News apple 1bn samsug 0

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think it was the older ones that couldn't wasn't it? As far as I remember they made a big deal of being able to multitask on one of the later models...in typical Apple style.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think it was the older ones that couldn't wasn't it? As far as I remember they made a big deal of being able to multitask on one of the later models...in typical Apple style.
Yeah I think the 3gs made a big deal about adding the radical feature known as iTasking* which allows you to open more than one application at the same time. *patent pending

opticle

Part of the furniture
What annoys me off is their claims regarding "touch to zoom patent" and all that crap... ITS A FUCKING TOUCHSCREEN WHAT DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO DO WITH IT?

I can't believe people / judges actually fall for giving them credit for such common sense - it's not innovation, its just the only logical way to do it.

And don't get me started on patenting 'elastic menu recoil' .. wtf ?

soze

I am a FH squatter
opticle said:
What annoys me off is their claims regarding "touch to zoom patent" and all that crap... ITS A FUCKING TOUCHSCREEN WHAT DO YOU WANT PEOPLE TO DO WITH IT?

I can't believe people / judges actually fall for giving them credit for such common sense - it's not innovation, its just the only logical way to do it.

And don't get me started on patenting 'elastic menu recoil' .. wtf ?

To be fair if they were the first to market with it and spent the money developing it before they knew people would accept it should they not be allowed to patent and then licence it? I do not know if apple had it first btw.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Apple didnt develop pinch zoom, some guy on ted is showing it off on a touchscreen table as a new innovation

opticle

Part of the furniture
To be fair if they were the first to market with it and spent the money developing it before they knew people would accept it should they not be allowed to patent and then licence it? I do not know if apple had it first btw.

You shouldn't be able to patent something that is (a) Completely, painfully obvious and (b) Blocks others from being able to make their competing products (which are allowed) useable.

How many ways are there to accurately control zoom with pure touchscreen? There is little/no other effective way to do it - if you disagree, please give examples.

To me it just seems like patenting ""tapping" to enter commands or press buttons on a touchscreen device".

And when it comes to spending the money developing it and people accepting it... I seriously doubt it required much investment to develop considering touchscreens have been around forever (and someone else already developed it as above) - and as it is one of the very few ways to actually zoom on a touchscreen, I'm not sure how people could have struggled to engage with it.

It didn't take a genius to do it, school kids could have said that was the best (and ?only) decent way to do it.

And I hope you aren't suggesting elastic menu recoil should be their's and took a lot to develop / be accepted ;)

When it comes down to it, fair enough, Apple did a great job marketing the iPad to the mainstream market and they were the first to successfully do that en masse - the real question is, do they have a right to monopolise that beyond the initial boom before other companies see the potential and get involved ? They seem to think so, and no one else does.

I can see their frustration now they actually have to deal with competition and they're running out of "innovation" to wow lay people with, but I think the way they are going about it is pathetic.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You shouldn't be able to patent something that is (a) Completely, painfully obvious and (b) Blocks others from being able to make their competing products (which are allowed) useable.

How many ways are there to accurately control zoom with pure touchscreen? There is little/no other effective way to do it - if you disagree, please give examples.
I don't take issue with anything you say here. But for me whoever invented pinch to zoom did it before everyone else. They then developed it and put it to market. Then after they spent all that money perfecting it and other manufactures see it works and people like it they just copy the idea. So to me it seems like they (whoever came up with it) should get some protection and acclaim for that. Law suites are bs but maybe make it a licensed option?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I did't know Ipoons can multitask now, I was comparing my old 5800 with one last year and it couldn't, I thought it was the latest model, obviously not.
They still poo, and I don't have Android boner, a symbian man myself who has to face the inevitable, Nokia were doing all this stuff years ago, I had my old N95 in the car, using it as a hotspot for the laptop, music out throuh a jack, Tomtom running and it could still take a call without missing a beat.

opticle

Part of the furniture
I don't take issue with anything you say here. But for me whoever invented pinch to zoom did it before everyone else. They then developed it and put it to market. Then after they spent all that money perfecting it and other manufactures see it works and people like it they just copy the idea. So to me it seems like they (whoever came up with it) should get some protection and acclaim for that. Law suites are bs but maybe make it a licensed option?

I see what you're saying and in many ways I agree - I'd be pissed when competitors try to get involved in the niche in the market I discovered and made good use of.. but that's inevitable. It wasn't their 'novel' ideas of "pinch to zoom" or "rectangle with rounded edges" etc. that made them so successful - those weren't particularly clever or revolutionary ideas (imo) - it was their marketing and the taking advantage of the gap in the market.. unfortunately you can't patent that, so they're trying to do it by protecting the ideas/market niche instead, which don't really deserve it - and so you lose competition/variety, which means the consumer loses.

The above is the reason why taking advantage of gaps in the market can't come from individuals/small businesses as much anymore - big companies swoop in and do the same thing, for cheaper. Apple has the advantage of lots of money to pay expensive patent lawyers to argue anal points, which the small folk don't have, which is why this has been able to go on like it has - which isn't really fair. Different rules for those with lots of money.

Taking the example probably a bit too far, it's like whoever invented the keyboard when PCs first came out patenting it as a "medium for entry of text on a screen through specific keypresses laid out in a rectangular frame" or something like that :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What the fuck are you waffling about my iPhone has every app open that i have used since my last restart. By pushing the home button twice i can swipe though all my open apps and go right back to where I left them, with the exception of a few games which start from scratch. So you have shown you either don't know what you are doing or you are just talking shite because your Android boner poked you in the eye.
You're being sucked into a Job logic loop. Avoid.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
So. The iphone5. Who's going to rush out to get one?

Kryten

Old Cow.
anyone with an IQ in double digits.
What sort of fucking mongoloid actually wants to spend their money on one of these things? For that amount of money?
Slow clap.
Plus, they're now going to be absolutely *buttfucked* by both HTC and Samsung.

soze

I am a FH squatter
anyone with an IQ in double digits.
What sort of fucking mongoloid actually wants to spend their money on one of these things? For that amount of money?
Slow clap.
Plus, they're now going to be absolutely *buttfucked* by both HTC and Samsung.
Slow trollol. The 5 will be a good upgrade for everyone with under a 4s who will not be getting the full benefits of iOS6.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'm not sure "baaaah. baaaaah. baaaaaaah or baaaaaaaaah" count as reasons.

I don't know what's worse - haters of fanboys.

Lets take a random example, say an ordinary family car - the Volkswagen Golf. It comes with an optional iPod dock that also support the iPhone. You dock said device and you can now browse all your albums via the steering wheel or touchscreen headunit. It also supports album art. Own any non-Apple product and that won't work. Buy the new Galaxy S3 and it won't work. Buy a Nokia Lumia and it won't work. Apple have a lot of fingers in a lot of pies that make their devices harmonious when it comes to support and compatibility that makes it easy for Joe Average who don't give a pocket of fucks about herpcore CPUs that are 1243 gigaderps.

Here's another example. Sonos, the leader in multi room plug and play networked audio streaming had no Android application until fairly recently. BMW released an iPhone app that allowed you to start your car on a cold morning remotely from your bed - it wasn't available on Android until this year.

You're in a pub / club and hear a song you like. Whip out Shazam on the iPhone, tag the song, click 'purchase on iTunes', within a minute the song's on your iPhone, and when you get back into the house it will sync over WiFi to your home PC's iTunes library.

I could go on, but my point is for Mr and Mrs "I don't know an dual core derp from Adam", Apple products make it blindingly easy for complete noobs given the amount of generic lateral support for the iPhone in the way of applications.

I'm not saying the iPhone is the best phone technically. Far from it. But it's by far got the best ancillaries of any manufacturer.

Kryten

Old Cow.
And you pay like a cunt for the privilidge - daft amounts of money.

Oh by the way, those docks you're on about? Fuck all good with the iPhone5...

My argument really isn't with the 5 - like the other iPhones it'll be decent enough to use. I just can't believe people will still line the pockets of cunts like Apple.

"You're copying our stuff? You'll hear from our lawyers"
"Hi, mind if we steal this idea? And this one. Let's make our entire device out of stolen and copied ideas. We love copying, and we admit to it".

They need to GTFO as they encapsulate everything that is wrong with modern business.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Big G said:

Lets take a random example, say an ordinary family car - the Volkswagen Golf. It comes with an optional iPod dock that also support the iPhone. You dock said device and you can now browse all your albums via the steering wheel or touchscreen headunit. It also supports album art. Own any non-Apple product and that won't work

BMW released an iPhone app that allowed you to start your car on a cold morning remotely from your bed - it wasn't available on Android until...

Get them to fit this instead then...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/GROMAudio/GROM-AND2/prweb9643883.htm

Oh and my car starts first time in cold weather. I don't need an app for that. And it would probably get stolen if it was outside my house with the engine running and nobody around.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Wave your hands over your head and you might still catch the point he was making.

Which was for an average user not some one who is interested in bleeding edge gear the iPhone and it's excellent integration are very tempting. The individual examples were not important.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I got his point but just saying Apples hold on integrated tech is slipping as Android outsells Apple in a big way.

Oh and the average user is an Android one not an Apple user...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
All fanboy/hater shit aside, as a 3GS owner I'm not jumping up and down waving cash at Apple at the prospect of upgrading to a 5. I understand the design is a serious refinement but I just don't think it does enough for me. The camera was the biggest disappointment for me, non super-massive screen I could live with because I'm used to an iPhone anyway.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Lets take a random example, say an ordinary family car - the Volkswagen Golf. It comes with an optional iPod dock that also support the iPhone. You dock said device and you can now browse all your albums via the steering wheel or touchscreen headunit. It also supports album art. Own any non-Apple product and that won't work. Buy the new Galaxy S3 and it won't work. Buy a Nokia Lumia and it won't work. Apple have a lot of fingers in a lot of pies that make their devices harmonious when it comes to support and compatibility that makes it easy for Joe Average who don't give a pocket of fucks about herpcore CPUs that are 1243 gigaderps.

Here's another example. Sonos, the leader in multi room plug and play networked audio streaming had no Android application until fairly recently. BMW released an iPhone app that allowed you to start your car on a cold morning remotely from your bed - it wasn't available on Android until this year.

You're in a pub / club and hear a song you like. Whip out Shazam on the iPhone, tag the song, click 'purchase on iTunes', within a minute the song's on your iPhone, and when you get back into the house it will sync over WiFi to your home PC's iTunes library.

I could go on, but my point is for Mr and Mrs "I don't know an dual core derp from Adam", Apple products make it blindingly easy for complete noobs given the amount of generic lateral support for the iPhone in the way of applications.

I'm not saying the iPhone is the best phone technically. Far from it. But it's by far got the best ancillaries of any manufacturer.

I would generally agree with your logic but Apple just buttfucked all your peripherals by changing their connector design. Now, you can buy an adaptor, but you just know that's going to look ugly and/or not fit in loads of cases (I'm thinking lots of car installs in particular).

Having said all that, loads of iPhone 4 owners will buy the 5 simply because they've spent non-trivial amounts of money in the App Store by now and are locked in to an extent.

soze

I am a FH squatter
dysfunction said:
I got his point but just saying Apples hold on integrated tech is slipping as Android outsells Apple in a big way.

Oh and the average user is an Android one not an Apple user...

Yes Android is taking huge market share as people who had a dumb phone buy a Galaxy Ace ect. But they will not help with integration. The same massive choice that is a plus for consumers is a pain for Kia how many Android phones do you think the can comprehensively test for full functionality?

Apple are good for manufactures in that regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom