Anyone had troubles with the router Netgear rp614 ?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Using one since about 4 months back and its been nothing but trouble - i have 2 comps hooked to it, and then its hooked to my 10mbit sunet lan connection.

Now, the problem is it keeps shutting down all access to the net if it is used for anything other than casuall websurfing, after anything from 10 min to an hour or so. I can still connect from comp to comp using it when it does this, but cant reach the router itself (it has a web interface) or anything on the net. Only way to resolve it is to restart it.

Im thinking it must be faulty, so was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar with their router? Netgears troubleshooting webpage says this problem may occur, but it doesnt say why, or if its supposed to happen 4-5 times a day as it does for me when i use the net heavily (like dling movies etc). It seems pretty crap if this is to be expected :/

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
Heard Netgears were kinda shit months ago in some technical help forums in regards to TOA. LD'ing when using Djinn's etc, there were some new drivers to fix it. Although it was a NIC problem rather than a router. Maybe all Netgears suck :p

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i use a netgear dg814.

Problem with them is they do crap all routing one machine always hogs all the bandwidth no matter how you set them up.

Its fine if your all running DAOC or all running CS but as soon as someone starts a download BANG bye bye bandwidth.

Luckily dad does neither so all bandwidth to me :D (well it should be i pay the damn bill )

Either way not had no problem that a quick restart wont sort.

Deerstalker

Fledgling Freddie
I have a rp614 and have had no problems with it since I started blocking all the popup sites in the "block sites" section of the config. Put the address logging option on and then start blocking the sites as you see something supcious. if you pm me here I'll send you my list to get you going.

DS.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Well it doesnt stop when i websurf etc, almost only when under some more load like when i download somehing etc. And then it just cuts all outside connections including the connnection to itself, and it will do this seemingly at random under those conditions.

Example: i set one of the machines to dl new wow client or whatever during the night. I wake up in the morning and it has cut connection sometime in the night. I restart and resume dl, alil later it stops working again and i have to restart again, then it stops an hour later, restart, stops after 2 hours etc etc.
Its getting really annoying. It hasent really bothered me *that* much until now but ive been downloading some tv series and movies lately, and wow etc, that required the comp to download for a long'ish time, and this isnt possible when the damn router keeps shutting down all the time (having to check it every hour to see if its shut down is getting old, and not possible when not home or sleeping).

Anyway, im guessing its broken so i should probably get another, but just wanted to see if this is a common problem :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom