Beta testers

O

old.zach

I noticed a couple of column updates on tn complaining about clans like cF, HH and MnO getting pre-selected for beta. Well there were also some complaints on the tw forums about US clans like IE =S3= and 5150 getting the beta and this was Dave’s reply.

---

I understand your comment about not giving the top teams the advantage.

Unfortunately, those top teams are also *excellent* candidates to give feedback to us on our various team-enhancing elements (interfaces, strategies, etc.) and I wanted the very best teams (in Europe, Australia and the States) to provide feedback on those elements.

Yes, it will give them a headstart. But it won't make them invulnerable or anything. Good teamplay can catch others up fairly quickly if the individual skill levels of the players are excellent also.

It's a headstart, yes. But it's not an insurmountable one.

Dgeorgeson

---

Also its worth mentioning that no one in IE was a T1 beta tester in fact tribes had been out for a few months before they formed, yet they still managed to become quite good :)

- Near

[This message has been edited by zach (edited 06 September 2000).]

O

old.Stamper2

I have to agree with Nicen there, it does seem Dynamix have just taken the easy option of picking the best clans which still exist, and disregarding the not so good, but still as dedicated clans.

But there is one tribe that has not been mentioned, a tribe which has always haunted the UKTL:

EM

I've heard rumours of this tribe getting the beta, which probobly is true as Brit runs tribesplayers and that other tribes site which I cant remember the name.

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

I think the jealousy is more down to some not getting the beta, rather than any unfair advantage being gained.

I have been lucky enough to actually see the game running at the ECTS show in London. And here the shocker for everyone... It's still a first person shooter !!!! :p

I came to the Tribes scene from Half-Life, so I already had the basic skills needed to survive against more seasoned Tribes players. If you're going from Tribes to Tribes 2, you ain't gonna find it difficult.

So there's ground vehicles, they won't make a great deal of difference. There's the rocket launcher, not a difficult weapon to dodge, no more so than the disc launcher. There's the new airbourne vehicles, even easier to fly than the old ones.

The point I am trying to make is a seasoned Tribes player will have no difficulty playing Tribes 2 and beating another player who happened to be a beta testers from day one.

For anyone worried that they'll get massacred by the beta testers in the first few months of Tribes 2's release, don't be. There are far more training missions and an offline campaign to get you acquainted with Tribes 2. And there are Bots for you to practice against.

The transistion from Tribes to Tribes 2 will be much less difficult than even learning to play a different mod.

Any advantage that the beta testers will have, will vanish within a week. Or to put it another way, if they face me or my clan, their advantage will disappear the moment they press fire to spawn :D

SG

www.spam.cwc.net

[This message has been edited by SPAM SemiGod (edited 07 September 2000).]

O

old.-I^F- NG

I find it absolutely ridiculous that, after taking what, 30'000 applicants they just go and give them to teams like HH and MnO and not to those that are "less accomplished". Theres many teams out there more dedicated (tho not necessarily as good) as the teams taht have been given the beta. And although u may accuse me of jealousy, it is certainly not that, as I have no problems with not receiving it. Its simply a matter that certain groups are getting shown preference when there is a wider community to deal with and not just HH etc.
The result of the beta merely shows another step int he mess dynamix have been making in the run up to tribes 2.

Firstly the 1.11 patch, which took a vast area of customisation away from the game. Sure some cheats were bad, but the patch was pointless as red mines and chainspk.dts can still be used anyway. The result of the patch turns the game even more against newbies and clans who dont have a scripter than it ever had been before.

Secondy they indicate that they want to decrease skiing, or change the terrain in tribes 2, therefore virtually removing one of the best features of the game. I would just like to point out that without such a feature a lot of people would have left Tribes a long time ago, and therefore Tribes 2's longetivity is in question. How many people will be happy to spend most of theri time queing up for equipment then queing up for a vehicle, then going right across the map only to be killed by an R-T or something and having to do the whole process over again?

Thirdly, the beta test selection. What a really good idea it must have been to put on thee pretence of a fair selection of beta testers. Whereas in reality, Dynamix are handing it out to a select few, (interestingly those that are most capable of making up any gap in skills/tactics when the game comes out) and ignoring the people that actually still play the game every day and are a hell of a lot more dedicated than any MnO or HH and im sure theres at least several thousand out there that fall into that category. I feel that dynamix have just messed us all around, as they could just have sent the beta to these teams in the first place (which I wouldnt have been annoyed about). What really aggravates me is the pretence of having a fair selection of beta testers when in reality the number of applicants (hardly any of whom had any hope) will be likely be used for publicity purposes in selling the game. At the moment im right on the verge of not buying the game when it comes out because this latest action is simply ridiculous.

O

old.Crunchy

NG, HH not dedicated? HH have played tribes since January 1999, a full 6 months before it was released in the UK. HH have taken part in every UKTL/BWTL season and cups, have taken part in MPTL for 2 seasons and have now entered "The Ladder". HH have two BWTL Chief Admins, a BWTL Match Admin, and two BW public server admins. HH have two long standing scripters, both of whom release scripts and provide support via irc and email. HH have two ppl involved in TribesNation. HH have several players that play for England. Spear has provided private servers for several UK tribes and MPTL for one season. I now work full time at BarrysWorld as the Tribes Community Manager, I do all the tribes related stuff at BW. HH not dedicated? Think again.

------------------
Crunchy
Community Manager @ BarrysWorld
crunchy@barrysworld.com
http://leagues.barrysworld.com/bwtl/

[This message has been edited by Crunchy (edited 07 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Crunchy (edited 09 September 2000).]

O

old.-I^F- NG

oh come on crunchy give us all a break, half your players are inactive and hardly play, I know this for a FACT, its not simply a suggestion. Similarly not everyone u have in your squad has been playing since 6 months before tribes blah blah blah etc.

Think before you speak theres lots of players out there that play tribes a hell of a lot more than most if not all of the HH players do

O

old.BigBunny

For your information not all 32 members will get the beta. Only most actives and like 1 or 2 inactives who are getting active for Tribes 2.

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

Thanks for that, Brit. Those figures would seem to suggest that the UK is the 3rd largest Tribes playing nation in the world after the US and Canada. Probably explains how I ended up being an Admin on Tribes TAC servers in Nova Scotia ;)

SG

www.spam.cwc.net

P.s. And we beat the Germans! WooHoo! :p

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

Ok, so I know practically nothing about Tribes 2. me/ says sarcastically

Read my fairly extensive report on Tribes 2 at http://www.tribesgamer.com/tribes2report.htm (yep, admin that's me)

The details have been verified accurate by none other than Dave Georgeson himself!

Also you may be interested to know that I own the domains www.tribesgamer.com and www.tribesgamer.net as well as being the leader of the TAC clan [SPAM] and being the creator of a couple of popular sound packs (in the TAC scene at least). And guess what? I didn't get picked to be a beta tester either.

But you don't hear me slagging off the ones who where lucky enough to get picked :p

SG

www.spam.cwc.net

P.s. Did I forget to mention, I also run the [SPAM] website, I'm an Admin on TST DogsBreath TAC servers etc etc...

P.p.s. Hehe, Crunchy, you fell into my trap. Now I know you're alive, you can jolly well respond to that email I sent you FIVE DAYS AGO you slacker :p

O

old.-I^F- NG

read up ^^^^^^

Its not that i didnt get selected that annoys me, as u dont expect to get selected from the amount of applicants there were. Its the fact that dynamix showed a high extent of favoritism in selecting the beta testers and pretending the rest of the community actually had a chance in the first place.

Please read the full message carefully before criticising what I write.

[This message has been edited by -I^F- NG (edited 08 September 2000).]

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

Oh, but I did. Certainly sounds like a severe case of sour grapes to me :rolleyes:

O

old.Albertrud

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Its not that i didnt get selected that annoys me, as u dont expect to get selected from the amount of applicants there were. Its the fact that dynamix showed a high extent of favoritism in selecting the beta testers and pretending the rest of the community actually had a chance in the first place.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes it fvckin is cuz you didn't get beat cry baby.
Why would they give it to some one like you, who wouldn't push the code to its fullest?
Yet when you give it to the top rank tribes you know the cheat / bugs are gonna be found ;)

I swear nicen, you need a good kickin

oh, BTW, I got beta, did you nicen ?

O

old.mad12

Seems to be a lot of talk about 'sour grapes' and 'jealousy'. I just hate being treated unfairly - nout wrong with that :)
I looked at the form again and I couldn't see where I filled in the bit which said - "How good is the clan you play in with Tribes 1". Maybe I missed it.

Btw, is it just me or is it a coincedence that the best tribes seem to be the best scripters....
Hmmmm.

(No more hate mail please it's just an sly comment :))

mad

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

Hmmmm.... I dunno mate.

I'm the only person who has released any kind of scripting in my clan and it's fairly basic stuff. I'd go so far as to say crap ;)

Despite my inability to write amazing scripts, [SPAM] are still the best TAC clan this side of the equator.

Still, we can probably look forward to being beta testers for TAC 2 :D

SG
www.why.do.u.need.me.to.tell.u.my.url.again

P.s. I make that email reply SIX days overdue, Crunchy, yer bone idle fop :p. Still you have a long way to go before you reach the likes of Poker & Dr Chris for not answering email. They may as well have email addresses say 'don't bother writing, we won't answer'. You're more likely to score in a convent than get a reply :p :p :p :p

O

old.[WTc]SIEFLY

Personally im happy on one note that HH got the beta mainly becouse Crunchy as to be main man at mo in the BWTL and it will be good for a league admin for BWTL to get the beta and plan for the first tribes 2 league.

Im also dissapointed that some players were chosen rather then people like Suds and me who both run tribes leagues in the UK for all.
ETL is hugely successfull and the MPTL is getting bigger and better every season and i was hoping to get the beta as to plan for Tribes 2 league which i may like to carry on for the MPTL.

Oh well whatever we say its not going to change owt so its a waste of time moaning i guess.i just personally feel gutted that i have done all this hard work to run a Tribes league volentree to promote tribes and not even get concidered to test T2.

But such is life i guess..

=W= SieFly

O

old.Stamper2

The point of a private beta is to spot any bugs or glitches in the game. Not to test gameplay, many people get confused between this.

You need a wide range of players, each with different styles, who will do different things, each finding different bugs.

These bugs can then be removed and dynamix can release their public beta. This is where they get feedback on gameplay and what changed need to be made to improve the game. Ever played Q3Test or UT Demo, then played the real thing and seen all the changes?

O

old.Stamper2

soz for the abrubt end but i cant be arsed typing and am off to bed

O

old.Brit

Dave Georgeson has posted again on the forums at Euro-Tribesplayers.com wrt to the ongoing beta process; specifically that those people who brag about (in fact do anything to announce their beta place) are in fact breaking their NDA are may be removed from the beta without warning.

You can catch the whole thread here:
http://www.tribesplayers.co.uk/forums/Forum2/HTML/000086.html

Cheers,

Brit.

O

old.Ewan

Id like to point out that a public beta is most definitely meant to test gameplay balance, weapons capability, etc, as well as the bugs.

In fact, i doubt Dynamix are expecting any serious bug reports from public beta testers as formal beta testing for bugs is an incredibly boring task involving doing the same task dozens of times in a row, checking every time that the same fault happened, changing things ever so slightly each time. Sierra will have their own internal bug finding team, the public people will be testing it for "fun-ness"

Ewan

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

For those who are interested, I managed to hunt down Crunchy ;)

[SPAM]SemiGod's guide to Crunchy hunting
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Step 1. Purchase large Trout*
<LI>Step 2. Log on to IRC
<LI>Step 3. Search out all the usual hiding holes the Crunchy uses
<LI>Step 4. Log on to the hiding hole he's hiding in
<LI>Step 5. Brandish aforementioned large Trout ;)
<LI>Step 6. Take careful aim
<LI>Step 7. SLAP the Crunchy** :D
<LI>Step 8. Type him a message before he regains his composure
<LI>Step 9. Voila, a guaranteed response...
[/list]

SG

www.unashamed.forum.hog

*If Trout not available use tinned Salmon
**Do not repeat if you want him alive

O

old.-I^F- Knave

Guess What Albie you are probably the most aggrivating sod I ahve ever met btw download Queen - We will rock you... I think they made the tune jsut with you in mind.

I agree with lots of other people about that giving only experienced tribes the betas it just shows how much a bunch of idiots the people who are making T2 have been recently.

They have tried to remove some of the most fun aspects of the gamewhile making it, being the fast paced (Ski'ing) game. Anyone remember Tribes Plus?? where they ran a server on it for like 2 days before no one even glanced in its direction. Well expect Tribes 2 to be like that after 2 months... Especially with idiots like Albie being the Beta testers.

No offence to HH or other Older tribes who seem to have got preferential treatment as many are extremely dedicated to Tribes apart from when they are inactive.. (Although Crunchy can take offence because he gets up my nose with his l33t'ist Know it all attitude)

However the fact is that giving the older clans all the betas gives them a head start in devising new scripts/cheats before the game even starts.

P.S Still waiting for TWC T-Shirts!!! Where are they? hehe

---------------------------------------------
Btw Albie you are an obtrusive wanker.
---------------------------------------------

O

old.Ego

Can we please end this thread now! It has become nothing more than a personal insult thread!

And Knave if you dislike crunchy may i suggest removing ALL of his scripts from your machine as to contnue running them would be nothing less than hypocritical!

I can appreciate sticking up for your fellow clan mate but personal insults get you nowhere (except a bad rep).

Go read my column for my views at www.tribesnation.co.uk (plug, plug) :)

O

old.Kattanga

shutup.jpg

[This message has been edited by Kattanga (edited 10 September 2000).]

O

old.Baldylocks

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -I^F- Knave:

However the fact is that giving the older clans all the betas gives them a head start in devising new scripts/cheats before the game even starts.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are you saying that all the good, or older clans cheat?

I for one think that they will help sort out the balance of the gameplay, that ppl on a public server cant do.

Chadman

O

old.SPAM SemiGod

--------------------- :p-------------------------
hatsuck.jpg

[This message has been edited by SPAM SemiGod (edited 11 September 2000).]

O

old.-Larch-

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOolololololollLLOLOLOLOLLOLOlolololololol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom