XP Product Activation...

D

danger

Hmmmmmm llame llame llame..... it's so fucking llame!

Anyway... after shelling out for an "expensive" copy (XP Pro upgrade edition) I'm still using my XP pro "cheap" copy...anyway I was wandering... what information do the whores at M$ take from your computer when they "activate" your copy ? I really morally object to them taking my details...

Also I want to run XP on my other machine does anyone know if there's a cheaper way of purchasing a second upgrade license rather than shelling out for another "off the shelf" upgrade.... I was gonna just install it on the other machine as well, but hey, that'd make me a criminal right... grrrrrr...

/me's wallet hurts

/ed lol in my po'd state I forgot to say pwease :D

M

Miles_Binck

Originally posted by ^Danger
what information do the whores at M$ take from your computer when they "activate" your copy?
MS usually polls your System Info (all your hardware)

normally after x* amount of Hardware changes the classic MS activation screen will appear asking for your copy of Windows to be reactivated, thats when you will normally plead with some MS goon on the end of the phone begging for a new activation code.

Originally posted by ^Danger
I really morally object to them taking my details...
there are other "ways" around that ;)

*the amount of hardware changes can (and normally does) differ. Some people have to re-activate after 1 hardware change (additional RAM added, or a new Hard Disk) whereas others have changed several pieces of Hardware and still have not had to re-activate their copy of XP

D

danger

Re: Re: XP Product Activation...

Originally posted by Miles_Binck

thats when you will normally plead with some MS goon on the end of the phone begging for a new activation code.

You mean that's when I shout at some MS goon on the end of the phone and demand a new activation code :D

S

]SK[

Just say youve moved it onto another system and took it off the other one. Ive rang up before, they are just doing their job and really cba to argue, they will give u a key if u say yes its a dodgy copy handed round 30 people. :)

D

danger

will that work even if I don't take it off the old system?

i.e. I want this to be semi legit... my current state of 2 cheap copies on 2 machines i'm not too thrilled with... however I object to paying microsoft twice for one product... nor do I have the funds to do so.

S

]SK[

Like I said ring and get an activation key, they really wont argue. Trust me I know :)

D

danger

are you sure your not bill gates in disguise trying to tempt me to the dark side so you can lock me away ?

hehe lol...... cheers ok will do!

J

jamiekd69

win XP

i wanna put xp on another machine myself but i wos worried about the acitvation thingy aswell.

so did phonin ms up and gettin a second activation code work so that i may do it aswell?

S

]SK[

It only happened to us when it was installed on like 4 machines.

D

danger

didn't have ne probs, sept i activated the first one online.... don't have any activation code for it and won't be able to install it on that machine again :(

oh well i've just duel booted that machine with redhat...... removes any real need to have that tirdy M$ OS on it..... :)

Users who are viewing this thread