Politics Coronavirus

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
A plan with detail and timelines you say?

I know, it's almost as though they had thought about it.
BTW there are a lot more details than that. The Royal Decree is a massive document, that's just the bullet points.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well just pressed the free money button.

1800 a month they are giving me.
This cant go on, I dont even have to prove Im not working, which is fine anyway cos Im not.
Its taxable obviously, but I can live on that...well I HAVE lived on a lot less these past months.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Well just pressed the free money button.

1800 a month they are giving me.
This cant go on, I dont even have to prove Im not working, which is fine anyway cos Im not.
Its taxable obviously, but I can live on that...well I HAVE lived on a lot less these past months.
You get it back paid also right to april or whatever.

Job

Oh yes...pandamic payment to keep economy going is exactly the same as living on the dole.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh yes...pandamic payment to keep economy going is exactly the same as living on the dole.
Fraudulent claiming of money you'd never have made as you aren't working is definitely worse than claiming unemployment benefit.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Looking at the UK from the outside (am I allowed to do that? Just checking), there's only one villain of the piece, and its UKGov. You can't blame employers and workers for doing what they need to do if the Government creates massive and contradictory "advice"; let's be really clear here, everyone dumps social distancing if they have to (or if they want to), and its not just in the UK; do you think your local takeaway is social distancing? Working from home? Of course not. Do you think teenagers are social distancing? Are they fuck. But that's OK, its to be expected as you're never going to have 100% lockdown and the "flattening the curve" plan should account for that. The problem with the UK is a. their curve still isn't heading downwards (its "flat" if you want to be charitable) and b. the advice they're giving is either incompetent, or worse, wilfully designed to absolve themselves of future blame in the inevitable enquiries. "Its not our fault if the public didn't behave sensibly".

Now, you could argue that the public should be held responsible for its own actions, and "self-reliance" is built into the Tory DNA, but, the job of any government should be first and foremost to protect its people and UKGov has manifestly failed in that duty and continues to do so, not because its too hard, but because they actually only give a shit about their own power and the plebs will have forgotten all about the deaths by the next election, but they won't have forgotten about the jobless total.

On the other hand, people get the governments they deserve. You voted for these cunts, live (and die) with it.

The only part of the UK curve that is flat are new infections - which you would expect with increased testing picking up more mild cases that wouldn't otherwise have made hospital to be tested. Deaths, 111/999 calls and hospital admissions are all way down from the peak in early April, so it's fair to say this "wave" is coming near to the end.

However I'm not sure I'd say the villain of the piece was the UK Gov - I mean it's not like they potentially had an accident in a secure lab and covered it up for months (allegedly), silenced whistle blowers and neighbouring countries who tried to raise the alarm, isolated their first outbreak nationally but left International travel running, hoovered up all the world's PPE and sent out some crappy tests and useless facemasks in return?

As far as the UK Govt reponse has been, I don't think there's been anything seriously wrong with the overall plan - as after all, Norn Irn have been following it and have ended up with a slightly lower death rate than the Republic, with a looser lockdown. Our issues have all been operational - slow to ramp up testing (which the devolved nations still haven't managed), poor guidance on PPE and who can be admitted to nursing homes - and they are all the responsibility of one Government department. Yes folks, it's Public Health England again. The autonomous Govt department set up to look after the nation's health either cocks it up or goes missing when we really need it - in a Public Health Emergency. Pretty unforgiveable in my book when their Chief Exec is on £190k a year.

Care homes will be the scandal after this, and that comes from decades of neglect from many Governments of all tie colours. However the UK will not be alone. France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, the US - even Sweden - have all had serious issues protecting people in care homes. The Western World is finally going to have to grasp the nettle that is increased life expectancy and how to care for people that have reached ages never previously thought possible. With any luck that will be a grown up conversation of how to make things work better, rather than stringing someone up because you voted for the other guy. I'm not full of hope right now admittedly.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Already explained the roles of PHE and the devolved health regions in all of this but if you can't (won't) understand then...

The government has done "ok-ish" since the outbreak. But once again - it's the pre-planning and preparing for the inevitable where their culpability lies.

Criminal culpability. And you can point all you like at countries that got it wrong. I prefer to refer to countries that planned, prepared and got it right.

You keep pointing at the losers if it makes you feel better about your voting choices though m8.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Already explained the roles of PHE and the devolved health regions in all of this but if you can't (won't) understand then...

The government has done "ok-ish" since the outbreak. But once again - it's the pre-planning and preparing for the inevitable where their culpability lies.

Criminal culpability. And you can point all you like at countries that got it wrong. I prefer to refer to countries that planned, prepared and got it right.

You keep pointing at the losers if it makes you feel better about your voting choices though m8.

What a load of patronising emote ridden projection filled bollocks.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to point out countries which have handled this particularly well - and the reasons why they have done so and what we can learn for next time. In fact if you're considering such an absolute link between Government action and the eventual death toll, can I play for Belarus? No lockdown, carry on as normal, even go the footy, beat it with tractors and vodka - 135 deaths out of 10 million. Sounds like the way forwards?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Feel free to not steal money you don't need under false pretences, coming out of taxpayers pockets.
Its should be based on average monthly income over the last 12 months or the same months takings last year. Whats fraudulent about that?

unless you made up either of those figures as a sole trader or whatever the government have said you can claim for it.

I dont understand the fraud claim element? Anyone in the same boat can claim for it.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
The problem is most logical or sensible or long term outlooks need individuals to be willing to put aside the risk or percieved risk to their own and their familys health/life. No matter how many times you tell a person the economy is taking a beating they are not going to want to risk their families lifes. Let us pretend Boris is a bond villian and he was to say ok every person that is forced to work, if your family member dies then you have permission to go shoot the family member of someone that was at no risk due to the jobs they did. How eager would people be then for those unfortunate souls to be forced back to work? It is far too easy to expect someone to risk all for the greater good when there is little to no risk to yourself.

Job

Fraudulent claiming of money you'd never have made as you aren't working is definitely worse than claiming unemployment benefit.
You seem to be misunderstanding something.
Im not working because no one wants me in their house.

Im completely entitled to the money, so suck it and see.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

You've previously said you're to all intents and purposes retired.

We've had plumbers out twice and a heating engineer over to talk about what's best for the property. The plumbers actually said they were busier because more people using shit has meant more strain on central heating n' stuff.

Plenty of work out there for key workers like yourself, if you want it...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You've previously said you're to all intents and purposes retired.

We've had plumbers out twice and a heating engineer over to talk about what's best for the property. The plumbers actually said they were busier because more people using shit has meant more strain on central heating n' stuff.

Plenty of work out there for key workers like yourself, if you want it...

I've had to unblock our drains twice since lockdown. I'm not doing it again. Everyone now needs to leave the house and poop in the sea.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've had to unblock our drains twice since lockdown. I'm not doing it again. Everyone now needs to leave the house and poop in the sea.

Since we've got a Karcher jet wash we bought the drain cleaner attachment, used it once to clear a pipe that came after the U bend on a sink.

Job

So now we have a civic duty to avoid public transport?

Well fucking stop running it then.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

No you're not working because you chose to retire early.

Job

And in their infinite wisdom..they average out the last three years.

Job

Luke Johnson on Question time , if you take out people with morbidities, which is very unclear...maybe simply being overweight?
Only 350 people under 65 have died of covid.
The full figure is 4000.
For completely healthy people under 65 you have a greater risk of drowning.
I should imagine 90% of that risk is in the over 50s.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Looking at the UK from the outside (am I allowed to do that? Just checking), there's only one villain of the piece, and its UKGov. You can't blame employers and workers for doing what they need to do if the Government creates massive and contradictory "advice"; let's be really clear here, everyone dumps social distancing if they have to (or if they want to), and its not just in the UK; do you think your local takeaway is social distancing? Working from home? Of course not. Do you think teenagers are social distancing? Are they fuck. But that's OK, its to be expected as you're never going to have 100% lockdown and the "flattening the curve" plan should account for that. The problem with the UK is a. their curve still isn't heading downwards (its "flat" if you want to be charitable) and b. the advice they're giving is either incompetent, or worse, wilfully designed to absolve themselves of future blame in the inevitable enquiries. "Its not our fault if the public didn't behave sensibly".

Now, you could argue that the public should be held responsible for its own actions, and "self-reliance" is built into the Tory DNA, but, the job of any government should be first and foremost to protect its people and UKGov has manifestly failed in that duty and continues to do so, not because its too hard, but because they actually only give a shit about their own power and the plebs will have forgotten all about the deaths by the next election, but they won't have forgotten about the jobless total.

On the other hand, people get the governments they deserve. You voted for these cunts, live (and die) with it.
Agreed with the exception that only "some people" voted for them

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Luke Johnson on Question time , if you take out people with morbidities, which is very unclear...maybe simply being overweight?
Only 350 people under 65 have died of covid.
The full figure is 4000.
For completely healthy people under 65 you have a greater risk of drowning.
I should imagine 90% of that risk is in the over 50s.
Yeah that bloke was a dick last night. Totally commerce before life

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom