A Strange Send I Got .. Anyone Know What It Is?

K

Keri

Headed out of the PK in Odin's last night, and a lone lowish lvl character asked to join our group. We replied that the group was full (guess he couldn't count to 8). I thought it was strange that he was there alone. We saw him again in Jamtland. Not sure if he went as far as Yggdra. After an untimely death, the group released, and most went to get some sleep. I decided to find out more about this mystery guy. He was anon, but I messaged him, and asked where he was (thought I might warn him about the crowd of Mids we saw). No reply to about 3 messages. Then I said to him "Aha! I guess you are a spy after all" (we wondered if he was). He denied it .. didn't seem to want to talk ... then I received the following send from him:

**** sends "send#[dec.4423377135462ff.on.tec (333651.223f) ''~inc55,dec34133.d23f] -value="243145f"

That is the send, exactly as I received it (apart from me replacing the sender's name with ****).

Does anyone have any idea what all this is? Obviously it was sent to me in error. I asked him what it all was, and got a very quick reply of "nothing". Very soon after that, he logged off. I did take a screenie of the message though. I'm intrigued, and would love to know what it's all about. So, if you have any idea, please let me know.

Z

zilch

Very strange

I have no idea but it sure sounds like a hacker or somthing...prehaps you should report it.

lvl 40 Bard

O

old.Veritreus

Try taking falling damage then zoning...

It changed the message to something like:

You were hit for 9332987374famage

Possibly something similar.

F

Flimgoblin

Looks like something scripted - send a particular thing to that character and get back info on what it's doing etc, what it can see...

Very dubious.

F

fatgit

Often get these type of message when zoning, nothing to worry about :)

could always be someone taking the piss :)

S

SFXman

Hmm, interesting. Please report this using RightNow as there is always a slight chance it is a hack of some sort.

F

Flimgoblin

heh the reply of 'nothing' rather than 'it happens when you zone' or 'I dunno? that's weird never seen that before' sounds far more dubious to me :)

Rightnow it - might be someone with a spy-script screwing over your realm. Or it might be nowt...

M

matax

We didn't have a send like that, but a group of 8 of us were in the Spraggon Den (on Hibernia levels 20-25 dungeon for those that don't know) and this gray con to me (i'm level 19) character with no armour just waltzed past us and strolled off deeper into the dungeon - which is full of aggros that were red/purple con to me. They walked back to us whilst we were fighting some mobs and said "Have you heard of xxxx" (can't remember the name of the person they said), then said "Oops you busy" and wandered off again.

I wondered if this was a GM/event thing and we missed out becuase we were busy fighting - could it be that you experienced something similar ?

K

Keri

Thank you for your responses. I think I will send this to RightNow. Two possibilities that occurred to me are that he was either a spy/hacker, or he was a member of GOA staff. The last message I got from the guy was "gl hf" which I interpreted as meaning "good luck, have fun", although I could be wrong.

Fingoniel - I also thought his speedy reply of "nothing" was a little suspicious.

K

Keri

Then why did the guy quickly reply with "nothing" when I asked him what it was? The (very) few other replies I got from him were very slow.

K

Keri

Dammit!! I forgot about the martians. That must be what it was.:p

O

old.Ayeye

Two possibilities that occurred to me are that he was either a
spy/hacker, or he was a member of GOA staff.

The second choice is impossible.
They are all busy working on patch translation!

O

old.Veritreus

I reckon it was a stray piece of cosmic radiation causing the vision centres of your brain to read it wrong... what it actually said was:

"The martians have taken control of my mind, please help!"

O

old.tRoG

Originally posted by Ayeye

*cough cough*

;)

A

Ardwan

A lot of it looks like hexadecimal to me...and if I was bored I would actually bother to try finding out what it actually means..but I ain't that bored yet...maybe another day when i'm at college in lesson ;)

O

old.Godspeed:D

might go in a html form page, the whole 'send#[blaha]-value=34124f" looks like html, not sure why someone would send you html though. thats if it is.

*shrug*

S

SFXman

Originally posted by Ayeye
Not really, one day a L100 fighter was Albion/Prydwen, with the DEV or was it [DEV] at the end of his name. GOA personnel naturally and I asked him "What are you doing" by /send and I got a message back in yellow saying "Just testing" :)
Occasionally Kemor does come in-game you know, and he's been elsewhere like IRC :p

A

Ardwan

You shoulda dared him to go to emain and kill some middies...you know, tell him that he would get killed, and that he is too weak to kill them ;)

O

old.Azmodai

i somehow think its a gm... very possible... and you did say that it happened late at night., so its a realistic possibility.

Z

zilch

If you send it of to Right Now do they tell you the answer? Or do they just say thx and good bye!

K

Keri

I sent it to RightNow early Friday morning, and got the standard reply of "Your question has been received. You should expect a response from us within 24 hours." on Friday at 9:30am GMT. Heard nothing since.

O

old.Veritreus

That's working days... they forget to mention that :)

They don't work weekends afaik

F

Flimgoblin

If they do have people working weekends it'll be a skeleton staff... (i.e. only the really high priority stuff) rather than the full lot.

O

old.Nacholay

Actually, I have seen screenshots of ppl turning into WEREWOLFS within HIBERNIA!!! I RL friend had a run in with something that was clearly a GM controlled char (on Stonehenge server) who was out on vengence trip for all those poor mobs my mate had hunted in his 30ish levels :D . So they are out there at times. Not to mention the event we had a few days ago (2 weeks now)...

K

Keri

Originally posted by Veritreus
That's working days... they forget to mention that :)

They don't work weekends afaik

Yes, I do realise that.

C

cAScADe

If it is HTML or somthin its probly somthing from his clip board that he pasted in by mistake. that would be why he said it was 'nothing' cos it realy was nothing...

although i would have said oops or somthin right after not every one CBA

K

Keri

Update:

I received a reply from RightNow, asking me for the exact time and date (although I would have thought that info would have been on the screenshot I attached :rolleyes: ). The e-mail they sent included the following:

"You may also update this question by replying to this message. Because your reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your reply in the space below. Text entered into any other part of this message will be discarded.
[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]

[===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]"

So, I hit my reply button, entered the time and date between those two lines, and hit send. Fifteen minutes later, my e-mail bounced back as an attachment to the following message:

"This is the Postfix program at host mailer2.wanadooportails.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the message returned below.

The Postfix program

<support@mailer2.wanadooportails.com>: unknown user: "support""

:rolleyes: :( :eek:

When will they ever fix their customer support so that it actually works"?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread