if you want or just roam and explore and bash mobs. There's just much more freedom in DAoC than in WoW.

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
polza said:
wnt this be abit biased seeing as not many peps who play wow 4 gd will check daoc Fhs section

Some how true. But many kiddies who moved to WoW dont feel the WoW forums is enough for them, so they come here and flame DAOC.

I tried WoW but came back pretty fast. The game just didnt catch me at all. Dno if its the graphics or me being too addicted to WoW.
I tried alot of other MMORPGs. EQ2, SWG, GW etc and I just felt immersed into them at start, but feeling only last 2 weeks or so. Then I always return to DAOC >.< However now and then I tend to waste cash renewing either EQ2 or SWG just to login and get the feeling. So I guess I first will quit DAOC when they shut down the servers/or community disapears?

Lestat

Fledgling Freddie
cemi0 said:
Some how true. But many kiddies who moved to WoW dont feel the WoW forums is enough for them, so they come here and flame DAOC.

I tried WoW but came back pretty fast. The game just didnt catch me at all. Dno if its the graphics or me being too addicted to WoW.

addicted ro WoW or do you meen daoc? :D Danish dynamite imo.. Kids come here and flame wow, and some of the daoc kids go to the blizzard forums to flame wow, thats just natural. I feel sorry for the lost souls that like wow, but all got the rights to like what they whant.

edit fixed your quote marks - Tilda

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Played WoW in beta and retail. Got to about 34 i think in retail with a Mage. The graphics in the game are gorgeous but maybe an aquired taste for some.

WoW had many ooh and aah moments, like when you first entered Stormwynd, I loved the atmosphere and music in that place. It felt like a capital city should be, when you compare it to Camelot anyway. Also flying into Ironforge for the first time impressed me also. Also turning my mate into a sheep in a duel for the first time reduced to me to tears of laughter, especially when I did it again. :D

And the /train emote was just the best thing ever "CHOO CHOO! CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA!" :)

But at the end of the day its the gameplay that holds a game together and makes you want to play it and for me Camelot has better gameplay.

Would have like to have got to 60 I suppose, maybe one day I will......

Oysterboy

Fledgling Freddie
I played WoW daily from release up until about a month ago. When I got my mage to 60 I tried the battlefield a couple of times, but didn't like it much.

I started leveling a warrior, got him to lvl 47... then I began to feel bored.

The quests in WoW are mostly great imo, but they sort of lose a bit of their charm when you've done them before.

Playing DAoC daily again now, like I did for a couple of years before WoW came, and mostly enjoying it a lot. (Except maybe when leveling Golden Scarab Vest... it levels so damn slow :( )

:)

Tilda

polza said:

No because the original poll is here.
It was originally aimed at people who were playing daoc, and trying to see how many would leave for wow.
Its not aimed at seeing how many people, when compared to all those who said they'ed move to wow in the first poll acctually stayed there.
If people from the wow forum comes, it will mess up the results as fewer of them were likeley to have voted in the original.

Tilda

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:
Played WoW in beta and retail. Got to about 34 i think in retail with a Mage. The graphics in the game are gorgeous but maybe an aquired taste for some.

WoW had many ooh and aah moments, like when you first entered Stormwynd, I loved the atmosphere and music in that place. It felt like a capital city should be, when you compare it to Camelot anyway. Also flying into Ironforge for the first time impressed me also. Also turning my mate into a sheep in a duel for the first time reduced to me to tears of laughter, especially when I did it again. :D
Aye, concerning atmosphere Mythic can learn a thing of two from Blizzard. Despite I hate WoW, I did enjoy the atmosphere, it was pretty good.

Niroth

One of Freddy's beloved
Quit DAoC and played WoW for about a month, then grew bored.

Back and stuck in DAoC again

Himse

FH is my second home
Stuck with daoc..

WoW is too fucking boring, no matter what anyone tells me.. i dont want to spend my life questing, then going to MC do just pve more and more.

boring :d

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Played WoW from day 1 of closed Euro beta. Played toons of pretty much every race/class combo during the beta.
Started levelling up a Night Elf Druid (my favourite toon from beta), got to level 26 before realising not only had I gone through all the quests at least six times before, but I was mostly playing solo with only the dreadful /1 general channel for company and occasionally some guildchat.

For me, personally, while WoW has some nice touches, it just doesn't have the depth to it that drew me into DAoC.
Now, whether that is because the DAoC world is based on Arthurian myth, Irish legend, Norse tales that I am familiar with and the WoW world is a completely made up one I don't know (although I've avidly played Warcraft I, II and III so I know the back story).

DAoC can learn things from WoW however - the crafting system is far superior in WoW, as is the ability to transfer things between characters using the postal system - no more chances of being scammed by some random idiot in Aegirs :)

All in all though, for me, WoW is a lightweight game aimed at the younger end of the gaming market and first time MMORPG players and you can tell by the general level of community/forums/in game comments.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Cadiva said:
All in all though, for me, WoW is a lightweight game aimed at the younger end of the gaming market and first time MMORPG players and you can tell by the general level of community/forums/in game comments.

what was the reason again goa removed their 'official' boards? :rolleyes:

Raguel

Fledgling Freddie
i played WoW for 4 months, liked the graphics, like the engine, liked the crafting but it didn't really have the atmosphere DAoC has...

The reason i finally quitted was that while playing WoW i was still thinkin about memorable moments in DAoC....like my first glowy weapon (on lvl36 or summit); my first mp-order (as an weaponcrafter in C Diogel) and endless chattin' with other diogel crafters :) , my first kill with my scout (2 shotted Domain in old Odin's Gate)...and that's what made me come back forever (till the next Mythic game since i believe nobody else can make mmorpg's as good as they).

Oh during DAoC i tried several mmorpgs also, just checkin the market but none of em really caught me :) and i tried Horizons, GuildWars, Everquest 2, Asherons Call 2,....

septic

Fledgling Freddie
Raguel said:
liked the graphics, like the engine, liked the crafting but it didn't really have the atmosphere DAoC has...
Have to agree with you here. I got to level 58, went on holiday for a week, came back and just didn't log back on :drink: Talk about addictive...I've not played DAoC since WoW was released, I'm going to re-open my DAoC accocunt for a month, once i dig my cd's and keycodes out from under the stairs and see if its still got it.
Will my toon's still be there? Or will i have to start from scratch again?

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
I quit daoc to play WoW retail with a group of old daoc friends. Like someone said earlier, to begin with i was liek oO this is different. However after the initial days of grouping with friends and having a GREAT time, sometimes people wern't always on line at the same time. This meant grouping with other people....this is where you realise the people who play WoW are a lot younger and in some cases immature and anoying.

The atmosphere and community of WoW is nothing compared to daoc. I suppose it could be becuase the daoc community is more compact (only 3 servers) and has these boards. In WoW i missed grouping just to kill mobs/large raids, and meeting mature people like you do in daoc.

In early daoc times, certain mobs and raids gained presteige or myth such as (for me as an Alb): Dragon, Barfog mobs, Legion and DF and later sidi. I know WoW has the same style raids and mobs, but the awe and mystique just wasnt there for me. Sort of hard to explain. Similarly in daoc certain early guilds and players gained presteige or celebrity. I think this helped bind the community and give it individuality. For example on Albion prydwen Soulfly/Thiralith and Servants of The Lake became idols becuase of what they did.....in WoW i didnt have a clue who the first level 60 on my server was/ who was the best guild/who did MC sequence first.

All in all, i felt that i belonged to something in daoc...WoW was fun, but it just felt as you were there on your own.
May not make a lot of sense, but just my view.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Stuck with DAoC

Tried wow US beta, thought it sucked

So i closed my beta account, gave them feedback by means of telling them they suck, then i played more daoc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom