Wifi extender

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I'm in need of a wifi extender that will offer solid performance and an ethernet port for a sub £100 price tag. Currently living with a flatmate, the router is in the living room (Because that's where the master socket is) and my bedroom is across the hall. Can't run cable under the carpet because it'll have to be pulled up almost entirely and for obvious reasons we don't want cables running here, there and everywhere. I've got a couple of TPLink poweline adapters but the network keeps dropping out (Likely because it's old wiring) and it's driving me batshit. I'm with Sky so they will obviously be my first port of call but if that doesn't pan out I'd like some recommendations from you lot.

Ta.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I got a Netgear one AC1200 - WiFi Range Extender - Essentials Edition (similar anyway, was a while ago) for my mum who lives next door and taps my internet. Though our situation might not be the same. We live in 2 attached cottages with thick stone walls, the extender is in a socket roughly the other side of the wall to the router and works well for her, she picks up the wifi in her kitchen and living room, you connect to the extender (It has its own credentials) rather than the router.

Syri

FH is my second home
I recently set up a mesh wifi network for my parents, using a pack of 3 TP-Link Deco M4s. It works really well, and it was about £130. I set it up to just use the decos for wifi, but disabled the DHCP on the deco units so they'd use the router's DHCP, making it easier for devices connected to the router via ethernet to interface with anything on the wifi. It was easy to set up, and it's given great results all round their house. The other advantage with a mesh network is that it's completely portable to another provider, so if you move providers you don't need to set up every device to a new wifi password.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I have had a few extenders over the years - they work but they can't do miracles as regards speed.

I recently fitted surround speaker cables under the carpet - I used a flat cable and ran it around the walls on the inside of the grippers under the underlay. You can't tell they are there. It was an easy install - just working one section at a time - no need to pull the whole carpet up. Its worth a look - you just need some pliers and a hammer to refit the carpet on the gripper. The only thing to watch would be fitting network cable under where you walk.

I bought one of these recently.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J5R1MKT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using it as an access point in my office. Its connected by a wifi P2P link (2x CP5E10s) across my driveway to its ethernet port so that it can provide wifi access in the office. It seems like ok kit and the ethernet connection can provide either an access point for a non wifi device or connect an existing network to wifi. It will work as a stand alone wifi extender too although I've not tried this. I actually wanted something more powerful so I'm going in this direction which I hope will supply the garden.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016K5A06C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
My flatmate was with BT before I moved in (I bought Sky with me) and apparently with some settings modification I can turn the BT hub into a repeater and use the BT disc like I was before Sky took over. Why BT can't just not be wankers and allow the disc to pair with a Sky router I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom