News apple 1bn samsug 0

Kryten

Old Cow.
Sorry but what sort of argument is "That's why a lot of people hate Apple. They can't afford it."

That's just written off any logic you've tried to impart here.
Here's a £100 Android handset which does exactly the same thing. It's not quite as flashy and correct, the UI isn't quite as intuitive.
Anyone who says "you only buy one of those because you can't afford an iDevice is clearly a moron. I have no quarms with people buying them because that's what they like and can afford it. Hell, I've probably had more iDevices than anyone else in here. I've never bought one (working) and probably never will. I used a 3G for a month or so (like all of them, bought/acquired them faulty, repaired) and didn't personally like it because it was worthless to someone like me because I couldn't do with it what the hell I wanted.
That's personal though. With so many people buying iPhones because it's a "keep up with my mates/I don't want my social penis size to shrink to unacceptable levels/sheep" thing it's difficult to keep serious over it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I can see that, anyone who buys one just to have the same and their mates deserves to be hit in the face with one. And like you say buying the phone is personal, for me the Applications, Warranty and Updates make it worth the premium. But I am lucky and as its a company phone I get to buy it pre tax and with no VAT so it is not that expensive. I will still need to work a few Saturdays to get one though.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Most people get them as part of a contract, there is no difference in the cost between a decent andriod phone and an Iphone. Saying it is a matter of affordability is pretty odd really.

Sheep who have the need to make people think they have lots of money might get one for that reason but most don't, they get them because they fall for the marketing gumph.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You do tend to get more contract for your money on no iPhone contracts, the £30 one I am on for example went from 600 minutes on blackberry to 150 for the iPhone, I have no idea why my work accepted that when they did not get a free iPhone but there you go :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The ONE thing apple have done is champion the simple ui and I applaud them for that, without steve jobs we'd still be using some goddam awful descendent of windows mobile. I've used both and ios is no better than android, but they both owe the fundamentals to many other manufacturers before them, nokia included.
Im simply not prepared to pay more for less functionality and that connector dock had to go it was like something off a 90s phone, samsung will destroy apple as people slowly wake up to the facts, that fine wad just a frw days turnover for samsung.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Kryten said:

Pointless discussion is pointless. I'm trying to put meat on the bones of the "why?", but you're a vitriolic hater so it's a waste of time, therefore I shall bow out of this.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Also one other thing, Note 2 announced last week and has rumoured release dates ranging from 1st November to 1st March. iPhone announced last night ready to ship on the 21st. Apple know how to handle a product release.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Also one other thing, Note 2 announced last week and has rumoured release dates ranging from 1st November to 1st March. iPhone announced last night ready to ship on the 21st. Apple know how to handle a product release.

This. I don't like Apple's philosophy at all and I'm underwhelmed by the product, but they've got distribution and support nailed, whereas Samsung are dia-fucking-bolical at both (my Galaxy Tab has had one firmware update in nearly two years, and long promised ICS upgrade simply never happened).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's not to say that Samsung *don't* know how to handle a product release - the S3 went from being unveiled to being released in under 4 weeks, with Samsung satisfying 9m pre-orders in the process.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Not to mention "ready to ship" doesn't mean "will ship" ;)

Every woman is ready to f*ck at 16, but damn if the release date doesn't fluctuate.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Not to mention "ready to ship" doesn't mean "will ship" ;)
With Apple a lot of times it means just that, they don't say ready to ship and then just go "Got ya, it will be 3 months" they do tend to cover a lot of the pre orders on release day.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's illegal to pay in coins over a certain value to stop that sort of thing.
Only if using coins 50p or below. If using £1 or above you can use them to settle any size debt.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
600€...for a phone...let that sink in.

And if you bought the 4 then you spent another sum like that.

And for 4.5...geees.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
£529 to £699 for an iPhone 5? No fucking chance.
That's torn it for me for definite. Over £500 notes for a new phone plus cost of an adapter for the car (with no guarantee it'll fit into my existing setup) plus even the old Apple "sock" screen protector won't fit on the new one... *pfft*

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
That's torn it for me for definite. Over £500 notes for a new phone plus cost of an adapter for the car (with no guarantee it'll fit into my existing setup)... *pfft*

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-13-uk-iphone-5-prices-start-at-529

£699 for the top end is obscene, it is a fucking 4 inch screen, a £30 quid battery, some gorilla glass and a PCB/Chipset combo that costs no more than £100 to manufacture. Ok throw in 64gb of flash storage, it's still a fucking joke. Pushing twice the retail price the yanks will pay.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have an iPhone 4S and I think it's great. My gripe is having to use Handbrake to convert files to MP4 or M4V so that I can watch them, however the music player is fantastic compared to the two....yes two audio programs I used on Android. I am sure there are some awesome ones out there.

I don't see the 5 as an upgrade so won't bother. I am keen to try the new software as I saw this on a friends 4S using a developer version.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Why are people surprised. They sell by the truck load they do not need to drop £100 off the price to try and sell any more, look at the companies bank accounts they are not hurting.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
For that price i'd expect my phone to give me wakeup blowjobs instead of an alarm clock, fry up bacon instead of the snooze button and a free stripper with every text message.

And a packet of free jellybabies in the post everyday, obviously!

old.user4556

Wazzerphuk said:
For £700 you could get an amazey laptop.

For £700 it does at least come image stabilised …...............................,...,,,,,,...,,,.,,..,,,..!!!!! ;)

Aada

Part of the furniture
Waiting for the Nokia 920, WP7/8 is the only appealing OS out right now, at least MS isn't trying to copy Android/Apple with that stupid UI they have both been using for years.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Waiting for the Nokia 920, WP7/8 is the only appealing OS out right now, at least MS isn't trying to copy Android/Apple with that stupid UI they have both been using for years.

Fanboys gonna fan.

To be honest, if it was just about the best UI, I'd agree with him. WP8 is miles more attractive than iOS or Android. Unfortunately its about more than just the UI.

old.user4556

Don't get me wrong, that Nokia Lumia 920 looks better every time I see a hands on / preview.

Windows 8 feels real slick, I much prefer it to Android.

Poag

m00?
tDwSF.png

Apple: Your move Samsung
Samsung: ......

old.user4556

Also, just been reading that only two UK networks will support LTE: EE and Three.

No thanks.

Giffgaff won't have nano SIMS for "months".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom