Wifi printer stuff

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I need a new printer, just a cheapo one (for invoices and the odd random thing) like this:

Buy Samsung Xpress C430W Colour Laser Printer with NFC | John Lewis

I want it to be wireless, but my desktop pc doesn't have a wireless connection, it's attached to the router by a long cable under the floorboards, which has worked fine since forever. I was wondering, can I print to this printer "through" the router's wifi or something?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yes, as long as the printer and the computer are on the same subnet (ie they are both connected to the router via either wireless or cable) and, even if they're not, there are ways around it (Google Cloud Print).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
most SOHO / consumer routers will let you do that with no faffing Tomlar.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Alright cheers, I know I can get a wifi dongle for my desktop but it's one less thing to buy if I can do it this way. Old laser printer is now turning white paper into green, so it's time for the bin :D

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yes, as long as the printer and the computer are on the same subnet (ie they are both connected to the router via either wireless or cable) and, even if they're not, there are ways around it (Google Cloud Print).
We have a wireless printer and our desktops print via the routers wifi no problems at all as long as your on the same network :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Alright cheers, I know I can get a wifi dongle for my desktop but it's one less thing to buy if I can do it this way.
Yeah there's no need. Your printer will probably connect to your router the same way a phone or tablet or any other wireless device would (ie you'll have to put the router's wireless key in to the printer) so it will just be another IP on the network as far as your computer (or whatever you're printing from) is concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom