News apple 1bn samsug 0

soze

I am a FH squatter
You can normally tell who made it by the big corporate branding on it. Some Samsung Tabs seem to say Samsung on them but this one does not. Looks pretty similar to me. Close enough that if you don't know what your buying you might pick up the wrong one. I don't think Apple should be filing these cases but Samsung are not victims.

275969.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah that comparison show's it quite clearly, though -usually- these things come in boxes that have big apples or samsung text on them :p

soze

I am a FH squatter
old.Tohtori said:
Yeah that comparison show's it quite clearly, though -usually- these things come in boxes that have big apples or samsung text on them :p

Yes I know but if you don't think that some electronics store gimp would think "I know this lady wants an iPad but we have none. If I show her the Samsung and just say this is a newer tablet I can still get a sale" you have more faith in them than me.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
All the tablets look the same, how the fuck did Apple manage to claim they had the right to that look, did they want Samsung to write on it 'not an ipad'

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yes I know but if you don't think that some electronics store gimp would think "I know this lady wants an iPad but we have none. If I show her the Samsung and just say this is a newer tablet I can still get a sale" you have more faith in them than me.

Caveat Emptor. Anyone stupid enough to not look on the back (which has the words "Samsung" and "Galaxy Tab" on it), the box, and the fucking receipt, deserves all they get.

Job

Bleedin Samsung, all they can do is make something better and cheaper, they should be ashamed of themselves

soze

I am a FH squatter
Caveat Emptor. Anyone stupid enough to not look on the back (which has the words "Samsung" and "Galaxy Tab" on it), the box, and the fucking receipt, deserves all they get.
For the most part I agree with you. But if my Granddad went looking to buy an iPad and got sold a Samsung by one of the experts at Comets then i would want them bleeding from the eyes.

DaGaffer

For the most part I agree with you. But if my Granddad went looking to buy an iPad and got sold a Samsung by one of the experts at Comets then i would want them bleeding from the eyes.

Thing is, buying a Tab isn't an impulse purchase for 99% of the people buying one. Its still mostly a discretionary purchase bought by early adopters. Your grandad has a far higher chance of getting fobbed off with a generic laptop powered by asthmatic hamsters on treadmills than he does getting ripped off buying a tablet. Biggest problem would be uniformed people buying one as a gift for someone else, but then it will simply get returned. I genuinely think the idea that anyone is picking up a Samsung by mistake is laughable, despite Apple "witnesses" to the contrary.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Why?
they would have done him a favour.
I have an iPad and I have access to plenty of Android tablets in work, and i would not take one of the Androids over my iPad any day of the week. So while you can have your opinion it is far from fact.

Job

The user interface and speed of the ipad is undoubtedly impressive, but Android tabs have caught up, which only leaves the nailed down aspect of i-anything and the lack of expansion which rules them out for me.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The user interface and speed of the ipad is undoubtedly impressive, but Android tabs have caught up, which only leaves the nailed down aspect of i-anything and the lack of expansion which rules them out for me.
The build quality and ease of getting them fixed added with the fact you don't have to gamble with the update lottery to see if you get the new OS on your 6 month old tablet is what puts the iPad in another league for me. And I have never liked widgets so the locked down aspect is not an issue for me.

Fixed that for you chief.

Not really needed as I never said my view was fact did I but thanks for that :)

DaGaffer

The only thing that makes an iPad better than Android for is the Apps library. There are simply far more apps I want to use on iPad than Android. On the flip side, the current iPad is too big for my needs; the paperback sized 7" tab makes far more sense for me. The only other big win for Android is native file support, which is way better, but there are easy ways to deal with that on iPad. I'll probably replace my Galaxy Tab with the "iPad Mini", if there is such a thing.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Lots of reports saying there will be a 7 inch one announced in October but they were rumored for May as well lol.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You can normally tell who made it by the big corporate branding on it. Some Samsung Tabs seem to say Samsung on them but this one does not. Looks pretty similar to me. Close enough that if you don't know what your buying you might pick up the wrong one. I don't think Apple should be filing these cases but Samsung are not victims.

275969.jpg

Silly photograph with a finger covering the traditional Apple home button. Also, why is the Samsung tablet pictured showing the app drawer, which isn't the main screen? It should show the homescreen with a bunch of widgets, then people wouldn't find them so similar.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Tom said:
Silly photograph with a finger covering the traditional Apple home button. Also, why is the Samsung tablet pictured showing the app drawer, which isn't the main screen? It should show the homescreen with a bunch of widgets, then people wouldn't find them so similar.

Because it is designed to show the similarities not the differences. A trick yes but it works.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Different shapes, the icons are different, different screen sizes.

It's like a TV manufacturer suing another one because their TVs look the same. It's a square thing with a screen on it, there isn't a great deal of wriggle room in design.

It's a fucking tablet, what other shape is it going to be? It's ludicrous the Apple claim to have invented it anyway, they have been in films/tv in one form or another for decades, oh rounded edges! 1 billion! Come on for fucks sake. And icons? Really? what have I been double clicking all these years! On a grid??? the innovation!

Clearly a retarded decision and one that will hopefully be overturned. This patent nonsense needs to be nipped in the bud.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Because it is designed to show the similarities not the differences. A trick yes but it works.
1 point made in the groklaw article is precisely this: the design of 4 icons in a row shouldn't even have been awarded a patent in the first place.
Relatedly, the ability to get a design patent on a user interface implies that design patent law is broken. This, to me, is the Supreme Court issue in this case. We can dicker about the “facts” of point 2, but whether you can stop all people from having square icons in rows of 4 with a dock is something that I thought we settled in Lotus v. Borland 15 years ago. I commend Apple for finding a way around basic UI law, but this type of ruling cannot stand.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I agree it is nonsense but

No bezel
Thin bezel
Different colour bezel
Sharper corners
Different colour back
Back not showing an outline around the front
Branding on the front
Home button on the side not the bottom

Again they are not victims they decided to make it look so similar.

Poag

m00?
TBH. When it comes to phones, how something looks shouldn't be patentable. How it works and functions, its features should make a patent. Not border width, icon style. If people are "confused" about the name "Samsung" on the top of the phone being confusable with a silver Apple..they shouldn't be allowed a smartphone.

What next, one keyboard maker suing another keyboard maker for making square keys?

But, this case was always going to end the way it did. Apple could have come into court and shit on the desk and the verdict from the jury would have been the same.

American company vs Asian Company
Americans favorite love company vs Evil Asian interloper

and it was tried in Apples backyard

There was no way this would have ended any other way, I knew, the tech sites knew, hell even the judge knew it and tried to stop it.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Pay them in pennies. Lots of trucks filled with pennies dumped off at the apple headquarters

Job

Don't forget this only applies to the US, ridiculous patent decisions like this are hardly endearing them to the rest of the world, it was thrown out of British courts so we can enjoy all the phones apple are trying to have banned and why can't people just import, the networks are all getting the same tech.

Embattle

FH is my second home
That is mainly because the US patent system has needed major overhaul for some time.

Job

This is the new OJ Simpson trial, where Apple fanbois are black people.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Indeed. Also shown in portrait mode whereas Samsung ask for it to be displayed in landscape as that is the preferred orientation. Tab is also held at a slight angle to try to disguise the aspect ratio difference. They've done similar things before like showing the 3GS as the same size as the Galaxy S in comparison photos when the Galaxy is clearly much bigger. Just slyly misleading.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
All the tablets look the same, how the fuck did Apple manage to claim they had the right to that look, did they want Samsung to write on it 'not an ipad'
not a bad idea tho lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom