2016 GPUs 1070/1080 and 480/490

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Do you still get the ghosting weirdness with the single GPU in WOT?

noticed it heavily just now in some games of WOT. I notice it most when the markers of another tank are moving diagonally across the screen, generally bottom right to top left. really, really blurry. this is text, mind. the tanks themselves look just fine to me.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not sure if any of our 1080 owners have the EVGA FTW card but... have a fire extinguisher handy if you do.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I got sick of my 4yr old SLI setup not being able to play recent releases and couldn't wait a few more months for the 1080Ti release so just ordered a 1080. Went for a 1080 EVGA FTW in the end as I've never has issues with EVGA ...

Not sure if any of our 1080 owners have the EVGA FTW card but... have a fire extinguisher handy if you do.

Oh ffs ... :eek:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Cheap and cheerful, few surprises.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well, either way, I will be waiting to see what AMD manage...I'm an optimist.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
When were AMD meant to be unveiling their new CPU's? curious what they're going to run as.. also looking for a new radiator for my home.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
When were AMD meant to be unveiling their new CPU's? curious what they're going to run as.. also looking for a new radiator for my home.

Q1 2017. They are producing less heat than intel equivalents. Allegedly.
Wait for 3rd party benchmarks imo.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'll wait, I made that mistake with the 480's, they ran VERY hot despite AMD's claims.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Intel will be using radeon licensed tech for their new integrated cards, means that despite outwards appearances the GPU market is back to just two players on all levels

And that AMD might be on to something with their newer cards

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Radeon VEGA – Make. Some. Noise.

AMD's share price hasn't been higher since 2006 (iirc), they had a very good 2016 by concentrating their efforts on areas other than high-end GPUs. Let's hope Vega delivers and they regain some ground at the high-end as well.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Well - they provide the apu for both xb1 and ps4, as well as replacing the existing intel integrated gpus ( not sure if they were intel inhouse or nvidia ).

The 480 has been selling like hotcakes as well.
Hopefully Zen provides intel like IPC for a lower price and vega is a decent high end card.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Helped by the mining community who have been buying the 470/480 by the truckload.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Would rather have it early but ok :) Also, my 980ti is the first Nvidia card I have had in a long time, always had AMD since the 9800pro

Actually, not all that bothered, this gen hasn't really worth investing in for me. Not good enough for reliable 4k, overkill for 2k.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'm looking at building a new PC, which AMD card is the equivalent of the Nvidia 1070? And why are AMD cards so much cheaper?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They are cheaper because the just aren't as good, simply enough. They have a place and are perfectly fine for 1080 gaming though.

TdC

Would rather have it early but ok :) Also, my 980ti is the first Nvidia card I have had in a long time, always had AMD since the 9800pro

Actually, not all that bothered, this gen hasn't really worth investing in for me. Not good enough for reliable 4k, overkill for 2k.

tbh as one who has a 1080 and a 4K screen, I'd go out on a limb and say it depends what games you play. atm I'm playing The Division with all the bells and whistles on at ~45FPS and it's perfectly doable. Note I'm doing PVE. Before this I played DOOM with everything on max at a solid 60FPS. I don't think the ID tech engine is any better or worse than Snowdrop, but to be fair the latter does have a tremendous amount of stuff to do given all the fog, snow and destructible objects it has to deal with. In the case of The Division, all that volumetric stuff is a main component of the game as you're traipsing around in it 99% of the time, and that eye-candy is generally hard on the GPU.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think a lot of it comes down to lazy ports, DOOM is an exceptional engine and I just wish everyone worked as hard on their optimisation.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm looking at building a new PC, which AMD card is the equivalent of the Nvidia 1070? And why are AMD cards so much cheaper?

The Fury X is about there performance wise, simply put the high end amd offerings are not out this cycle. The 480 is the fastest card they have on the newest architecture, and it does beat the 1060.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I think a lot of it comes down to lazy ports, DOOM is an exceptional engine and I just wish everyone worked as hard on their optimisation.

The id engines have always been awesome performance wise.

TdC

I'm looking purely at the visuals. I think they're both stunning really. To be fair I did run DOOM in OpenGL, and I am running The Division in DX12. There is a difference there. I wonder what the performance would be if I ran it in DX11...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I decided to get a nvidia 1080. All I need now is a monitor to make the most of it!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I find plugging the PC into a screen helps no end ;)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
TDC put me off a monitor I was going to get. Will now wait for the best 4k+ monitor of 2017

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom