Politics 2024/25 General Election Voting Intention (2022)

Who do you currently intend to vote for in the next UK general election?

• Conservatives

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • SNP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lib Dems

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • DUP

• Sinn Fein

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Plaid Cymru

• SDLP

• Green

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Do you need to personally be offended by something to recognise that it's offensive? The people who agree with him either don't realise it's offensive or know full well it is and just don't care. If you hear someone refer to someone else as a "fucking paki" are you going to think "I'm not personally offended by that so it can't be offensive"?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
lol the Reform idiots are now saying this guy is an actor, and that it's all a paid propaganda piece. They're really so stupid as to believe that C4 News would be.....so stupid. What next, Lawrence Fox is a paid actor and it's all a setup?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Do you need to personally be offended by something to recognise that it's offensive? The people who agree with him either don't realise it's offensive or know full well it is and just don't care. If you hear someone refer to someone else as a "fucking paki" are you going to think "I'm not personally offended by that so it can't be offensive"?
"Offensive" is a subjective term. It has no place in objective, neutral reporting.

But to answer you directly, and to fully explain why it shouldn't ever be used in reporting (certainly if you're supposed to be a "neutral" news organisation):

60 years ago a minority of people would find someone calling someone a poofter (or a nigger even) offensive. It's absolutely something that poofs or niggers would find offensive, but if the majority of people neither find it offensive, and may actually think that because poofs and niggers are poofs and niggers they are "offensive" - what's actually offensive? In this very real case the very existence of poofs and niggers is the thing that causes offence to the majority.

In 1975 only 20% of black people could get a job. That's not because white people loved them. The idea of having a black person working with you was offensive enough that black people couldn't get work. Who's offended there?

What offends people is A subjective; B changes over time and, importantly; C confers no "moral correctness".

Just because some people may be offended by a thing, doesn't mean that that thing is right.

Calling something "offensive" is not just a demonstration of intellectual paucity, it's dangerous - because it helps create a narrative which develops a "herecy" - a herecy you can't afford to be the wrong side of. And as I've demonstrated, this herecy comes with no guarantee of moral correctness.

It was heretical to be gay in the 1960s (and much of the last 2000 years). We prosecuted and chemically castrated these poofters because their actions - their very existence - was so fucking offensive to the majority (or worse, to the church or a government) that we maintained centuries-long criminal oppression of these people. Because: offence.

"Offensive" should only be used by individuals to describe what they feel about a subject, not a word imposed on a country to tell them how they are supposed to feel. The word offensive should never be used by media organisations that are supposed to be "neutral" - because the word 'offensive' can help create dangerous narratives in a moral vaccum.

I'm offended by their use of the word offence. Because I can think.

Does that offend you? :)

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
BBCQT

"How are we going to get China and India to reduce their emissions?" to the green party dude.

Bet he wanted to say "Fuck off. We don't control them"

It's like "How are you going to stop what's going on in the middle east?" - We're not. Literally nothing we do matters.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ignoring the fact that China are a world leader in renewable technologies. And that their electric cars may very well dominate world markets in the next few years.

But what people like that are actually saying is, "my neighbour's yard is awful, with dog shit everywhere and half a dozen rusty trampolines. Why should I keep my yard clean?" It's stupid.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Ignoring the fact that China are a world leader in renewable technologies.
Arguably the main reason for that is geopolitical rather than some huge push to be green. What China is really after is energy independence from the rest of the world. It's a focus and investment in that which has also pushed them to research heavily in fusion power, and they are possible the leaders in that technology too atm.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Arguably the main reason for that is geopolitical rather than some huge push to be green. What China is really after is energy independence from the rest of the world. It's a focus and investment in that which has also pushed them to research heavily in fusion power, and they are possible the leaders in that technology too atm.
meh, that doesn't really matter. More renewable manufacturers = lower prices = greater takeup = healthier planet. Panel prices in the UK in the last 10 years have dropped to about 1/3 what they were. The same will happen with battery storage - EVs are about the same price as ICE cars now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom