Politics Coronavirus

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Definitely thin end of the wedge.

That's exactly what you want to hear about an app that relies on as many people as possible using it to be effective.

My principles. NHSX/NCSC fucked up by going the centralised way. They can fuckoff.

Other European countries have gone centralised and other distributed. You can bet the distributed ones using the proper IOS/Android APIs will work much better.

Also, @caLLous he who is on his mighty horse, what about the people without smart phones? What is your response to those ?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I keep seeing reports on airlines wanting to start flying but keeping the middle seats empty to help with social distancing. Um, last time I checked most planes are pressurised cylinders with recycled air. How the fuck does keeping the middle seats empty stop/slow the spread of the virus in what is effectively a sealed flying petri dish?
Remember...

Perception > Reality

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
My principles. NHSX/NCSC fucked up by going the centralised way. They can fuckoff.

Other European countries have gone centralised and other distributed. You can bet the distributed ones using the proper IOS/Android APIs will work much better.

Also, @caLLous he who is on his mighty horse, what about the people without smart phones? What is your response to those ?
The decentralised ones will definitely work better, it's beyond infuriating that the UK always seems to think it can do better and rarely ever actually does.

As for those without smartphones... all the more reason for those *with* smartphones to use the app. :)

Although not the UK app because it's buggy as fuck and demonstrably doesn't work properly on Apple devices (and developed with the "help" of GCHQ so they can doubly fuck off).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The decentralised ones will definitely work better, it's beyond infuriating that the UK always seems to think it can do better and rarely ever actually does.

As for those without smartphones... all the more reason for those *with* smartphones to use the app. :)
But you need around 80% to download and use the app, Whatsapp has only been downloaded by 67% of the population over how many years.

It is not just the UK which has gone for a centralised database. Other countries in Europe and around the world are doing their own thing instead of using the APIs implemented for this exact contact tracing.

Seriously stop thinking it is just the UK, there are others making the exact same mistake.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person

Although not the UK app because it's buggy as fuck and demonstrably doesn't work properly on Apple devices (and developed with the "help" of GCHQ so they can doubly fuck off).

I'm guessing the hackers are licking their lips.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Its good news.
Only 300 people dead under 45.
Why would you facepalm that?

Do I have to exaggerate it or something to make people happy.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I keep seeing reports on airlines wanting to start flying but keeping the middle seats empty to help with social distancing. Um, last time I checked most planes are pressurised cylinders with recycled air. How the fuck does keeping the middle seats empty stop/slow the spread of the virus in what is effectively a sealed flying petri dish?

I've been somewhat amused at the kicking government/people get for even mentioning that taking a holiday might be a bad idea, I mean seriously there are very few models of transport where the aim isn't to pack in as many people as possible in the smallest amount of space.

Embattle

FH is my second home
But you need around 80% to download and use the app, Whatsapp has only been downloaded by 67% of the population over how many years.

It is not just the UK which has gone for a centralised database. Other countries in Europe and around the world are doing their own thing instead of using the APIs implemented for this exact contact tracing.

Seriously stop thinking it is just the UK, there are others making the exact same mistake.

I'm not sure a app for sending various pictures/videos/chat to others is really classed in the same category as a app that might help save lives.

Personally I've used a number of government apps, right now both the NHS and HMRC apps are on my phone.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
@Deebs
I have looked and found various descriptions but this one ironically seems the most detailed and non biased. Also it is worth noting that one of the points used to add context is the fact they didnt cheer because they stopped Nurses getting a rise, just at the fact they won. This here sums up all of my points and arguments, the actual reasons and people are lost and the political parties seem to care more about one up manship on each other.
All MPs who voted against a full pay rise for nurses in 2017 - and why they did

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm with you on the contact tracing app but
Seriously stop pointing at other's "mistakes" (yeah, right) and giving the UK a break for it.

Wrong is wrong. We're supposed to be at the forefront of world leading lights. Mistakes like this delegitimise that view - and makes Uganda's view as important as ours, for example.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm with you on the contact tracing app but
Seriously stop pointing at other's "mistakes" (yeah, right) and giving the UK a break for it.

Wrong is wrong. We're supposed to be at the forefront of world leading lights. Mistakes like this delegitimise that view - and makes Uganda's view as important as ours, for example.
I am not giving the UK a break, I am saying that there are other countries making the same fucking mistakes as the UK. We are not the only country making a mistake in this pandemic.

Do me a favour, vent your anger at Sturgeon for a while. Remember healthcare is devolved in the UK.

View: https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1258001105063235585

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm not sure a app for sending various pictures/videos/chat to others is really classed in the same category as a app that might help save lives.

Personally I've used a number of government apps, right now both the NHS and HMRC apps are on my phone.
I used it in this context to show how even a popular app is hard to get installed on peoples phone let alone a fucking mess of an app coming out from NHSX.

That is your choice to make if you want those apps installed on your phone. I don't give a shit which party is in power any form of centralised monitoring of movement/contact tracing can fuck right off. Period.

Anyway, I might put it on my work phone pop to the office, leave it near one of the entry turnstiles for a day or two. Pick it up and then report I have symptons. (Not that I would but can you already see the issue?)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Do me a favour, vent your anger at Sturgeon for a while. Remember healthcare is devolved in the UK.

Yep, a small detail everyone seems to forget. Which is interesting when you look at some of the figures from the devolved administrations, for instance look at Norn Irn - same strategy as the rest of the UK, same advice, same lockdown - 404 Deaths up to this point.

Almost as if there is something else at work here. Like, I dunno, maybe population density? Size of urban area? Demographic make up?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I am not giving the UK a break, I am saying that there are other countries making the same fucking mistakes as the UK. We are not the only country making a mistake in this pandemic.
Which seems like an excuse...?

We're supposed to be better than that - our global image is supposedly of a world leader.

We're just bumbling idiots like everyone else - yet our culture revolves in part around a belief in our exceptionalism.

Exceptional? Anything but...

*btw, not angry. Just weary.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I've been somewhat amused at the kicking government/people get for even mentioning that taking a holiday might be a bad idea, I mean seriously there are very few models of transport where the aim isn't to pack in as many people as possible in the smallest amount of space.
As per logan air yesterday. Even if you empty the middle seats the air in a plane is recycled and distributed many times during the flight. So any social distancing on a plane is just for looks and has no actual effect at reducing virus spread on a plane.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Which seems like an excuse...?

We're supposed to be better than that - our global image is supposedly of a world leader.

We're just bumbling idiots like everyone else - yet our culture revolves in part around a belief in our exceptionalism.

Exceptional? Anything but...

*btw, not angry. Just weary.
So speak out about the other DEVOLVED healthcare fuckups in the UK (a union of 4 countries). Boris is not to blame for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Every single fucking one is using their own scientific and medical advisors, sorting their own PPE supply and logistics, creating their own exit strategies.

What it shows is a lack of every fucking party from working as a coherent single entity. What is also shows is how fucking wasteful having the procurement wankers working in the different NHS entities. I for one want to see the entire lot thrown on the dump and allow others to reform that part across the board, use the knowledge of the supermarkets and the Army.

Blame the rich fucking care home owners for not having their own PPE instead they lined their fat pockets with all that profit.

This is not going to be the last pandemic/epidemic. We need to understand all the bad and good things. Bring PPE manufacturing back to the UK or at least a minimum percentage etc.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yep, a small detail everyone seems to forget. Which is interesting when you look at some of the figures from the devolved administrations, for instance look at Norn Irn - same strategy as the rest of the UK, same advice, same lockdown - 404 Deaths up to this point.

Almost as if there is something else at work here. Like, I dunno, maybe population density? Size of urban area? Demographic make up?
Population density definitely has more of an impact

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Youre just playing blame bingo.
Every country got caught out by worrying what to do.

A low initial death count is no proof of ' success'.
Lets count the deaths vs the economic destructIon at the end of the year.
In other good news I'm eligible for the self employed grant.
So.....keep paying your taxes.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

For me I think it is too early. There is going to be a second wave. Relaxing the lockdown can give the wrong indications that we are past the worst of it.

If anything the lockdown has to be tightly controlled in a logical and safe way. I can say that the Company I work for is working extremely hard on getting people back to work in a safe and controlled way.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Youre just playing blame bingo.
Every country got caught out by worrying what to do.

A low initial death count is no proof of ' success'.
Lets count the deaths vs the economic destructIon at the end of the year.
In other good news I'm eligible for the self employed grant.
So.....keep paying your taxes.
Good I have some central heating work I need done at mates rates.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I heard that my 82 year old mum on the Isle of man went out in the Car and visited my sister today even if it was outside.... I was a little horrified tbh she of all people should not be out doing anything .... although she has been a smoker since she was 16 so lets hope that theory is valid...oO

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I heard that my 82 year old mum on the Isle of man went out in the Car and visited my sister today even if it was outside.... I was a little horrified tbh she of all people should not be out doing anything .... although she has been a smoker since she was 16 so lets hope that theory is valid...oO
My mum meets up with a friend and they go for their exercise walk together. Some things you cant control.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
My mum meets up with a friend and they go for their exercise walk together. Some things you cant control.
Hopefully you give her a lot of shit for that.

Family needs to try to hold their own family to account. Nobody else can.

My mum got a fucking roasting for going to the shops to buy fags when my niece has been delivering to her...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Surely it also depends on if she kept her distance and didn't cough all over your sister etc. If she kept a good 2 metres apart then I don't see a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom