Camelot Unchained

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Hmm, didn't even notice MJ popping in. Talk about lag at work when you start writing a post and it appears two pages later :p

If he decides to pop back in, here's a player to dev question;

I'm the kind of player who likes character customization(detailed), fluff stuff like fireworks, tools to RP with other players, furnishing houses to accurate detail(SW:G) and overall prefer to live in a world instead of playing in a world. That being said; what kind of goodies and such can you provide to a player who doesn't necessarily conform to the core of the game? Essentially can you enjoy the game without playing the game?

On another note; the released info on the design seems, at places, very open. Bit wishywashy(no offense meant) if you will. Is this due to some issues still being very open, open for feedback before locking it down, or is the game just in such baby shoes that one can't make a proper design for it?
1. Let's see what you think this weekend if/when we get our building update out. I think that will answer some of your questions. Also, have you had a chance to watch my video on The Depths? If not, I think it will answer some additional questions.

2. Some of it is because we haven't considered everything yet (since the project is just beginning), other parts because we are still debating it here, other bits because we want to reveal it over the next 2 weeks and other bits because we do want to discuss it with out backers.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
I probably speak for most on here mark when I say thanks for dropping in and being open and honest with your answers. Lets hope that CU can fill that dark age hole that so many other mmos have failed to do. It's looking promising to me that it's at least being approached in the right way.

Good luck :)

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Regarding EU-Servers: I think there are more options available for a game company who need over seas help to host servers now days? CSE won't need a partner like GOA, They will just let some company like Amazon host them like Minecraft does.

I'm prepared to wait for patches ect for a couple of hours extra...but not months :)
That's the current plan. :)

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
I probably speak for most on here mark when I say thanks for dropping in and being open and honest with your answers. Lets hope that CU can fill that dark age hole that so many other mmos have failed to do. It's looking promising to me that it's at least being approached in the right way.

Good luck :)
Thanks! It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Time to get back to KS business. I'll drop back in later.

Thanks for the warm welcome all and to Raven for casting the spell of "Summon Developer Level 1" and Kevin for helping point me in this direction.

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Mark Jacobs: Back @ Mythic who came up with the Warlock class? :p Was there not a discussion that the class would be heavy overpowerd :p

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Thanks! It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Time to get back to KS business. I'll drop back in later.

Thanks for the warm welcome all and to Raven for casting the spell of "Summon Developer Level 1" and Kevin for helping point me in this direction.

Hi Mark. Thanks for taking time to drop in.

I want to reiterate a previous question that I think may have been missed. Apologies if I am wrong and have Missed an answer myself.

A common issue I see being discussed in various places is the problem with "numbers means victory" that more recent pvp games have.

In daoc one could operate in rvr in a solo capacity, as part of a small group, as part of an organised "gank" group, or indeed as a member of a "Zerg"

GW2 for example, is almost the complete opposite. The Zerg is actually encouraged by the game mehanics and smaller forces have almost zero chance against larger forces, necessitating and further promoting the formation of blobs.

Many of us pvpers want a game where smaller, organised groups are at least a credible threat to zergs, and not just some minor inconvenience to roll over on the way to the next objective.

Back in daoc, death spam from organised groups got even large forces wary, a Zerg organiser in the frontiers knew that when "guild group x" was in the area they better keep a tight handle on there zerg or suffer the consiquences.

I guess what I am saying is that whilst big zergs battles are great if the engine can handle them, it shouldn't be the only viable way to play in rvr. An organised group should at least have a chance vs larger numbers.

Have you considered this at all?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Hi Mark. Thanks for taking time to drop in.

I want to reiterate a previous question that I think may have been missed. Apologies if I am wrong and have Missed an answer myself.

A common issue I see being discussed in various places is the problem with "numbers means victory" that more recent pvp games have.

In daoc one could operate in rvr in a solo capacity, as part of a small group, as part of an organised "gank" group, or indeed as a member of a "Zerg"

GW2 for example, is almost the complete opposite. The Zerg is actually encouraged by the game mehanics and smaller forces have almost zero chance against larger forces, necessitating and further promoting the formation of blobs.

Many of us pvpers want a game where smaller, organised groups are at least a credible threat to zergs, and not just some minor inconvenience to roll over on the way to the next objective.

Back in daoc, death spam from organised groups got even large forces wary, a Zerg organiser in the frontiers knew that when "guild group x" was in the area they better keep a tight handle on there zerg or suffer the consiquences.

I guess what I am saying is that whilst big zergs battles are great if the engine can handle them, it shouldn't be the only viable way to play in rvr. An organised group should at least have a chance vs larger numbers.

Have you considered this at all?
= Will there be mass-scale CC?

I think the answer is yes?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
For the doubtful: please be aware that Mark Jacobs has taken the time to speak to me and I'm happy to accept he is who he says he is.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Do you know anybody who doesn't make any mistakes in his or her life? Especially when trying to make an MMORPG, working for a company such as EA, etc?

Sure, EA is probably a nightmarish company to work for in the position you had, but even i can't blame them for the entirety of WHO's clusterf**k launch and subsequent year and a half:ish.

Your fault/mistake or not when it comes to that game is irrelevant, the simple truth is that your name invokes some of the worst gaming memories i've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

And because you are someone i can directly link those memories with.........

It gets problematic....

TdC

are you saying I'm fat, Gwad? Sir, you wound me :(

Gwadien

are you saying I'm fat, Gwad? Sir, you wound me :(
No!

I'm saying you're the most unpredictable hero in the world, you cause death without realizing, also, you're cuddly.

Actually thinking about it, that's worse than calling you fat.

TdC

teh pokédex said:
Snorlax spend the majority of their time sleeping, surviving on their stored fat. Many Snorlax only awaken once a month, spending their waking time finding more food. A hungry Snorlax is not satisfied until it consumes 900 pounds of food, and then it goes back to sleep. If one ever sees a sleeping Snorlax, he or she should not wake it up, because these Pokémon become very grumpy if their peaceful dreams become interrupted.

hmm...does sound like me though :(

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
IMG_3082.JPG

TdC at home, its true! :O

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
For the doubtful: please be aware that Mark Jacobs has taken the time to speak to me and I'm happy to accept he is who he says he is.
I'm not until he says we can be the official forum.

Kyrana

Regular Freddie
You have a duck in your avatar, clearly MJ ;)

Check above for questions, raven asked some good ones too.

Would MJ run around with a girl duck avatar? I am really just a backer. I may have mentioned in a email to MJ that you guys were cool though. ;)

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Sure, EA is probably a nightmarish company to work for in the position you had, but even i can't blame them for the entirety of WHO's clusterf**k launch and subsequent year and a half:ish.

Your fault/mistake or not when it comes to that game is irrelevant, the simple truth is that your name invokes some of the worst gaming memories i've ever had the misfortune of experiencing.

And because you are someone i can directly link those memories with.........

It gets problematic....
I get that. The only two things I'll say are this:

1) My last week at EA was May 2009. So, anything that happened after that, well...
2) WAR was not ready for launch and I believed that it needed more time. Unfortunately, nobody else agreed with me on my team. I made my point to EA as well about launching against WoW and what I expected would happen. Unfortunately, the combination of the two was disastrous for WAR. Now, I was the GM and there were other problems with the game that I take full responsibility for but, even JR said in an earnings call (which is why I can say this) that how that quarter was handled (too many products, not enough support) was a mistake and I respect him for that. I still believe that if WAR had 1 more year it would have been a lot more successful but WAR was only in development for 3 and that was not enough.

Not an excuse, plea, etc. I made my own mistakes (crafting is a big one) but certain things, well, when you work for a company, any company, you rarely are in total control.

Gwadien

I heard when MJ came on here, the first thing he said was 'Where the fuck has OT gone?'

Just saying.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I heard when MJ came on here, the first thing he said was 'Where the fuck has OT gone?'

Just saying.

Nah, he seen your face Gwad and didn't know if he should answer your questions or kill you with an aerosol can and a lighter :(

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
I get that. The only two things I'll say are this:

1) My last week at EA was May 2009. So, anything that happened after that, well...
2) WAR was not ready for launch and I believed that it needed more time. Unfortunately, nobody else agreed with me on my team. I made my point to EA as well about launching against WoW and what I expected would happen. Unfortunately, the combination of the two was disastrous for WAR. Now, I was the GM and there were other problems with the game that I take full responsibility for but, even JR said in an earnings call (which is why I can say this) that how that quarter was handled (too many products, not enough support) was a mistake and I respect him for that. I still believe that if WAR had 1 more year it would have been a lot more successful but WAR was only in development for 3 and that was not enough.

Not an excuse, plea, etc. I made my own mistakes (crafting is a big one) but certain things, well, when you work for a company, any company, you rarely are in total control.

MJ: There was a story from 1 member of your team that you were starting on Camelot new dawn just before Warhammer and ea canned the project is this true?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I can't complain about WAR, I could moan about it not being finished, aoe being screwed and various other issues. However non of those things can take away from the fact the RVR was very very competitive and enjoyable.

MJ may or may not be responsible for any of the above problems, but he also played a part in all the good stuff.

I've got my fingers crossed.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
No point in getting scared until you see if theres a pbaoe class that has broken ra's :p

i'm not talking about a pbaoe class that has broken ra's .. well, on second thought, maybe that too .. I'm talking about a raving madman that would take his group from Breifine after killing me at Dun na nGed, to the Pennine Mountains, when a night shade told him that i had been spotted there, just to hunt me down like a XXX again and kill me again and again. If only you knew about all the things he subjected my corpse to over and over again. Whaaaaa, /em runs of and starts :cry:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom