"Compatible" Ink Cartridges

nath

Fledgling Freddie
So what's the dealio on these things. I've always avoided them thinking they'd be crap quality and screw up my printer. However, I was just about to order a colour and a black cartridge for my Epson Stylus Colour 880 (so pretty crappy and old) and it's 35 quid. However, there's a compatible bunch that costs 2 quid each. Strikes me that if they do eventually screw up my printer I only need to go through about 4 and I've saved enough money to buy a nice new one.

So what's the skinny on these things - anyone used them before and if so, what are they like?

TIA :m00:

Yaka

Part of the furniture
for printing text and stuff they aint bad but for photo printing stick to branded carts. some times they bleed horribly on photo paper

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Own an Epson Stylus Photo RX500. Printer uses 6 inks at around £12 each. So since new i've used nowt but compatibles. Never had a problem, Never had 1 bleed. Quality is superb, Would never buy an epson original.

My advice to you would be shell out the few quid it costs for the compats and try em. Gotta be cheaper then a new set and if ya don't like em use em on text.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm, thing is the colour 880 isn't a photo printer - 720dpi max. I think I'll give them a go, I'm not doing anything special - printing off some jpgs but nothing glossy.

Cheers for the responses.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I have an 880.
I bought 3 of each cart from the local computer fair for £12.
The colours were totally crap but the monos are fine and overall I saved money.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi nath

Not adding anything new but I've often heard, as said above, that third-party replacements can be iffy when it comes to photo printing. As this isn't the case here, though, in general usage you could well get away with it. Note, however, they if things do go awry most manufacturers won't be too willing to help (I believe using non-standard ink cartridges may void some printer warranties, although don't quote me on that).

The price of official cartridges is exorbitant, though, with claims even being made the microchip embedded in some cartridges reports them as empty before their time and even prevents their use in some instances (this remains to be seen, however). I believe the EU is currently investigating, but I wouldn't hold my breath :(

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom