www.barrysworld.com

G

aha, i remember now, thats the bit of paper deebs made me sign saying i had no rights over the domain and send it to game HQ, deebs and someone else bought it and obviously gave it to game, as it ws most likely part of the original deal they had with electronics boutique when they took over BW.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I thought GAME were going to give BW domain but then realised they didn't actualy own it and that the mediamonks hacker did.. and then you bought it back for us no?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm only interested cos I wanna see the original BW forums archive. For a laugh.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
I'm only interested cos I wanna see the original BW forums archive. For a laugh.

Deebs and I have discussed it. Bottom line is we will need GAME's permission to do it, and they would probably have to get it proof read to make sure there's nothing libellous, which would cost them money, so it probably won't happen. Blame that arsehole who sued Pipex and won.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Bah.

*uses voodoo to make GAME go bust so we can see the archives*

G

"So, here we are, 3 closure scares later, 8 or 9 years on, and we are starting again. GAME have kindly offered us the use of the BarrysWorld name, but we've decided to start again. Clean sweep kind of thing"

so you could have used the domain after i signed away any rights to it (deebs actually owns it now) but he probably gave it to Game (where he works), everythings possible i suppose, im sure we could get the old forums back AND i want my old @barrysworld.com email address back, i think the data is all still sitting on a server somewhere deebs/gaffer??????

but dont rock the boat or you may end up out of a job etc etc principles out the window

DaGaffer

Read what I posted above. So long is it would cost GAME money to open up the archive its probably not going to happen. There's no moral principle at stake here, its just cost.

And Deebs doesn't own the domain. It was always GAME's property, the hoops you, me and Deebs went through were always going to result in GAME getting it back. Deebs and I got it back through you in the hope that GAME would let us use it (and because after what happened we couldn't let him use it for pr0n or something), but there were never any guarantees. As you said, there's always hope, but don't hold your breath.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'd like to hear Deebs or Ted's POV on this tbh. Everything else is just speculation.

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
It went back to game for involved reasons I'm quite happy with, as is Deebs. Thanks to Brooky for getting it done and everything and its history now.

Well, except for one minor thing I want to tweak Gaffers nipples over:

DaGaffer said:
.....It was always GAME's property...

If it was we wouldnt have had to buy it back again. At one moral level you're correct, but at a more practical level you're not. Caught out on a technicality, but an important one.

Anyway, its back with GAME now, time to move on.

Additionally whilst I'd like to see some of the old BW forum threads again, I agree with DaGaffer on this one, its horrificially complicated and tedious to do (and therefore expensive), through no fault of anyone involved, so its time to dismiss that idea from our minds. Shame, but again, time to leave that one behind us too.

Can I go back to WoW now? :)

TedTheDog

Fred's & Barry's co-founder
dysfunction said:
No!! You should never be allowed back to WoW. Come play CSS instead!!

Much as I loved cs and css I cant bring myself to do it. Its not wow. wow is life.
Sad fucking weasel that makes me I know, but there you have it.

Oh, and Brooky, trust me, you dont want your bw.com email address back, its completely awash with spam. The domain got used by spammers as a dummy reply-to domain for a long time and all email addresses within the domain are blacklisted back to the stoneage and get shitloads of undeliverable mail and shit.
Well, did last time I looked some time ago. It was over a year ago I last looked, but I was getting 100+ junk mails a day.

Oh, and that reminds me, I still have one of the original BW goody bags for you Brooky. Although my garage got trashed twice by kids, they missed one. You wouldnt like 200 mouldy t-shirts too would you? I'm sure I could persuade the mice to move their nests given enough firepower.
The only barrier between you and the bag is my lack of ability to motivate myself to goto the post office and stand in line to mail it. You dont work in London do you? ;)

G

TedTheDog said:
Oh, and that reminds me, I still have one of the original BW goody bags for you Brooky. Although my garage got trashed twice by kids, they missed one. You wouldnt like 200 mouldy t-shirts too would you? I'm sure I could persuade the mice to move their nests given enough firepower.
The only barrier between you and the bag is my lack of ability to motivate myself to goto the post office and stand in line to mail it. You dont work in London do you? ;)

i have pm'd you my home address

now get in line at that post office sir.

mank!

Part of the furniture
if anyone on here ever wins the lottery, would it be possible for them to buy back the domain?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
mank said:
if anyone on here ever wins the lottery, would it be possible for them to buy back the domain?

If I win the lottery I will buy it back, then host the first annual FreddysHouse Festival with free bar and all you can eat buffet :p

DaGaffer

TedTheDog said:
If it was we wouldnt have had to buy it back again. At one moral level you're correct, but at a more practical level you're not. Caught out on a technicality, but an important one.

Bah. You know what I meant :) And yes it does indeed "tweak my nipples" to have had to buy back stolen goods for peace of mind. (and if anyone would care to contest that, I'll see you in a real court if you like).

mank!

Part of the furniture
Chilly said:
mank you blind fuck, try reading what everyone has said.

i can't help being addicted to wanking

what i meant was is money the only real obstacle or would the other problems (i.e. game's reluctance, libel, etc) be impossible to overcome?

so basically, if money was no object it'd be possible, right?

DaGaffer

mank said:
i can't help being addicted to wanking

what i meant was is money the only real obstacle or would the other problems (i.e. game's reluctance, libel, etc) be impossible to overcome?

so basically, if money was no object it'd be possible, right?

I think its safe to say, yes, if money was no object, and someone was prepared to take legal responsibility (which also amounts to 'money no object'), then you could do it. After all, we did look at selling the whole online game service when we closed it down. Ironically, I think if we'd have managed to survive another 12-18 months we would have broken even and probably even got it to the point where we could have sold it for a tidy sum; Reubs and the team had developed a dirt cheap clan server model, we had a UK 'fileplanet' on the cards (free for card holders and paid for by non-UK peeps), plans to bin BarryBar and replace it with something more ASE-like, and the ad market that was the cause of the original team's woes has become viable in the last couple of years, mainly thanks to Google. But, that's the BW that exists in an alternate universe, so there's no point thinking about it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
on that basis, if GAME were prepared to allow use of the name, what are the chances that they'd do a bearings (sell it for £1) on the basis that someone else took responsibility?

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
Why don't we just do a deal where we don't buy anything from GAME unless they give it back ;)

brooky

One of Freddy's beloved
Not quite 20 years Natrat !

I understand Brooky's motivations and I say go for it. He is pursuing something he feels strongly about and what he wants is more important than the hacker profitting. No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face. Personally I reckon i'd get a warm fuzzy glow if in 20 years time somebody resurected the name BarrysWorld, and a few old fuzzy gamers got together to play the ancient, hardly known games Battlefield 1942, UT2k4 etc :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Brooky! How are you doing old chap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom