Xbox One Announcement

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Interesting. I wonder if I can return things to eBay now if I thought they were something else.

"I bought this hammer, I thought it was a PS4. Refund please"
As long as you get press interest then it seems so

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Protip: If you buy an Xbox One from eBay, make sure it's actually an Xbox One you're buying.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Warni...0-photo-Xbox/story-20263203-detail/story.html

I cannot believe anyone would fall for that - they did the same shit years ago when PS3 and 360 came out on ebay. People were selling the empty boxes at full price. Because the wording specifically said box their was fuck all they could do about it. Gullible people deserve to loose their money.

I cancelled my overpriced xbone from Amazon shop as my wife walked in to Tesco in Yeovil and bought one, they had 5 sitting on the shelf.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
What's the betting there is an Xbone 1.5 in 6 months time with full 1080p at 60 FPS capability.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
When the numbers come out I think PS4 will have boned the X-bone 180. Tried to get a PS4 over the weekend and nobody had even a sniff of one. Plenty of X-bone 180s about though.

Might try on line but not sure I like my chances of getting one before Xmas.

Tilda

The thing is, I'm not sure I really understand why the PS4 is better?
What appeals to me is having Sky going through Xbox, so its all voice/kinect controlled.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What appeals to me is having Sky going through Xbox, so its all voice/kinect controlled.
IMHO its been designed from the ground up to be gamer friendly. In power terms it's all much of a muchness as we'll see who squeezes the most out of each console over time. Personally I'm not comfortable with Kinect anymore. It was a gimmick, now its just creepy.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think the PS4 is a little bit more powerful (not a massive amount!) which is telling in the release line up, X-Bone having a bunch of 720res games and PS4 1080res, though I heard PS4 chugged a bit with Battlefield at 1080 initially, no idea if that is still the case so could we be down to shitty coding...knowing EA that is probably the case.

For me the X-bone is concentrating on non-gaming far too much. It is supposed to be a thing to play games on, not multi task...its almost trying to be a non upgradable, advert infested, restricted PC, it just seems so unnecessary as a thing. You are paying a semi-gaming PC price for a budget PC.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
The Xbox One is more ambitious, thinking beyond being a mere game station. Given time and development it could become a real entertainment hub. The PS4 is just more of the same from the previous generation, appeals to people who just want more of the same. Zzzzz.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
IMHO its been designed from the ground up to be gamer friendly. In power terms it's all much of a muchness as we'll see who squeezes the most out of each console over time. Personally I'm not comfortable with Kinect anymore. It was a gimmick, now its just creepy.

Its been designed around a simple fast PC x86 architecture hardly great innovation - just standard platform imo. They put the graphics and processor in one package and added GDDR5 memory for speed. At least they learnt the lessons from the PS3 where the power was not really unlocked.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
The Xbox One is more ambitious, thinking beyond being a mere game station. Given time and development it could become a real entertainment hub. The PS4 is just more of the same from the previous generation, appeals to people who just want more of the same. Zzzzz.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that what the PS3 done over the Xbox 360?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The other backed the wrong horse and went HD-DVD. They both tried to be all singing all dancing and one fell flat on its face.

8 years ago a lot of people bought the PS3 as a media centre/blue ray player and didn't even bother with games for it. At the time it was the most affordable solution. I only bought 4 games for my PS3 in 6 years of ownership. Gran Turismo 5, Final fantasy something or other, GTA5 and Gran Turismo 6.

Nobody is going going to drop £450 on a media centre these days, unless they have more money than sense. There are far more cheaper options about for a media centre and a lot of new TVs do what the X-bone 180 does anyway, voice activation nonsense, TV tuner etc.

So we are down to the machine being able to, you know, play games.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Idd the voice control and smart pip stuff should be handled by the tv so it can take any input device, not by a random device you can only pipe one source through.
Anyone who buys a newish smart tv will have the best of both worlds.

PS4 has a lot more gpu grunt, than the xb1. Launch titles were there to hit targets, you'll see a lot more visual quality on ps4 titles in 6-12 months than you will on xb1.
For less money why wouldn't you buy the more powerful system?

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
its all subjective isnt it? its like arguing about mobile phones with apple and samsung. we all have different preferences. its turning into a bit of an epeen war on this subject as i knew it would.

it doesnt matter which is better what matters is if you like the console you have ive got 4 games for my xbox they all look stunning and are lag free what more could i ask for? i also have a family and with kinect i can have something else to do on a weekend with the kids the xbox one is the right choice for me. go back 5 years when i was single and it would have been a ps4 all the way.

just because the ps4 is more powerful doenst mean its the only option people should consider.

both consoles are good at what they do theres little point arguing which one is better.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They have all the users they are likely to get now, may as well wring them dry :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
i wouldnt buy a digital copy of a console game anyway. thats just stupid theres no resale or trade in value and your paying the same or more for the product i just cant see the justification for it tbh

leggy

Probably Scottish

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't get it on either system really, surely they would at least price them competitively. I know Steam/Origin is usually a few quid more than the high street but £10-15 is ridiculous.

I would much rather just download a game than have to use physical media but I draw the line at those prices.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, I'm all for a steambox (PC) now as I'd missed that PS+ subscription is required for PS4

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
PS+ was a must for PS3 imo, an absolute bargain, nothing like Xbox Gold. I assume it is similar on the PS4. I got it on a discount (£20 for the year iirc) and got well over £100 worth of games.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have only just started using PS+ in the last few months, absolute steal with the "free" games on there. If it is anything like that on the PS4 it's a must.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have only just started using PS+ in the last few months, absolute steal with the "free" games on there. If it is anything like that on the PS4 it's a must.
That's the rub, it was simply great value on PS3, now it's a requirement, it would be a no brainer for me if it had just stayed great value :(

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
awry33D_460s.jpg

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not even that small. I've been looking at SFF PCs on chillblast and they look better.
Indeed, it was never going to be small because of the graphics card inside it. Very tempted to put Steam OS on a spare HDD in my main rig and see how it performs (given my rig is now completely out of date by most standards).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
If Gabe and the Valve crew are sly they'll try and push for better tech specs than the Xbox One and PS4 while keeping the price simple, if they manage that they'll make a fucking killing not to mention the revenue they will generate from Steam once it has X,XXX,XXX new users.

I don't think by any means they're stupid and I would imagine that is what they'll be aiming for... here's to hoping, it'll be nice to see a new 'console' in the wars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom