Help Mesh WiFi Systems

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice around Mesh WiFi systems, does anyone here have any experience?

I currently have Virgin Broadband through a recently updated Hub 3, but I've had an Asus RT-N66U router that has provided my WiFi for quite a while. My house is a 1930's brick built semi, that we've put a loft conversion into. It's not a huge house, but despite the router being a bit too close to the front wall and the party wall, the WiFi coverage isn't that bad, but I do have an annoying dead zone in the kitchen, right where I want to be streaming music etc. I have tried wireless extenders etc, but they don't work well, and my phone never changes to them automatically (there is just enough signal to keep the connection to the main router, but not enough to use).

A friend of mine has recently had the BT Mesh system installed in his (much bigger) house and is impressed with it, so I think I might go with one.

I've been looking at the TP Link Deco system, either the M5 with three units or the more powerful M9 with just 2, but meant to be faster with at least the same coverage. There is a £110 difference between them new which would be a no brainer, but I could currently buy some refurbed M9's for £205 which brings them a lot closer.

I'm assuming that I would simply get rid of my Asus router and use the Deco instead?

Is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks,

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Virgin do their own mesh thing. If you are currently using their router you could give that a try virtually for free to see if it works before investing in your own hardware.

I use a third party router as well on my virgin install but dont need a range extender.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I think that Virgin do a sort of mesh/extender thing that I am apparently entitled to get a free one of, but actually getting one is like hitting my head on a brick wall, it also isn't a flexible as a proper mesh system.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I use a Linksys Mesh system at home, Large house and has major issues with AC Ducting blocking WiFi in places like the kitchen. Mesh was a great way of getting arround that.

I kept my main router as the main gateway and linked to the mesh via Ethernet. Did that because I liked the more flexible menu system, VPN hash and Parental Controls etc.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did have a RT-AX88U but due to not wanting to run a cable over to where my NAS was going to be hiding I decided to change to a Netgear Orbi mesh system.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Thanks Hawkwind. Was your main router also your modem? It seems a bit redundant to have the Virgin hub 3 as a modem running into an Asus router and then into a mesh system, but I could run a VPN on the Asus apparently which would make a bit more sense.

I've looked at the Netgear Orbi Emb, they look amazing, much better than the systems I'm looking at, but more money than I want to spend, and almost certainly overkill just to sort out an annoying dead zone.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yeah they are expensive, it was just I ideally needed more than just a couple of Ethernet ports on one of the units so I could connect up a couple of devices.

I would give one piece of advice from what I've experienced so far with a Mesh system, you can easily end up with too many satellites which actually makes it worse.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Thanks Hawkwind. Was your main router also your modem? It seems a bit redundant to have the Virgin hub 3 as a modem running into an Asus router and then into a mesh system, but I could run a VPN on the Asus apparently which would make a bit more sense.

I've looked at the Netgear Orbi Emb, they look amazing, much better than the systems I'm looking at, but more money than I want to spend, and almost certainly overkill just to sort out an annoying dead zone.
Yes, DSL Modem as well.

Mate has the Orbi after looking at my set up and loves it. He has main ASUS router supplying a VPN WiFi connection to his Media box to get UK TV. The Orbi is a seperate WiFi setup for normal internet use.

Asus routers do usually have the VPN hash code system built in. Was definitely in my older model RT-66u

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Best reviews I've seen tend to be for the Google Devices? I was looking into them, but found a better place to locate my Nighthawk AP (bang in the centre of the house) so now get full signal everywhere, including the back garden.

Embattle

FH is my second home
When I used standard routers in my old place I had a Vigor 130 near the telephone socket, then I ran a network cable from it up to the middle of 2nd floor so the router was in the middle of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom