Politics Coronavirus

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Thetes a whatsspp message going round up here for one in birkenhead.
I think someones just photoshopping towns into it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Anti-lockdown protests are just about the stupidest thing I can think of doing in the middle of a pandemic.

What time will you be at your local one, @Job?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't get the lockdown protestors (other than they're misguided).

They say, amongst other things, that this is a fake virus designed to "keep us under control".

Two things come to mind:
1) For what? What are they trying to achieve over and above number 2...
2) We're already under control. Capitalism means wage slavery. We've gotta work, we've got to pay the rent, our taxes, or we end up on the streets. No choice.

Job

They are calling them Hard Left protests.

Which historically would be correct, but mostly the two camps have crossed over with the right defending freedoms and the left supporting censorship.

Job

Across the world, figures reveal the horrific pointlessness of the living dead in care homes.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Across the world, figures reveal the horrific pointlessness of the living dead in care homes.
If you think that hopefully you'll be suiciding before you get old and more infirm than you already are?

Job

What is going to happen over the next few years is people will turn on the science, watching high profile partholigists and respected institutions arguing a polarity apart on the reliability of the data will see a huge drop of confidence in pathogen and then climate science.

This will usher in a new age of scientific rejection and political upheaval.

Great days I suppose.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What is going to happen over the next few years is people will turn on the science, watching high profile partholigists and respected institutions arguing a polarity apart on the reliability of the data will see a huge drop of confidence in pathogen and then climate science.

This will usher in a new age of scientific rejection and political upheaval.

Great days I suppose.

Or it won't happen like that

Job

Thats my prediction..its all ready playing out to that end game as we speak.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Torygraph attacking scientists non shocker!

All of the scientists involved in sage and advice to the government have already come out - explicitly in defence of Ferguson and also to state that not one model informed the "science" - but over 50 (iirc) scientists advise sage, backed up by their teams (so *lots* of scientists) and the advice is a group effort.

Add to this a bit of context - all the other countries on the planet locked down on the advice of their scientists. So if Italy, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia, Germany and France were locking down on advice, it'd be weird if we weren't.

This is just another example of what a disgusting tory rag this paper is. They're attacking one identifiable man (as he's a poster child) under a false pretence (neither he nor his model represent the totality of scientific consensus) to undermine "science" and absolve the government of it's responsibility as the ultimate planner and decision maker.

Our government is responsible for it's failure to both plan in advance properly and take decisions in a timely fashion - resulting in the UK having the world's second worst death toll. Period.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's a criticism of him but also the Government for listening to him. It was his model which caused them to abandon herd immunity, he was criticised previously for his work on Foot and Mouth and BSE (his models back then led to the unnecessary slaughter of 100s of thousands of animals). How he was ever at the forefront of this is a travesty in itself.

It does look more and more like they're pushing him under the bus, the transgressions which led to him resigning supposedly took place weeks beforehand but his resignation coincidentally came out just as the UK's death toll took the European #1 spot. There has been noise since mid-April about scientists becoming uneasy with how much the Government says they're "following the science", they know they're being set up as scapegoats.

I'd be more sympathetic towards Ferguson but his work has been questioned before and code-reviews of his model have not been favourable.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's a criticism of him but also the Government for listening to him. It was his model which caused them to abandon herd immunity, he was criticised previously for his work on Foot and Mouth and BSE (his models back then led to the unnecessary slaughter of 100s of thousands of animals). How he was ever at the forefront of this is a travesty in itself
There's so much wrong with this I don't really know where to start tbh.

Maybe when I'm not on a phone. :)

Job

The problem isnt individual modelling..its how widely all the experts disagree.

The Swedish public health official used proven science for the lightest lockdown, we started doing the same and then suddenly went 'everyones going to die batshit'.
That 500K deaths from his modelling is still the official potential death toll.

Anyway..shit happens.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The problem isnt individual modelling..its how widely all the experts disagree.
Ok. I'll try one more time.

That's the *opposite* of a problem @Job.

That's the startpoint of "building a consensus based on the current state of knowledge". You get all these experts and ask them to sit down and decide on what they A) can agree upon and B) are unsure about - so direct their research to get a better understanding.

They then give their best opinion, which will change over time as more information is gathered.

This is the best system we have to guide decision making. Anything else we have is no better than guesswork. But this is demonstrably a billion times better.

Job

Im referring to the publics trust.
If all the weather forecasts ranged from snow to heatwave for one day, you might conclude an average is most likely.

In reality it means guessing is just as valid.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
In reality it means guessing is just as valid.
I'm going to ignore most of your post for the obvious circular argument reasons.

However the above: Define what you mean by "valid".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom