Politics Coronavirus

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
None of our Tories going to say anything about the glaringly obvious spinning and rigging that took place to get to 100k "tests" in a day (wink wink), magically on the deadline for when they set the target? They haven't built a solid base of testing, they spunked everything into hitting a target on one day to save Hancock from getting a bit of egg on his face and the numbers have gone to shit since. Even with maximum spin they're not coming close...

bd7bce44-b065-4f13-8224-5a1005106593.png

Now Johnson is talking about 200k a day by the end of May but surprise surprise, he's talking about testing capacity, not actual tests. Capacity means bollock-all if you're not getting out there and actually doing the tests to get close to capacity.

As for your question earlier @Deebs, it's shit like this. And the fact that no other country that I can think of has a leader who boasted about shaking hands with COVID-19 sufferers on the day that SAGE said "stop shaking hands". How many other governments do we know of that have had so many ministers/advisers/scientists test positive or have the symptoms? Johnson, Hancock, Cummings, Whitty, Ferguson, Gove (although I think he was self-isolating because someone in his family had it)...

Last edited:

Embattle

FH is my second home
Certainly ironic you talk about Matt Hancock doing everything to avoid getting a bit of egg on his face then continue to pound the government on the same target.

To me they should have targets but I don't like them making such a song and dance about it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Certainly ironic you talk about Matt Hancock doing everything to avoid getting a bit of egg on his face then continue to pound the government on the same target.

To me they should have targets but I don't like them making such a song and dance about it.
Targets are great. Putting all of their energy into hitting those targets to the detriment of the actual testing effort is less great.

If you can see that you're not going to hit a target, you either put your hands up and say "look chaps, I'm sorry, we're not going to make it but we're fucking trying, ok?" or you do what the Tories did and scurry around, changing rules and sending out a shitload of testing kits just so they can be added to the count for a specific day to make it look like they achieved their target.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My mum has dementia, brain damage, is pre-diabetic and wayyyy overweight.

If she gets a sniff of coronavirus she won't make it. Period.

Because of the way she now is, rational conversation cannot influence her action, never mind overrule a nicotine addiction.

So yes, bollocking, including a raised voice and choice swearwords she *really* doesn't like.

She now waits for her fags like a good little spastic.

There ain't no other way to manage the situation, unfortunately. I make it up to her by talking her on nightly zoom walks.

We collectively (4 siblings) told my Dad off on a zoom chat for not being great with the social distancing and shopping too much.

3 days later he had a stroke.

Thankfully he's recovering very well and almost back to his usual self.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That sucks @Jupitus - but don't blame yourselves. If he was due a stroke then it was going to happen. And if he'd contracted covid then, with the underlying condition of potential stroke, could have been very serious.

I think you clearly collectively did the right thing.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Old employee now friend from my time managing an SSC NL lost both mum and brother in the space of the last two weeks :/

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Link to statement about arm length. And NHS's fault why?

I was under the impression that these were procured by the government? They certainly made a big deal about sending the RAF on a special mission to pick them up.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I was under the impression that these were procured by the government? They certainly made a big deal about sending the RAF on a special mission to pick them up.
Who was actually responsible for the purchase is beside the point. If they were good the government will take the credit. If they were bad the NHS will take the blame. Simples :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Hmmm you showed the graphs that are the only way we can grasp the situation to disprove my point that the graphs are the only way we can grasp the situation.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hmmm you showed the graphs that are the only way we can grasp the situation to disprove my point that the graphs are the only way we can grasp the situation.
I wasn't trying to disprove. Just querying why does that equal invisible?

Job

Job

I wasn't trying to disprove. Just querying why does that equal invisible?
Because the death toll isnt hugely greater than the flu and if there werent charts, no one would notice in the general public without the stats.

Job

It was more of a media story anyway.

It was only a few hours worth of protection.
Bit of a non event, but good to have a laugh at.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It was more of a media story anyway.

It was only a few hours worth of protection.
Bit of a non event, but good to have a laugh at.
As Ms Burley pointed out, it was the government who made a big hoohaa about the shipment in the first place.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The earlier article even said that the DHSC advised the government not to say anything (presumably in case of this exact outcome or the exact outcome where it was delayed x times) and they went ahead and did it anyway.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My family in indiana and its removal of lock down. By the 24th may you can have gatherings of 100ppl and it increases from there.

i cant see how this is a good thing.

4DD9C051-EBE7-4E9D-ACD5-5B861CF54742.png

Job

The media just dont want to praise...pointlessly obviously....the US for their very low death rate so far.

More interested in ramming home our total deaths and calling us the sick man of Europe.

Where as this is our actual death rate vs population...doesnt make clickbait headlines though.

Screenshot_2020-05-07-12-48-44-1.png

Yoni

The earlier article even said that the DHSC advised the government not to say anything (presumably in case of this exact outcome or the exact outcome where it was delayed x times) and they went ahead and did it anyway.
Probably because they were being put under huge amounts of pressure on this topic by the good old British press.... They shouldn’t have risen to the occasion by bragging

For me one of the biggest mistakes this government is making throughout the crisis is over-promising and under delivering or failing to deliver.

In my country of residence there have been big challenges in testing and PPE and when pushed the PHA answer when they have the capacity and when the goods have arrived and been checked. No numbers no peacocking just straight answers - and when a shitload of CE equipment arrived that was not fit for use it was reported no hoohar.

Yoni

The media just dont want to praise...pointlessly obviously....the US for their very low death rate so far.

More interested in ramming home our total deaths and calling us the sick man of Europe.

Where as this is our actual death rate vs population...doesnt make clickbait headlines though.

View attachment 41544
Sorry Job too many reasons to list as to why you can not use that compare- please stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom