Politics Coronavirus

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Ive heard a few people going to the vaccination centres and asking them to give them a ring if at the end of the day they have any vaccines left over.
They usually get a call within a day or two to say "Come down to get vaccine in 15 mins as we are about to close and have some spare".

One way to jump the "queue" I guess.
Locally they have been telling people to come at the end of the day as they nearly always have extra available. Most of the staff at the large vaccine centers are trained volunteers, not NHS staff.

get mine Sat morning (appointment).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Deaths saved by lockdowns in Europe (11 countries) from February > 4th May 2020 (so a tiny period): 3.1 million

That's 4 months, out of 13 in the European pandemic so far...

So you're using a paper based on computer modelling which assumed lockdowns saved thousands of lives to prove that lockdowns saved thousands of lives.

Don't think I need to say much more tbh. Other than - care to find some actual observational data to back that up?

Still, good to see you don't give a fuck about the poor, children, and all the other groups who have been fucked over by one of the greatest policy failures since Suez.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Still, good to see you don't give a fuck about the poor, children, and all the other groups who have been fucked over by one of the greatest policy failures since Suez.

*Yawn*

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So you're using a paper based on computer modelling which assumed lockdowns saved thousands of lives to prove that lockdowns saved thousands of lives.

Don't think I need to say much more tbh. Other than - care to find some actual observational data to back that up?
Awww. You're having brain-fail again.

Answer this question: How are you supposed to observe deaths that didn't happen?

I'll let that sit there for a while so everyone can recognise the observational data that you're presenting that shows you lack a conceptual grasp on how science actually works.

In the meantime, I'll continue to accept the analysis done by the multiple professionals at the MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis, Jameel Institute for Disease and Emergency Analytics and the Department of Mathematics at Imperial College London who's whole reason for existence is to understand all of this at a very deep level so we can intelligently guide policy.

Their 3.1 million deaths saved (2.8-3.5m - in the first four months alone) figure is the best available estimate from our "best in class" professionals who's whole job is accurate information dissemination.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sorry, I can't stop laughing at the concept of Imperial College being described as "Best in Class Professionals". Given Ferguson's record with Foot and Mouth, Swine Flu and now COVID, I have absolutely no idea how you can say that with a straight face. All of their modelling throughout this has been woefully inaccurate - like the "70% more transmissable" Kent strain that was closer to 6%, or the 60% reinfection in Brazil guff they came up with last week based on an outlying study from Manaus.

Probably where the phrase "Out by a Ferguson" comes from.

Gwadien

Sorry, I can't stop laughing at the concept of Imperial College being described as "Best in Class Professionals". Given Ferguson's record with Foot and Mouth, Swine Flu and now COVID, I have absolutely no idea how you can say that with a straight face. All of their modelling throughout this has been woefully inaccurate - like the "70% more transmissable" Kent strain that was closer to 6%, or the 60% reinfection in Brazil guff they came up with last week based on an outlying study from Manaus.

Probably where the phrase "Out by a Ferguson" comes from.

I can't stop laughing at the concept that you give a shit about children, poor people & mental health.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I can't stop laughing at the concept that you give a shit about children, poor people & mental health.
And that I don't, somehow, because I think saving lives is more important than temporary suffering.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I would like a full breakdown of that £22bn and I would also like the people at the top to be in prison over it. Because it's fucking bullshit.

I travelled abroad five times last year, I filled out the forms online, nobody stopped me, nobody asked for proof, nobody phoned me up to check I was isolating on return.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I would like a full breakdown of that £22bn and I would also like the people at the top to be in prison over it. Because it's fucking bullshit.

I travelled abroad five times last year, I filled out the forms online, nobody stopped me, nobody asked for proof, nobody phoned me up to check I was isolating on return.
Laughing emoji not because I don't agree with you, but because the thought of this government being held accountable for their mistakes / criminal activities is so absurd.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

I love british strikes.
When did real life and Facebook get swapped over FFS. First it was "clap for" which is basically as useless as hitting a like button now they want "slow clap" which is basically a dislike equivalent. Can't these people all just do something mildly useful instead of this pointless noise making shit.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I love british strikes.
Seems clapping is used for everything now. Or calls for it and i dont see anyone out doing it. Do they know that any money they get they are going tohave to pay for in higher taxes? Would love everyone to be paid loads but especially those who are paid out of the public purse in times when the deficit has never been higher is counter productive.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seems clapping is used for everything now. Or calls for it and i dont see anyone out doing it. Do they know that any money they get they are going tohave to pay for in higher taxes? Would love everyone to be paid loads but especially those who are paid out of the public purse in times when the deficit has never been higher is counter productive.
It's a bit shit asking every nurse to take a pay cut (because that's what a 1% rise is) - just after they've spent the entire year looking after covid.

You're paying higher taxes anyway @Moriath - by 2026, significantly so.

With the billions being spunked criminally on Tory friends during covid maybe we should look at obscene wealth (have a look at this - wealth to scale) rather than nurses who on average get paid less than £25k for sources of covid reparations.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's a bit shit asking every nurse to take a pay cut (because that's what a 1% rise is) - just after they've spent the entire year looking after covid.

You're paying higher taxes anyway @Moriath - by 2026, significantly so.

With the billions being spunked criminally on Tory friends during covid maybe we should look at obscene wealth (have a look at this - wealth to scale) rather than nurses who on average get paid less than £25k for sources of covid reparations.
They all deserve pay rises and not just the nhs but the police and fire services. Yes we are paying more tax already. Would be even more if they handed out 12% pay rises to the services.

Gwadien

They all deserve pay rises and not just the nhs but the police and fire services. Yes we are paying more tax already. Would be even more if they handed out 12% pay rises to the services.

Could pay for it with all the corruption money, that's kind of the point.

The Government has clapped for the NHS, gave their mates massive contracts and then given nurses a real terms pay cut.

It isn't a issue about taxation and getting back into the austerity mentality, it's about right and wrong.

I agree @MYstIC G they should go on strike.

But they won't, because the unions won't want to, It's a poor political move as it'll be easy for the Government to further diminish the power of unions by painting them as the bad guys that go on strike during a pandemic.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Why are you so against paying higher taxes for the NHS (or fire police etc)....

Gwadien

Not sure if you're referring to me or Moriath, but I think we should be paying more taxes, but it would be good if we didn't have to pay more taxes to cover the cost of silly covid contracts.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

I can imagine that very few people would object to this, but most of our tax money seems to be wasted on frivolous shit like hs2 and £22bn track and trace programs that aren't used for anything

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I was replying to Moriath.

Re tax payers money you all know what to do in c.3 years time if you do not like how the current government are spending ....

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

Re tax payers money you all know what to do in c.3 years time if you do not like how the current government are spending ....

I never have and never would vote Tory, but unfortunately there is no credible opposition so it's irrelevant really.

Embattle

FH is my second home

I suspect in 3 years time we'll be able to be just as disappointed with what is on offer judging by current performances.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No, they deserve inflation at least (especially the NHS). But I'm not sure the po-po deserve a rise (they get paid well) and the fire service had their day - and also get paid well for what is actually a pretty safe job.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No, they deserve inflation at least (especially the NHS). But I'm not sure the po-po deserve a rise (they get paid well) and the fire service had their day - and also get paid well for what is actually a pretty safe job.
Going into peoples houses during a pandemic without vaccine is pretty risky this last year for both those professions. And the 1% is currently over the rate of inflation that is 0.7%. So its a 3.50 a week above inflation. if inflation goes up which it probably will this year then it will be lower. But currently its an inflation beating pay rise.

i think 3% would be a good number.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I had my Jab on Saturday morning (I was put in group 6). 12 hours after the jab I felt like crap as I had developed all the common side effect symptoms. Felt really sick for 2 days and I still have flu like symptoms that haven't shifted yet (cough, runny nose etc). I think it was the Oxford-AstraZeneca one I had. Hopefully the next jab won't be as bad!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Shouldn't be @Bigmac. Your immune response should be dialled in and quicker.

Interesting tho. Let us know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom