American to European Servers

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Ok I was wrong, Mandarin Chinese is more commonly spoken than English, but was still right about Spanish!

13:43 <@shanksirl> 1. Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
13:43 <@shanksirl> 2. English (480 million)
13:43 <@shanksirl> 3. Spanish (320 million)

(as non-native language)

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Dreami said:
I wasn't talking about people who speak the language as their native languages.

"Thus, if you add the secondary speaker populations to the primary speaker populations, you get the following (and I believe more accurate) list:
(number of speakers in parentheses)

1. Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
2. English (480 million)
3. Spanish (320 million)
4. Russian (285 million)
5. French (265 million)
6. Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
7. Arabic (221 million)
8. Portuguese (188 million)
9. Bengali (185 million)
10. Japanese (133 million)
11. German (109 million)

Stolen from Archeon's link.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
so rather than distribute the patch fairly to all 3 languages at the same time u want it on the english servers first...
the irony of you calling them arogant

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Chronictank said:
so rather than distribute the patch fairly to all 3 languages at the same time u want it on the english servers first...
the irony of you calling them arogant
Why is this arrogant? To be fair, and technical issues aside, if they want the game translated, isn't it only natural that they would have to wait a little longer while the English-speaking servers (which do not require translation, for obvious reasons) could be patched immediately?

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
A) The delay may actually be on purpose, Mythic sends their patches off to GoA quite late, I think that the record's 2 months. It usually takes 3 weeks. I don't know why, I think that they have two versions of the server software, one is multilingual and one isn't. I don't see why else it would take ~3 weeks to send the patch to GoA.

B) What I would like to know, is, if the above isn't true, why aren't prydwen and excalibur running the US patches? I don't think that there's much to translate, is there?

Vireb

Fledgling Freddie
shanks said:
Actually Mandarin is the biggest language in the world, followd by spanish. So JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAxD.

According to http://www.ethnologue.com/ using numbers from 99 (measured in millions):
1. Mandarin 885
2. Spanish 332
3. English 322
4. Bengali 189
5. Hindi 182
6. Portugese 170
7. Russian 170
8. Japanese 125
9. German 98
10. Wu 77
and as you said those stats are only 5 years out of date................

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, if it'd been designed to work that way, having it work on one language whilst the others are translated would be fine.

However, it's been designed so that the code has to be re-written to support another language - hence more work / testing / etc required. If coders weren't naturally lazy, it'd have been written to support multiple languages from the start.

Why can't I have it translated into English, though <grin>

Darzil

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
Aye, if it'd been designed to work that way, having it work on one language whilst the others are translated would be fine.

However, it's been designed so that the code has to be re-written to support another language - hence more work / testing / etc required. If coders weren't naturally lazy, it'd have been written to support multiple languages from the start.

Why can't I have it translated into English, though <grin>

Darzil

LOL, I think i've started one of the fastest moving threads to date :).

Anyways, I wonder how long its gonna take for catacombs to be released for us, jesus, winter next year I bet.

RoshiaPendard

Fledgling Freddie
According to http://www.ethnologue.com/ using numbers from 99 (measured in millions):
1. Mandarin 885
2. Spanish 332
3. English 322
4. Bengali 189
5. Hindi 182
6. Portugese 170
7. Russian 170
8. Japanese 125
9. German 98
10. Wu 77

Funny how France isn't even on this list

and as you said those stats are only 5 years out of date................

So the German population grew with 224 millions in 5 yrs? And the French even more? I understand now! This is why GOA translate! j/k

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
I demand a Greek Server ASAP :touch:

You have internet over there? pfft.

Next time I goto Zakinthos, i'll take me DAOC disks :p

Franya

Loyal Freddie
There is a quite simple solution... Shut down Excalibur, Prydwen and Camlann and set them to the languages with the most customers. That would be German and/or French.

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Franya said:
There is a quite simple solution... Shut down Excalibur, Prydwen and Camlann and set them to the languages with the most customers. That would be German and/or French.

Absolutly Outragous!

Dark Age of Camelot was made by a English speaking people who work for an American Company, GOA were given the task of running the "European" side of this game.

What really pisses me off is that the Test server for europe is in fecking French, wtf is that about?

DAOC is not a French Game, Nor is it a German Game, its an American Game and with it comes English.

Jenkz

Fledgling Freddie
Tazock said:
The only self-centerdness is when you assume everything must be in english. Especially cause only a fraction of the world speaks the language. The most people speak chinese, spanish and from thirth place on you'll see languages like english and french come up and some languages spoken in India.

Incorrect, in so many ways.

Chineese is by far the most spoken language in the world, this is simply a matter of population.

Hindi, Spanish, English all are about equal primary spoken languages, with spanish and english being more widespread (cross continental).

The main point here, though, is english (and/or american english) is:

a) Spoken in over 3 times more countries than any other language
b) The second most popular "second language", making it the 2nd language total in the world, behind chineese
c) Is the major language of science

If you consider chineese is spoken, well basically, in china and china only, and how detatched china is from the rest of the world, it is clearly not as influential as english. French and german today, unfortunatly, do not rank anywhere near english in number of total speakers (primary and secondary), number of countries or applications.

English: 480m in 115countries
French: 265m in 35countries
German: 109m in 9countries

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

(Edit: zzz read rest of thread and you've said this already)

Clipse

Fledgling Freddie
Excuse my French, but who gives a **%* about Mandarin when talking about DAOC in Europe lol. Try and keep a perspective on things.

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Clipse said:
Excuse my French, but who gives a **%* about Mandarin when talking about DAOC in Europe lol. Try and keep a perspective on things.

Too right, Most of europe speaks english aswell as their native tongue. I say bollock off 4 of the german servers, 3 of the french, let them have 1 each, and put up 4 more English servers for all to use.

furthermore on the translation thing, I was under the impression that translating from English to German is alot harder than converting to french. is this true?

oh, and while we're at it, make the test server English :p

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Icebreaker said:
90% of all Germans are able to speak/write/read fluent English. We learn that in school.
such lies ... there's a BIG difference between fluent english and german/austrian school-english ... I experienced the difference when I moved over to England 4 years ago ... :m00:

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
This is how patching and testing works.
Mythic finish a patch and it goes live on their servers. They watch it for a few days in case there are crippling bugs that didn't get spotted in testing. They then send us the final version (including the fixes for any crippling bugs that got through). We translate it for four different server types (English, French, German and Camlann). The English and Camlann 'translations' aren't language translations but technical ones as the international version of DAoC is different to the US version operated by Mythic. We test the various versions and if we find problems we refer them back to Mythic for fixing. We then test the fixed version and rinse and repeat until we get a version that works properly in all four versions. Then it goes live on our servers.
The time between getting the patch delivered to us and getting it live on our servers is therefore dependant on many things - the amount of translation reqired (language and code), the numbr of problems found and the speed that Mythic can resolve them.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Givf a Greek server, and I'll guarantee you stability in DAoC. The next translation will go on forever, hence no other patch will ever get live :drink:

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
The time between getting the patch delivered to us and getting it live on our servers is therefore dependant on many things - the amount of translation reqired (language and code), the numbr of problems found and the speed that Mythic can resolve them.

Thanks for replying Requiel,

Once the codings and what not are fixed and sorted, why do the English have to wait for the German & French translations to be done before it gets pushed to the servers?

Can't you complete the testing in english and then once completed, do the lanuage translation? having to translate after every received amendment from Mythic must be very time consuming?

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
kparton said:
Thanks for replying Requiel,

Once the codings and what not are fixed and sorted, why do the English have to wait for the German & French translations to be done before it gets pushed to the servers?

Can't you complete the testing in english and then once completed, do the lanuage translation? having to translate after every received amendment from Mythic must be very time consuming?

Because most of the time is occupied by requesting fixes from Mythic.
I just realized, even if they'd run Mythic's server software from the US servers on pryd/exc, then they'd need to revise the whole patching system. There's currently a One Server to Patch Them All model.. you can't go about asking new english speaking customers to update their update.dat and login.dat because their server is running a different version.

Blame Mythic imo.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
After many years of DAOC'ing - im actualy pretty happy we are one or two patches behind the USA now, its clear archers are going to be usefull and fun to play in NF, and we are able to level one before the patch hits.

Corran

Part of the furniture
considering GoA werent going to bother about english servers in the first place why is anyone surprised they dont care about patching english before the rest?
Also it is a french based company, so why would they give english players more then their own country? they dont advertise the game here, their focus is in germany/france and as such they will always be the ones they think about first. They dont really care about the english, the level of players on the english servers is much lower then the others as well and as such will deem that they dont deserve precidence over the others.

If you got a problem with not keeping up with patches with america you got a simple solution. Go play on american servers, they are in English(american) just like our servers so that your problem sorted.

Vireb

Fledgling Freddie
RoshiaPendard said:
So the German population grew with 224 millions in 5 yrs? And the French even more? I understand now! This is why GOA translate! j/k
no but education systems changing , people actually learning languages through access to different technologies eg third world countries may not of had means to learn languages other than word of mouth and being taught 1on1 internet changes that and in 5 years 1999 >2004 they couldve gained those technologies. , 5 years is a lot these days in any stat

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Corran said:
considering GoA werent going to bother about english servers in the first place why is anyone surprised they dont care about patching english before the rest?
Also it is a french based company, so why would they give english players more then their own country? they dont advertise the game here, their focus is in germany/france and as such they will always be the ones they think about first. They dont really care about the english, the level of players on the english servers is much lower then the others as well and as such will deem that they dont deserve precidence over the others.

If you got a problem with not keeping up with patches with america you got a simple solution. Go play on american servers, they are in English(american) just like our servers so that your problem sorted.

erm, Goa is a french company, DAOC is Mythics game, they are not french.

And your comment is just proving my point about how messed up the European arm of DAOC is.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
If they gave me a /charc copy over to the american servers i'd be there in a flash, I'd be even willing to pay for the transfer.

kparton

Fledgling Freddie
Skaven said:
If they gave me a /charc copy over to the american servers i'd be there in a flash, I'd be even willing to pay for the transfer.

your not the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom