Politics Coronavirus

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What would be good is if unhealthy food was taxed and that revenue used to subsidise healthy food.

And proper food and cooking education at school, parents don't teach their kids to cook any more.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This isn't just about poor people - obesity is cross-demographic.

There's good evidence that making junk food more expensive will have the desired outcomes:

And frankly, there are costs associated with poor health that the most vulnerable can't afford.

In the absence of banning these foods (freedom of choice!!!) the next lever is clearly financial.

Frankly - we shouldn't be eating that shit. We've had years of public health campaigns and yet 70% of our population is unhealthily fat.

Tough titties if it's nanny-statism - if the british public took personal responsibility for their own health and stopped cramming shit into their puffy, bloated maws (and that's not an 'emotive' description of Brits, but a scientifically verified one) then there wouldn't be a need for government to pull these moves anyway.
Alcohol isn't food. Can you Google a bit harder this time for your usual echo chamber link?

I'm sure anyone using a food bank, will totally agree with your desires to increase the cost of everything.
What would be good is if unhealthy food was taxed and that revenue used to subsidise healthy food.
Agreed. Except, unfortunately, that isn't what would happen. The funds would never make it back to that cause.
And proper food and cooking education at school, parents don't teach their kids to cook any more.
There should be a big push to teach more life skills like this, that would be more likely to break the back of all of this.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Alcohol isn't food. Can you Google a bit harder this time for your usual echo chamber link?
I was demonstrating that there's good evidence that financial measures drive behaviour.

Also junk "food" isn't food. It's junk.

I'm sure anyone using a food bank, will totally agree with your desires to increase the cost of everything.
1) I'm not for increasing the cost of "everything" - I'm for increasing the cost of shit.
2) It's not all about the poor - as clearly stated: it's a cross section of society
3) You've ignored the high cost of poor health point - which hits the poorest hardest

and 4):

Agreed. Except, unfortunately, that isn't what would happen. The funds would never make it back to that cause.
I agree with @Raven's statement (and I have previously stated the same, multiple times). Increased tax take should go on subsidy for healthy foods.

The fact that you believe it'll never make it doesn't make the proposal a bad one.

There should be a big push to teach more life skills like this, that would be more likely to break the back of all of this.
Absolutely. The Tories killed off home economics in the 80's. But I don't think this is the only thing - it should be a combination of things - including making bad shit more expensive.

Edit:
If personal responsibility worked Meg then we wouldn't be having this conversation - but it clearly doesn't. It's an abject failure. And the outright resistance to framing this as a "freedom+responsibility" issue - even on this very forum - shows that it's not a goer.

If people won't sort themselves out then there are only a few levers left you can pull to fix the situation. Nobody wants to ban food types. It won't float and the public won't accept it. So whilst you await your "utopian" Home Economics classes - which have already been done away with and would take a generation to show any results (which would be mixed at best) - that leaves money or public education messaging.

Public education messaging doesn't work.

Money does.

Last edited:

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I was demonstrating that there's good evidence that financial measures drive behaviour.

Also junk "food" isn't food. It's junk.

1) I'm not for increasing the cost of "everything" - I'm for increasing the cost of shit.
2) It's not all about the poor - as clearly stated: it's a cross section of society
3) You've ignored the high cost of poor health point - which hits the poorest hardest

and 4):

I agree with @Raven's statement (and I have previously stated the same, multiple times). Increased tax take should go on subsidy for healthy foods.

The fact that you believe it'll never make it doesn't make the proposal a bad one.

Absolutely. The Tories killed off home economics in the 80's. But I don't think this is the only thing - it should be a combination of things - including making bad shit more expensive.

Edit:
If personal responsibility worked Meg then we wouldn't be having this conversation - but it clearly doesn't. It's an abject failure. And the outright resistance to framing this as a "freedom+responsibility" issue - even on this very forum - shows that it's not a goer.

If people won't sort themselves out then there are only a few levers left you can pull to fix the situation. Nobody wants to ban food types. It won't float and the public won't accept it. So whilst you await your "utopian" Home Economics classes - which have already been done away with and would take a generation to show any results (which would be mixed at best) - that leaves money or public education messaging.

Public education messaging doesn't work.

Money does.
Problem is that people are not going to, as you can see from these forums, be remotely interested in your sanctimonious way of expressing your point of view - not just this thread either. Empathy is super important - it is a shame you have not learned this life lesson yet and you probably never ever will...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Problem is that people are not going to, as you can see from these forums, be remotely interested in your sanctimonious way of expressing your point of view - not just this thread either. Empathy is super important - it is a shame you have not learned this life lesson yet and you probably never ever will...
I don't have sympathy for some on this forum because they clearly spend their lives dodging all personal responsibility.

Get along fine in real life Yons, but I don't hang about on FH to dodge the issues - say it like it really is (or at least how I see it), and if people don't like it then tough titties...

Last edited:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I just had a large Big Mac meal with a proper Coke. It was yum.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The real kicker about that double sausage and egg mcmuffin is it was a surprise so I had already had a bowl of shreddies 🤤

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I actually went through the process a couple of years ago of working out how to make my own sausage and egg muffins and they were awesome :cool:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yep @caLLous.

It's that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence - so even before the studies were done it would have been prudsnt to follow the precautionary principle.

Unfortunately, we've got a government hell-bent on removing the precautionary principle even when we've already got very good evidence that what we're doing is hugely harmful - like our large monocultural farming practices that are clearly going to worsen as we brexit...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It just beggars belief that either we've done no experimentation on this in a hundred years..or we have extensive data and studies and the powers that be pick and choose the advice politically.

I'm going for the second.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Quite ridiculous...for anyone under 50 the potential for health problems far exceeds that of catching covid.
This doesn't make any sense as a sentence?

If you stick your be-condomed dick through a glory hole to minimise human contact that has bigger health problems for the under 50's than catching covid?

Words, @Job. Words.

Yoni

In Sweden today they have announced that they believe that part of the population is immune regardless of whether they have had the virus or not. The work is just begining to start on this but still it is an interesting development. From the chief epidemiologist>

- It is clear to me that it is much more difficult to measure population immunity for covid-19 than diseases such as measles, rubella and other things. Here it is not predictable, it spreads very unevenly. In addition, there are more and more signals that a fairly large proportion are immune without having antibodies. We do not know how large that proportion is, but there has been talk of anything from 20-30 percent to upwards of 100 percent more, says Tegnell.

– Det är för mig helt klart att det är betydligt svårare att mäta befolkningsimmunitet för covid-19 än sjukdomar som mässling, röda hund och annat. Här är det inte förutsägbart, det sprids väldigt ojämnt. Dessutom finns ju mer och mer signaler om att en ganska stor andel är immuna utan att ha antikroppar. Hur stor den andelen är vet vi inte, men det har pratats om allt från 20-30 procent till uppåt 100 procent fler, säger Tegnell. Source DN.se

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Looks like Northampton will be in lockdown soon, hopefully the villages aren't affected. Pub opens on the 1st!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Have to wonder what will happen to the people who have no immune system response, or who are totally asymptomatic, to Covid-19. They'll keep on spreading it for the rest of their lives, like a modern version of Typhoid Mary. They locked up Mary for decades.... will we do the same?

Yoni

Have to wonder what will happen to the people who have no immune system response, or who are totally asymptomatic, to Covid-19. They'll keep on spreading it for the rest of their lives, like a modern version of Typhoid Mary. They locked up Mary for decades.... will we do the same?
I very much hope humans have evolved - if Sweden is correct you are talking about 20+% of the population- have fun locking that quantity of the population away ....

Job

Walked in to our local Tesco Express...only me and one other guy wearing a mask, but his was the valve type which are useless.

Job

Im not sure really on the legal status of a mask ...its an epic level of lashed together bolaks if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom