Worth coming back?

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Me and the Wife have been drifting from MMORPG to MMORPG since we gave up DAoC about a year ago. We both had level 50 chars and numerous alts but our accounts have now found their way into other peoples hands. We're waiting for either EQ2 or WoW and need something to fill in the space till then and are considering coming back to the game. SI was well established when we left but we know nothing about the new expansion, is it worth buying the full 3 in 1 product? How is server population, bugs, general gameplay and have GOA improved at all (i'm seriously doubting this). Has anyone got a link to that skills calculator so i can check out whats changed and the new classes if any.

Thanks in advance.

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
http://daoc.catacombs.com character builder is here.

Its worse than it has ever been at the moment, unless you can get in a good guild your going to be pretty much stuffed to soloing leveling from 1 again.

GOA are the same as, nuff said.

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks. We'll be playing together so am not too bothered about grouping at low levels. What exactly is worse?

Am considering Hib as i played a Friar to 50 and had a few Mid chars, whats a good duo. The wife always plays nukers and i generally play a healer hybrid so anything like that would be good.

Forgot to ask, whats the best server to play on these days, still Prydwen?

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
I would say Pry as if you do go hib they need the numbers and they have the magic relics.

If your wife wants a nuker go Manachanter and if you like healing go for a Bard.

Speed, power regen, focus pulling, pbaoe, healing, cc if you need it etc...

Very nice duo.

eatsam

Loyal Freddie
I have to warn you, if you don't have the time to play ALOT, you will have no chance in rvr. ToA takes TIME! But if you're still up for it, i'd suggest starting pryd/hib too, think it's a fine place, and it has /level 30 for your alts.

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
eatsam said:
I have to warn you, if you don't have the time to play ALOT, you will have no chance in rvr. ToA takes TIME! But if you're still up for it, i'd suggest starting pryd/hib too, think it's a fine place, and it has /level 30 for your alts.

Thanks all.

We have 2 very young kids which means next to no social life so as long as they go to bed OK we can and will play most nights.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Yep enchanter/bard duo will be great and it fits in your interests. Focus pull, heal pet, let the focus drop the mobs till 60% and 2x pbaoe from your wife should finish it ;). You can do 5-6 yellow or 2-3 oj mobs at once with this tactic. But yep go for hib/prydwen, if I should started at scratch I would go for hib/prydwen too ;)

Regarding your main question, no, its not worth comming back (and ToA has made it a lot more difficult for new players) but thats just my opinion...I've stopped 2 weeks ago and I'm actually not planning on comming back ever again. But if you say that your social life is no problem to you, give it a go...Social life is just too important for me to sacrifice it for this game. I'm really glad that I've stopped now ;)

Sigurd

Banned
CliffyG said:
Me and the Wife have been drifting from MMORPG to MMORPG since we gave up DAoC about a year ago. We both had level 50 chars and numerous alts but our accounts have now found their way into other peoples hands. We're waiting for either EQ2 or WoW and need something to fill in the space till then and are considering coming back to the game. SI was well established when we left but we know nothing about the new expansion, is it worth buying the full 3 in 1 product? How is server population, bugs, general gameplay and have GOA improved at all (i'm seriously doubting this). Has anyone got a link to that skills calculator so i can check out whats changed and the new classes if any.

Thanks in advance.

Come to the US servers and I'll help you out as I did before Haedric... you might even thank me this time :)

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
Come to the US servers and I'll help you out as I did before Haedric... you might even thank me this time :)

Sorry i have no idea who you are / were (name is familiar though)? It's not like me not to say thanks, was it possibly the person who has my account now and not me?

Sigurd

Banned
The person who enrolled you into your first guild... quite some time ago now :p

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Ah yes, i vaguely remember. I severely doubt that me and the wife didn't say thanks though.

Sigurd

Banned
I wonder how AP is doing these days...? Well no, you probably did thank me after I was forced to reliquish my position as officer so you two could take my place :)

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
I wonder how AP is doing these days...? Well no, you probably did thank me after I was forced to reliquish my position as officer so you two could take my place :)

No idea but i would he's imagine exactly the same.

Still bitter after all this time and it wasn't even our fault lol. You weren't dropped as an officer because of us but because of you. Were you Gawain?

Sigurd

Banned
Nah I'm not bitter, I have my level 50 now, new guild, new server... even your little rebellion only caused me to move to the Order of the Knights Templar, which was a great guild. Just the way you asked for help reminded me of the whole thing :D

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
Nah I'm not bitter, I have my level 50 now, new guild, new server... even your little rebellion only caused me to move to the Order of the Knights Templar, which was a great guild. Just the way you asked for help reminded me of the whole thing :D

LOL you haven't changed at all, there was no rebellion, it was all because of your extremely bad attitutude nothing else.

Sigurd

Banned
I think you'll find I've changed a bit... but I never had a bad attitude. Bad temper maybe... but I always helped people out, and in your case it got thrown back in my face. You haven't changed though evidentally... just remember, I knew you before you were elitist, and now... you're nothing again :D

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
Sigurd said:
I think you'll find I've changed a bit... but I never had a bad attitude. Bad temper maybe... but I always helped people out, and in your case it got thrown back in my face. You haven't changed though evidentally... just remember, I knew you before you were elitist, and now... you're nothing again :D

How exactly did i throw it back in your face? I didn't get you demoted, and please explain how i'm an elitist. You think i actually care that i'm "nothing" in game?

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
pm is your friend :p

altough i find the discussion intresting from historical pov :D

maybe mana eldritch and bard is a better combo.

animist and bard (Perfecter ML5) is an insane powerfull combo :D

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
old.windforce said:
pm is your friend :p

altough i find the discussion intresting from historical pov :D

maybe mana eldritch and bard is a better combo.

animist and bard (Perfecter ML5) is an insane powerfull combo :D

Yep shouldn't have let myself get drawn into an argument.

I'll see what the missus thinks of those suggestions. Want it to be a good from an RvR point of view aswell as PvM.

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
I would suggest taking this "turn of events" to PM's Oo

Edit: Nerf faster posters!

Brelakor

Fledgling Freddie
See? Your already arguing, is it fun? No.
Dont come back, its not fun.

Brelakor

Fledgling Freddie
And i agree Yussef, as one op of #daoc.prydwen to another!
Albeit you have been a op abit longer than i was, but i feel i got some important things done.

Kawaii

Fledgling Freddie
stop rubbing each others back you 2 :p

and we're always looking for more ppl in hibernia ^^

Sigurd

Banned
CliffyG said:
How exactly did i throw it back in your face? I didn't get you demoted, and please explain how i'm an elitist. You think i actually care that i'm "nothing" in game?

And the snake didn't persuade Eve to eat the apple... as for the elitist thing, I remember you refusing to group with lower guildies in RvR. But anyway, welcome back... you'll find the game isn't quite as easy as it used to be, even in albion...

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
You asked how the game has changed.

One of the ways you may find DAoC different is that it is currently 'more frustrating' and partly because of this 'less friendly' than it used to be. The old 'innocent' days are no more. Lots of nerfs and changes in the pipeline etc. it all adds up; old time people have left, some guilds have suffered more than most etc. More changes to come with Frontiers. And the changes are/will impact all of DAoC.

As said above you will need a guild if you want to do ToA. Many encounters need 1fg, 2fg or even more. There is a concern that 'raids' will begin to die off in the future - especially when people are able to level their artifacts doing RvR (good for RvR but it takes people out of Atlantis / less help to those who haven't done ToA etc.).

So if you are just waiting before WoW or EQ2 it may not be the most rewarding experience. You have obviously tried other games but otehrs are now available. Anarchy On-Line 7 day trial, Ragnarok with its new expansion (15 day trial available), Ryzom beta and Lineage2 'beta' till end-April (if you try this use a download manager for the client its proving hugely popular), CoH - I'm sure you know what's out there though.

boomeH

Fledgling Freddie
Imo . its not worth coming back ml's + artifact + scrolls are just dead boring and the upcoming ra system is gunno make ra's not much fun

CliffyG

Fledgling Freddie
We have tried going back to EQ, AC2, AO, Horizons and Lineage 2 since leaving and none of them have been as good imo. The whole lineage experience has been the most frustrating out of all of them, even horizons and it doesn't seem to be that good a game underneath anyway.

Think the wife has settled on an Eldritch, more like a Wizard which is what she played before.

Whats a good way to spec a bard? I always end up not having enough points left for blades and only get it to about 20 :(.

And my last on bit of the matter of Sigurd, i was not in any guild at the time in a group with 5 or 6 other 50's (i was not group leader either). I asked if they minded and all of them did as you were only 32 or so. Please stop trying to cause arguments in my thread now, sick of you already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom