Camelot Unchained

Aada

Part of the furniture
Like i said, first days usually call the kickstarter success. Looking doubtful and an MMO with 2mil? Heh, not gonna happen anyway.

Have you read anything about the game at all?

MJ is backing the game with $2million of his own cash
MJ has already secured $1million from other sources

At least do a bit of research before you start doom mongering.

Aada

Part of the furniture
They added a shit load of terribly designed pve (which you can thank Mark Jacobs for btw). Current DAOC pve is probably just about right.

You mean at the current DAOC state you can pretty much just buy everything you need from various merchants? everyone just buys plats sure you get a few that farm because thats what they have always done.

New/returning players mostly just buy plats and buy the shit they need.

PVE is a pointless obstacle in the way of the meat of the game and serves no purpose in DAOC.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
image-235625-full.jpg

Ok i'm sorry but what the fuck ia a Qunari from DA2 doing in this game? :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have you read anything about the game at all?

MJ is backing the game with $2million of his own cash
MJ has already secured $1million from other sources

At least do a bit of research before you start doom mongering.

Don't be such a fanboy that everything has to be blown out of proportion. Yeah i know about the extra cash, but even that is pennies in the MMO market.

Even 10 mil is stretching it.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I can see it slowly climbing to around 1.4m until the last few days then people who are on the borderline like myself might give it a punt. As soon as it starts to get close and the deadline day looms i imagine people who have already pledged will perhaps review their pledge to just make it happen. Regardless though, looking at other kickstart things, i've noticed alot of them have 600% +, and really this shows if it is wanted or not. Barely reaching 100% can be classed as a success for a MMO?

Aada

Part of the furniture
Don't be such a fanboy that everything has to be blown out of proportion. Yeah i know about the extra cash, but even that is pennies in the MMO market.

Even 10 mil is stretching it.

I'm not being a fanboi, if you know about the extra cash then you should have stated that in your post instead of leaving out the details.

If he reaches his goal then backing from other sources may come in, if not it doesn't matter clearly he and his team have gone over the finances of what this project will take to make.

They are using their own engine so that itself saves a shit load of money, and i assume many other things will be done to save money where possible, MJ know's he doesn't have the backing of EA with a bottomless pit of money to spend.

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The problem is the funding he needs is absolutely insane he needs 5million minimum but realistically he needs 10million to get it off the ground.

His studio has 13 staff members so that will need to jump into the hundreds, basically folks its looking like 3 years before its released if at all.

I don't see it making it past kickstarter, with the no PVE thing as well that erases a huge chunk of any player base.

Lets just hope that one of those hardcore players still playing DAOC is a millionaire and wants his wildest dreams to come true.

Ahem. Yeah, your move ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Ahem. Yeah, your move ;)

That post was made in February since then more info has come to light.

My post states he needs 5million minimum and the minimum is 5million after his kickstarter goals are reached and his own money/money gained from other sources.

Not sure what your point is, your the one running round saying 2million is not enough then when i call you out on the facts you say 'yeah i knew anyway'

Sure you did :D

All this coming from the guy who did the numbers on Diablo 3 profits, any chance you have done the numbers on this too? go on give me a laugh.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, here's the numbers; 5 million won't make a good mmo. Even in 2003 the minimum was 10mil.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
By that theory.

Why haven't EA made one decent MMO yet?

Because they have no idea what they are doing. Actually they do, they just churn out junk for stupid people.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Wasn't DAoC made on about 2mil?

Yeap, but that was a long time ago. Ofcourse you can make an mmo with 5 mil, just the pure time(which money is) won't allow for a good one.

Could prove me wrong, but doubtful.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Wasn't DAoC made on about 2mil?

think so.

and as this game will not gave PVE, the amount of content needed is a fraction of what is needed for a pve oriented MMO and so it should be a lot cheaper to make than most other mmo's.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Hey Muylaetrix, my fav mad Ice Wizi :)
/wave

long time no seen bud ... or actually, we've probably ran into each other daily over the last few weeks as i see you are on Aurora Glade and i'm on Gandara :p
Look for the white haired human necro with " Gandara recruit [TDA] " (or something in that vain) above his head :p

good to see you are still around.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I just read update 10 and I'm so happy he hasn't caved in and added PVE to the game and he and his team are sticking to their vision of the game.

Nate

FH is my second home
Think 1 million would have been a better bet for the kickstarter

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
You mean at the current DAOC state you can pretty much just buy everything you need from various merchants? everyone just buys plats sure you get a few that farm because thats what they have always done.

New/returning players mostly just buy plats and buy the shit they need.

PVE is a pointless obstacle in the way of the meat of the game and serves no purpose in DAOC.
I think you're forgetting that DAOC has been out for over twelve years now, just about everyone has done every possible aspect of PvE possible, people simply can't be arsed to do the same inane shit again and again. Back in the day just about no one bought plats online, I do think that's half to do with how MMO's have changed though.

No PvE is a mistake imo, you can't chill out and duo some shit with a mate in PvP, it's too competitive.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I don't see DAoC2/Camelot Unchained emerging as a good game, if it emerges at all. Not read anything that gives me faith in the project.
If it turns out I'm wrong, that would be awesome.

No PvE is a mistake imo, you can't chill out and duo some shit with a mate in PvP, it's too competitive.

While I agree, I think Jacobs seems to be trying to win over the Eve PvPers and Planetside 2 types.

Personally, I like variety and there's no way I'd pay a subscription for a PvP-only game.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah not looking too good. If every backer would put a 100 more into it, it'd still lack half a mil from the goal.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'd give it a bash based solely on the fact it's as close to a Camelot sequel as we'll ever get. Can't see me getting as much longevity out of it as I did the original though.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Not really getting my hopes up for this one. The way i see it, it's not even half the game which Daoc was so it shouldn't be subscription based. I was expecting somekind of system like GW2, pay for the game then it's free unless you want to buy extra bags or xp boost etc etc. Yes it does sound like it's Daoc without the pve but i reckon even a pvp game needs somekind of pve for chill time otherwise if someone like a healer from your "set group" logs you all log.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
tbh, give me a subscription based game without cash shop any day instead of the GW2 system where they milk you like a cow in various ways and have an excuse to invest little in their servers with skill lag and culling (ok, they fixed that now) because they don't have an 'income' that pays for state of the art servers.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Not really getting my hopes up for this one. The way i see it, it's not even half the game which Daoc was so it shouldn't be subscription based. I was expecting somekind of system like GW2, pay for the game then it's free unless you want to buy extra bags or xp boost etc etc. Yes it does sound like it's Daoc without the pve but i reckon even a pvp game needs somekind of pve for chill time otherwise if someone like a healer from your "set group" logs you all log.

yeah, that worries me a bit too about what to do in the game when you dislikes crafting, you don't have your set group, a zerg, or a soloable class.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie

A pure PvP game can work, but I seriously doubt a "DAoC-clone" could work without the PvE.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
If I am reading it right (please correct me if I am wrong!) There will be no archer class at launch...

wut?

eksdee

FH is my second home
In the recent videos about combat, Jacobs said he wanted an Archer class but not if he felt it would be OP/lame [in so many words, obviously].

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom