[XP] Folder Synchronization

X

xane

Anyone know a nice and cheap (read: free) way of keeping two folders in synchronization using the scheduler.

What I have is a folder full of documents and digicam pictures, which I'd like to keep safe by copying once to the other HDD and twice to a remote HDD on a "server" machine (which is actually running FreeBSD and using Samba to allow access to its disks).

I enabled "My Briefcase" back again last night, its great but (a) it wont work on a networked non-Windows machine and (b) I can't find a way of automating it for the scheduler.

I've also used a product called SynchronEX which is also very nice but the free version doesn't allow one-way synchronzation, so you get problems when you change or delete files in the original directory.

So, any clues how to get this to work ?

S

(Shovel)

If all you want is a backup, you could script it using a batch file.

if you run:
Code:
xcopy /D /E /Q /C /Y [source dir] [destination]

It will copy every file in the source to the destination. /D means that only newer files will be written, /E includes sub directoris, /Q disables verbose output, /C carries on after errors and /Y supresses prompting to overwrite files.

Stick that in a batch file for each destination of your backup.

It should work over a network drive, but if it has issues with \\ locating, which I don't think it does, then you could always add some drive letter mapping/unmapping to the batch file. I'll mock one up if you like, though if memory serves correct you're already pretty knowledgable on things like this :)

Hope that works.

Ben

EDIT: That wont remove any files from the server that you delete locally. I have a feeling that that can be scripted as well, but I'd need to research that a bit. Really busy this weekend, so hopefulyl someone else knows, but if I get a proper chance I'll see what I can dig up if you want that functionality as well. :D

Users who are viewing this thread