Camelot Unchained

Cazedy

One of Freddy's beloved
Hey Mark!

Nice to see you on FH:D

As for my question, it's about what kind of reward system you have planned for the people who do like keep taking etc but are more focused on fighting the other realms as solo, duo, smaller group and full group vs group? I know you've said that you want a horizontal progression which is cool, but trying to poke if we might see something as cool as the Realm Ranks you had in daoc? Even if you completely remove the rewards(as RA's etc).

A hard to reach(something like pre NF RRs) ranking system based on kills would be so nice to see for people who will spend loads of time doing what they love and get something to show for it.

Just quoted two other people who expressed some of what i feel as well.

I liked the visual repesentation of what realm ranks did with DAOC.. with the titles. When you fought people, you would notice their rank and that meant alot (rank means nothing these days). Also it was an indication of how much time you put into a charater in RVR.

In GW2 i solo'd alot on my thief in the early days, and even after shit loads of kills I had nothing to show for it, nothing to indicate that I had killed alot of people etc. It felt like a FPS where everyone is equal. I dont care for the added stats or RAS, but atleast let people see an indication of how experienced you have played that char with some system.

Agree with this, the titles were more important than the actual RAs imo, it was a semi-measure of recognition and e-peen. RAs (imo at least) were not too far away from items in wow, where time = power. From the blog it sounds like he is just wanting to implement the /title menu from daoc that just tracks your total kills/towers etc.

I would prefer something that's not just cumulative over the lifetime of the character though, like Faction Points in UO (1 kill gives +1 point, while a death -1 point, and a title depending on your number of points) or Arena rating in WoW.

That was one of the reasons I was bored with sPvP in GW2 as well, it seems petty but it seems to matter :p

No PvE seem weird, but I guess it could work.

I'm really excited about CU and i do have faith in what ever you have in mind, but some more feedback on the subject would be much appreciated!

Mr Kevin Stares-Darbon

Regular Freddie
hmmm, what about the idea of content unlocking abilities?

Like, say, if I hit 5 million realm points i get a special ability that, if 7 others have it and use it at a special site it kicks off a unique event that we take part in?

They would be few and far between but would make realm history and your character would pass into realm lore as one of the guys that did ...........

Well, just an idea

Cazedy

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh and as an edit on my last post i don't agree with this part of Carlos Bananos quote in my post:
"I would prefer something that's not just cumulative over the lifetime of the character though, like Faction Points in UO (1 kill gives +1 point, while a death -1 point, and a title depending on your number of points) or Arena rating in WoW"

Because that would only reward the biggest zerg and leave the people who try and stick with a full group or solo at a lot of minus points

Last edited:

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Hello Mark! As most people, I would like to thank you for a awesome awesome game (Dark age of Camelot).

I remember playing the first open beta. First actualy MMO, was like nothing I ever played before. The huge world. The dangers. Exploration. Meeting other people.

I hope Camelot Unchained has the same huge open spaces and not chopped into zones like for example - Guild wars.

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Hey Mark!

Nice to see you on FH:D

As for my question, it's about what kind of reward system you have planned for the people who do like keep taking etc but are more focused on fighting the other realms as solo, duo, smaller group and full group vs group? I know you've said that you want a horizontal progression which is cool, but trying to poke if we might see something as cool as the Realm Ranks you had in daoc? Even if you completely remove the rewards(as RA's etc).

A hard to reach(something like pre NF RRs) ranking system based on kills would be so nice to see for people who will spend loads of time doing what they love and get something to show for it.

Just quoted two other people who expressed some of what i feel as well.

I'm really excited about CU and i do have faith in what ever you have in mind, but some more feedback on the subject would be much appreciated!

Nice to be here. As to your question, we will have a very interesting mechanic to reward people. I've been referring to some of my ideas for Camelot Unchained as being BSC (Bat Shit Crazy) because frankly, I think they are as is the idea of someone investing their own money (as opposed to using all KS funding) to make a niche sub-based MMORPG in today's FTP climate. I agree with you that you need to reward all players whose play style is not the same as other people as long as they contribute to ongoing fight. I'll be talking about this before the KS ends as it is complicated. :)

As to having faith, thank you. I hope that everything you see from us in the next two weeks helps justify that faith.

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
hmmm, what about the idea of content unlocking abilities?

Like, say, if I hit 5 million realm points i get a special ability that, if 7 others have it and use it at a special site it kicks off a unique event that we take part in?

They would be few and far between but would make realm history and your character would pass into realm lore as one of the guys that did ...........

Well, just an idea
:)

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Forgive me for being sceptical, but can we have some proof that you're actually Mark Jacobs? (Blame Dorimor for my lack of trust regarding new users here) Maybe hold up a sign saying something along the lines of "Raven is a massive bender"?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
The new race looks quite interesting, surely the races name will have something draconic in it, would only make sense :p

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Listening to tonight's video, I'll be back shortly.

Dunno what i have to think about the new race mark, If the wings stay like that all the time it would be okayish but if they open up with jumping or so it will be anoying. Cant decide till it gets armor if i like it or not.

ileks

Part of the furniture
A few questions, if they've been covered before please ignore!

Could the game be available on Steam? I feel like this could help sales/publicity at release quite a bit. I only find out about a lot of the smaller games because they pop up on Steam.

Will each class have a mirror in one of the other realms or will they be fairly unique like in DAOC?

One of the things I really dislike about PvP in new MMOs is how drawn out the fights can be. I loved that in daoc if a caster was free to cast he could kill someone in seconds. On the other hand if he was interupted/CC'd he was useless. Will CU be similar in this respect?

Which features from new MMOs (or anything since daoc really) have you enjoyed and will try to to include in CU?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Dunno what i have to think about the new race mark, If the wings stay like that all the time it would be okayish but if they open up with jumping or so it will be anoying. Cant decide till it gets armor if i like it or not.

Yea, hopefully the wings don't open up and flap around wildly when you jump or perform some sort of quick action but also they do need some life/movement, would be nice if they had some sort of use when you did a /taunt command or other commands perhaps?

Cazedy

One of Freddy's beloved
Nice to be here. As to your question, we will have a very interesting mechanic to reward people. I've been referring to some of my ideas for Camelot Unchained as being BSC (Bat Shit Crazy) because frankly, I think they are as is the idea of someone investing their own money (as opposed to using all KS funding) to make a niche sub-based MMORPG in today's FTP climate. I agree with you that you need to reward all players whose play style is not the same as other people as long as they contribute to ongoing fight. I'll be talking about this before the KS ends as it is complicated. :)

As to having faith, thank you. I hope that everything you see from us in the next two weeks helps justify that faith.

Thanks for the answer man, means a lot to hear you have us in mind as well. Absolutely loved your new update/race btw! Reminds me of the bainshee

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Forgive me for being sceptical, but can we have some proof that you're actually Mark Jacobs? (Blame Dorimor for my lack of trust regarding new users here) Maybe hold up a sign saying something along the lines of "Raven is a massive bender"?
Hmm. A mod can email me, wouldn't that do it?

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Understood. It's truly a prototype. Under normal (not Kickstarter) conditions, those races would have only been shown in concept art form. Because of the KS however, the team pushed to get it modeled, rigged, textured and animated. I like it a lot and there actually is a bit of a backstory I'm building behind it. So far, it's coming out well but it is indeed very early.

Kyrana

Regular Freddie
I think that it should have a very frightening look to it when it is running.

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
A few questions, if they've been covered before please ignore!

Could the game be available on Steam? I feel like this could help sales/publicity at release quite a bit. I only find out about a lot of the smaller games because they pop up on Steam.

Not likely because Valve wants a big chunk of the revenue. I respect that of course and Gabe's contribution to the industry is amazing but for now, we'll self-distribute via Torrent.

Will each class have a mirror in one of the other realms or will they be fairly unique like in DAOC?

No mirrors. Been there, done that. Never again for this type of game.

One of the things I really dislike about PvP in new MMOs is how drawn out the fights can be. I loved that in daoc if a caster was free to cast he could kill someone in seconds. On the other hand if he was interupted/CC'd he was useless. Will CU be similar in this respect?

As of now, yes.

Which features from new MMOs (or anything since daoc really) have you enjoyed and will try to to include in CU?
Some of the classes in GW2 I found quite immersive through gameplay. I want a very fluid, smooth combat system. As to other systems, well, I'm curious as to what you will think about our housing/building update. In truth, CU intends to do without a lot of the modern systems that Dark Age/WoW/WAR/etc. added to MMOs. No AH, no GPS maps, no question marks above NPC's heads, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Thanks for the answer man, means a lot to hear you have us in mind as well. Absolutely loved your new update/race btw! Reminds me of the bainshee
Thanks. Good to be here, truly. It's been quite friendly so far.

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
Understood. It's truly a prototype. Under normal (not Kickstarter) conditions, those races would have only been shown in concept art form. Because of the KS however, the team pushed to get it modeled, rigged, textured and animated. I like it a lot and there actually is a bit of a backstory I'm building behind it. So far, it's coming out well but it is indeed very early.

Your team is doing a great job, alot of creative people you got there :) I really hope i can help out alot the with internal testing, having more then 15 year mmo's under the belt, Camelot since beta till now also :) I know what bugs to look for and come up with some great feedback :)

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
Your team is doing a great job, alot of creative people you got there :) I really hope i can help out alot the with internal testing, having more then 15 year mmo's under the belt, Camelot since beta till now also :) I know what bugs to look for and come up with some great feedback :)
I'm honored, truly.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Thanks for the answers. I like the sound of no GPS maps, no blatant quest NPCs. Make people feel like noobs again if you can, it will be refreshing :) One of my earliest memories from daoc is being utterly lost in that big bloody forest in Albion whose name I can't recall!

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Going to email Mark on kickstarter, I created on Freddyshouse within a week (if not on the day) Freddyshouse opened, hope that should suffice for people?

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
And Mark Jacobs confirmed that it is indeed him posting here on Freddyshouse

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I understand alot more will be explained when the housing info/update is released but could you give us a very brief/rough idea about the level of customization we'll have? like in DAOC we could buy a plot -> house -> plop house down and fill it with trophies, that was more or less its only real purpose apart from a little extra vault space and being able to sell items through a personal consignment merchant :) can you give us even 1 set in stone example of CU's housing that will blow us away? (atleast those of us that like that sorta thing as a time sink)

Mark Jacobs

The real MJ
I understand alot more will be explained when the housing info/update is released but could you give us a very brief/rough idea about the level of customization we'll have? like in DAOC we could buy a plot -> house -> plop house down and fill it with trophies, that was more or less its only real purpose apart from a little extra vault space and being able to sell items through a personal consignment merchant :) can you give us even 1 set in stone example of CU's housing that will blow us away? (atleast those of us that like that sorta thing as a time sink)
The housing update will be Friday or Saturday but since you asked, all I will say is that you will be pleasantly surprised (I hope).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom