American to European Servers

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all, Just a quick question,

How come our european servers run quite a bit behind the american ones? in terms of patch version and Expansions?

I just went ot the Herald website and New frontiers has been available to download and install on US clients for ages, whats the deal here?

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
We have to suffer the time taken to patch to French and German, as well as the lads at GOA sifting through 500 floppy disks that Mythic send them each month with half baked patches on them.

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
We have to suffer the time taken to patch to French and German, as well as the lads at GOA sifting through 500 floppy disks that Mythic send them each month with half baked patches on them.

God that sucks :kissit:

Blitzing

Fledgling Freddie
yes, cause just THINK if the german and french people would actually have to read english to play, they would leave all of them, cause they are so self centered that they only know their own language :D so we patch for german and french, and then ofcause goa take breakes of 2-3 days between every work day, so translating will go pretty slow :D

Tazock

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, majority of america doesn't speak french or german either..think more french and german speak english then americans french or german:)

The only self-centerdness is when you assume everything must be in english.
Especially cause only a fraction of the world speaks the language. The most people speak chinese, spanish and from thirth place on you'll see languages like english and french come up and some languages spoken in India.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Tazock said:
hmm, majority of america doesn't speak french or german either..think more french and german speak english then americans french or german:)

The only self-centerdness is when you assume everything must be in english.
Especially cause only a fraction of the world speaks the language. The most people speak chinese, spanish and from thirth place on you'll see languages like english and french come up and some languages spoken in India.
hmm, majority of america doesn't speak English either.

Jpeg[LOD]

Fledgling Freddie
Blitzing said:
yes, cause just THINK if the german and french people would actually have to read english to play, they would leave all of them, cause they are so self centered that they only know their own language :D so we patch for german and french, and then ofcause goa take breakes of 2-3 days between every work day, so translating will go pretty slow :D

and u can speak fluent french and german ?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
kparton said:
How come our european servers run quite a bit behind the american ones?
Dont you understand it takes 2 months to translate these (fairly small) patches? And another month or more to test them: despite the fact that theyve already been heavily tested by Mythic (and on US servers).

Na, virtally noone - except GOA employees - understands why it takes so long either. Expansions I can understand taking a while: theres alot of new content, and alot of translation effort involved. Typical patches add virtually no content, translating the 'new' stuff should take at most a couple of days ;)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
I think I heard Requiel or sombody say once that they arn't actually allowed to alter the code, so what they do is just translation. They've actually got to send those translations off to Mythic for them to be.. umm... coded. (Yeah I think that applys for GOA-Content as well)

Or I could just be talking out of my ass and GOA is run by two really stupid guys who need to look up every other word they translate in the French(or German) <-> English dictionary before trying to type it into their PC using a wrecking ball... actually forget my first comment, that makes much more sense :D

selim_segor

Fledgling Freddie
Blitzing said:

I think it is safe to say not all English people that play this game know French/German either :eek6:

Icebreaker

Fledgling Freddie
Blitzing said:

90% of all Germans are able to speak/write/read fluent English. We learn that in school. I got my Mains on Excalibur. And the only self centered thing i see here is your post. :p

And as someone posted above. Goa doesn't fix bugs themselves i think. They always have to wait until Mythic sends them the Files they need.

punchy

Fledgling Freddie
amagad! germans pretending to be english on english servers! run!!!!!!1

j/k I like germany really :)

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Eroa said:
Nastieness!!
hey, the germans have allready apologised about what hitler did, leave them alone.

As for the snail eating batons, well, phoooey

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
4 german servers 3 French Servers 2 UK Servers. It would be bad business not to cater for the majority of the market no ?

But 6 months+ behind does mean we are playing dated software.

Eroa

Banned
Icebreaker said:
90% of all Germans are able to speak/write/read fluent English. We learn that in school. I got my Mains on Excalibur. And the only self centered thing i see here is your post. :p

French and Germans are mostly idiots, we were gonna make alts on a german server (due to only 2 english etc) When asking thing or getting sends and told em I dont speak german to well i got the answer several time to fuck off(knew engouhg german to understand them beeing rude)and go back to the english servers cause it was a german server, and well.. french are jackasses by default xD (Know this from self experiance beeing in france for some time) And english aint my first language either.

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Eroa said:
And english aint my first language either.

Lol, u sure?? "aint" is pretty brummy to me :p

Arr wait, Birmingham, Dudley, Wolverhampton and the rest of the west midlands dont speak english so your correct in your comment. :D

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
Tazock said:

is english the biggest language worldwide? yes.
is german/french the biggest language worldwide? no.

why should an entire world bend for 2 countries when they could've just play on servers with english text.

think it's useless that it takes 3-4 months to translate patches so we get so way behind, but then again, german+frenchies don't want to play with english text(!) and they have way more players so nothing we can do. sick.irl

Kahland

One of Freddy's beloved
i think germans and french would still play if all servers was in english...

im really happy i dont live in germany, where all TV is synchronised to german speech, that REALLY must suck..

spook

Fledgling Freddie
someone should start adding the populations of the different countries talking the different languages so this thing could get overwith.

And besides, being behind in those patches does give us already tested patches (not to perfection, but damn well better than when they first hit Live servers in the US)

Of course, shame being 6 months behind.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
MaditioN said:

Actually i'm pretty sure the most widley spoken Language is Chinese, closely followed by Spanish, English rates about third if I remember correctly.

It does work both ways though, why should the French and German communities (which as a point of fact are Much larger than the English speaking community) bend to our wills and be forced to play on a server which isn't in their native tounge?

Edit: Found a Clicky - its quite an interesting read actually.

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Lenore said:
afaik spanish is the most popular language worldwide

Wrong. 1. English 2. Mandarin Chinese (spelling) 3. Spanish

Xplo

Banned
I spitted on germany and france irl.. oh and also did my busyness on it :kissit:

Think its best if they just give us the american patch instead of keeping us waiting, but of course then the frogs and the beercans start whining that they are behind on us.

and one of the biggest reason why most of em don't understand shit about english is cause of the voiceovers on TV, instead of subtitles in other languages.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
MaditioN said:

is german/french the biggest language worldwide? no.

why should an entire world bend for 2 countries when they could've just play on servers with english text.

think it's useless that it takes 3-4 months to translate patches so we get so way behind, but then again, german+frenchies don't want to play with english text(!) and they have way more players so nothing we can do. sick.irl

Actually Mandarin is the biggest language in the world, followd by spanish. So JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAxD.

According to http://www.ethnologue.com/ using numbers from 99 (measured in millions):
1. Mandarin 885
2. Spanish 332
3. English 322
4. Bengali 189
5. Hindi 182
6. Portugese 170
7. Russian 170
8. Japanese 125
9. German 98
10. Wu 77

Zorewin

Fledgling Freddie
its true i been to both country's the basterds just arent willing to learn english im not saying you all are idiots since at least some have the decentcy to learn english :p and i dont say mine is perfect since im not english either from the netherlands here but come on how fricking hard can it be thanks to goa i truly hate french and germans if in WOW blizzard will wait for those dicks to ill be playing on the us servers.

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
shanks said:
Actually Mandarin is the biggest language in the world, followd by spanish. So JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAxD.

According to http://www.ethnologue.com/ using numbers from 99 (measured in millions):
1. Mandarin 885
2. Spanish 332
3. English 322
4. Bengali 189
5. Hindi 182
6. Portugese 170
7. Russian 170
8. Japanese 125
9. German 98
10. Wu 77

I wasn't talking about people who speak the language as their native languages.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Remember that it's fairer to count the time from after the last fixes after the US patches, as we get the fixed patch, not the buggy ones that go live. That tends to be less than 6 months.

If the original code was up to scratch and just referenced a translation database which held all the text fields, they'd not have to recompile / rewrite their programs every time. That'd be much simpler and a lot faster. However, much code in the US tends to avoid worrying about stuff like languages and customs because they don't think about other countries requirements. In my experience, anyway.

Personally, I'll take more robust code and far less server downtime over far more, fast patches, but maybe that's just me.

Darzil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom