Why dont we have A COOP server ?

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Yes, I've heard there is lots of French and German people playing at Camlann - even up to problem because, surprise, they dont speak English.
the french and german on camlann can most likely understand english well enough, just not good enough to feel comfortable with it and would rather talk in their own language.
And you dont have to coop with everyone around, im playing ffxi which houses two languages on every server, Japanese and english. Now there is a program that you can use to say standard sentences in jap, but its unhandy imo so I just dont use it and as long as there are enough english speaking players around, I will be just fine. The same will go for coop, you might have some troubles with a large raid, but even that might be fixed by making sure that everyone can get instructions in their own language. Off course this is unhandy, but that would be the case for any language.
Besides that I doubt that there are many people can not understand english well enough to follow orders on a raid that it wont work, even if some have to be helped in party chat.

This is not how the things were 2-years ago (<- not a guess, based on some investigations) and I guess the things haven't changed that much. Like I said in before, German and French people (generally) has no need to learn other languages and according to my relations in both France and Germany they simply dont want to because they are proud of their languages and want to use it. Same seems to fit for English - French and German people are probably as sure as you that co-op server would be in their own language.
Did some digging and found out that 40% of the germans can speak english and 30% of the french can. Now the biggest amount will be in the young gamers so there the percentage it will be even higher.

And you cant compare why english dont learn a second language with germans and french as english is the most spoken second language in alot of countries (certainly in europe), so it is a logical choice that you can make due without another language.
For the same reason it is probably the most used language for business, so the french and german will either have to learn english or be unable to speak with most of the world (which harms the potential job options you have) and you are unable to read most of the internet and play atleast some games who arent translated (which might way heavier for gamers :p).

Anyway english is the most logical choice for a joint server as simply the most customers of goa will be expected to be able to read it at the very least.

and camlann flopped because of it being a PvP server, you can see that by how large mordred is and by the closing of the other US pvp server. Besides that most english people left, because of the rules of the language barier and that the server was full at the start so the barier wasnt so big that people didnt want to start. After the novelty wore off, was when the numbers dropped.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
enkor said:
thats the most clueless comment i've seen in a long time. 'they can't work together' :eek6: can you work together with mids? i don't think you can. On camlann everyone who is not your guild is your enemy. One of the main reason i stopped playing rvr server is having to be on the same 'side' as people like you.

i'm guess that when you played RvR you treated everyone not in your guild as your enemy.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
And this has something to do with the language? Majority of the Euro-players are playing at German-servers atm so please, English isn't the most common common language in Daoc-community, probably not even in general (yes, French and German peeps are just as proud of their language as English people so they cba to learn other languages). Or is there a language called Euro? Oo Btw, Prydwen and Excalibur aint UK-servers, they are just servers in English.

there are more people in the rest of Europe that speak English than are in the UK itself. Pointless little fact.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic should of prevented GOA from changing the language and instead told them to right a translator into the client side code, that way everyone would get patches a bit faster and anyone could play on any server.

enkor

Can't get enough of FH
Balbor said:
i'm guess that when you played RvR you treated everyone not in your guild as your enemy.

no. only idiots like you.

Franya

Loyal Freddie
Like I said in before, German and French people (generally) has no need to learn other languages and according to my relations in both France and Germany they simply dont want to because they are proud of their languages and want to use it.
Well if you go to school in germany you are forced to learn english from the 5th class (Unless you live in certain areas near the french border were french substitutes english) And that has been since i went to school. (I left school 20 years ago)...
Anyway, what GOA should do is to find out why Camlann flopped - Was it because PvP isn't interesting enough or because of the language barrier?
In my opinion it flopped because as a new player you cant start there because of constant grey ganking. If you compare it to UO... as soon as the PVP free Trammel facets opened the whining about UO is dead started yet it was the PvP free area that was flourishing and the PVP area died out.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
I'm busy at the moment so will reply just for few points. Sorry about that :p
Driwen said:
Did some digging and found out that 40% of the germans can speak english and 30% of the french can. Now the biggest amount will be in the young gamers so there the percentage it will be even higher.
Sorry, I dont understand everything in that url so kinda pointless for me to comment it (yes, I can see the figures you pointed out). Europe, however, has a lot more countrys than listed there and if my memory serves me right German is the most spoken language in whole Europe (according to those docs ~2-years ago). I could be wrong but I'm 100% sure it wasn't English.
Franya said:
Well if you go to school in germany you are forced to learn english from the 5th class (Unless you live in certain areas near the french border were french substitutes english) And that has been since i went to school. (I left school 20 years ago)...
English lessons (well, most of us choose English over French and German) starts at 3th grade in Finland. I know people from Germany and Finland who have studied English for ~10-years yet they haven't learn it. Swedish lessons starts at 7th grade in Finland - I have studied Swedish for 8-years and can't write a single sentence without tons of mistakes (well, I can write "öl och korv är jättebra" and not sure is there mistakes in it :p). I even know people from UK who haven't learn English in 25-years+ (to understand written text) :p
Franya said:
In my opinion it flopped because as a new player you cant start there because of constant grey ganking. If you compare it to UO... as soon as the PVP free Trammel facets opened the whining about UO is dead started yet it was the PvP free area that was flourishing and the PVP area died out.
Yes, in my opinion Camlann flopped because PvP isn't interested enough. However, if I try to look things in GOA PoV that wouldn't be the case. Much depends on how much French/German people put pressure on GOA probably - "There is already English PvP server so now its our turn to get server in French/German".

Anyway, you can be pleased that I'm not deciding things like this for GOA :p I would definetaly make the co-op server in German. I would love to see someone from GOA comes here are proves me wrong saying "If there will be co-op server it will definetaly be in English". Untill then I'm sticking with my opinion and everyone else may stick with theirs - I'm not trying to preach the "truth" here.

inviteme

Fledgling Freddie
I dont think language whould matter much on a pve server, after all pve requires very little communication (except shitchatting during DT). On the other hand i guess you could play the game ignoring the crappy mob ai, but i dont think communication whould make a difference to the outcome of a battle anyway if you where ignoring these things.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Balbor said:
there are more people in the rest of Europe that speak English than are in the UK itself. Pointless little fact.

There is a huge difference between native language and language learnt at school.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
For the same reason it is probably the most used language for business, so the french and german will either have to learn english or be unable to speak with most of the world (which harms the potential job options you have) and you are unable to read most of the internet and play atleast some games who arent translated (which might way heavier for gamers :p).

I learned english when i was very young long before i got it in school thanks to my country that did not translate every movie/book/game/whatever to dutch, and these movies that have been translated to french or german completely SUCK (i understand both but refuse to talk them)...

cant even imagine what a dutch game would be like... yuck yuck yuck....

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
I learned english when i was very young long before i got it in school thanks to my country that did not translate every movie/book/game/whatever to dutch, and these movies that have been translated to french or german completely SUCK (i understand both but refuse to talk them)...

It's not countries which decide but companies.

cant even imagine what a dutch game would be like... yuck yuck yuck....

I don't think english language was invented because it fits better with video-games.

Lian

Fledgling Freddie
You can communicate with msot people on Camlann in English. It helps if you pick up some german/french as well so you can deal with things if someone can't think of a word. Most guilds are mixed, and wil have people that are fluid in all the languages.

I think in my guild on Camlann we have native speakers in English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, Hebrew, Afrikaans, Spanish, Portuguese and greek. I might have missed some as well. Our /gu is in english, everyone understands, or gets everything with the help of other people/dictionaries. It might jsut mean that *shock horror* you'll have to learn some other languages.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Saggy said:
No, I'm not. Should I take that as an insult?

No, you should take it as an observation of a post that was inflammatory and provocative in tone.

Saggy said:
People started to bother GOA about co-op server over a year ago. Nothing have happen, no plans that we know of. Sure, my talking is based on my assumptions - just like yours. Maybe the word "realistically" was too strong but are my assumtions biased? Heh, I tried to see things in GOA PoV - The majority of Euro Daoc-players are playing on German servers, Camlann the English (call it a Euro-server, whatever, it will still be a server in English) server has the lowest population of all the servers and neither of the two other English (again, the language) servers aint full, other one far from it. Assumtion that it is 100% sure that the co-op server would be in English (yet again, the language, feel free to call it whatever you like) is, how should I put it, biased? Oh, my remindings of the language ain't for you Margaret :p

Please note that I never once said with any sort of certainty that any eventual co-op server would definitely be in English. My comment was about your very bombastic statements of what GOA will or will not do.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
PvP servers are probably fail because DAOC was designed around RvR and there are other games that do PvP a lot better. How is keep teleporting in NF gonna work on an PvP server.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Ning said:
There is a huge difference between native language and language learnt at school.

And yet, by some strange happenstance, speakers of both versions of the language can generally understand each other quite well. Will wonders never cease.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
give us a 3rd English RvR server so English speaking players have the option to play all three realms if they wish to.

inviteme

Fledgling Freddie
Balbor said:
PvP servers are probably fail because DAOC was designed around RvR and there are other games that do PvP a lot better. How is keep teleporting in NF gonna work on an PvP server.

I havent found any :(

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Margaret said:
Please note that I never once said with any sort of certainty that any eventual co-op server would definitely be in English. My comment was about your very bombastic statements of what GOA will or will not do.
Please note that I never once said you claimed that co-op server would definetely be in English. What I did, however, was defending my very bombastic statement of what GOA will or will not do because I made it to counter another very bombastic statement of what GOA will or will not do (as people in this thread are sure that co-op server would be in English).

My "trolling" was to make clear that people should pay attention what others are saying:
Saggy said:
Co-op server would be a nice extra but...

Excalibur = not full
Prydwen = far from full
Camlann = even further from full

... in English? Very unlikely.
English ins't my main language so someone will probably correct me but I simply dont see how "in English" could be about nationality instead of language?

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Saggy said:
Please note that I never once said you claimed that co-op server would definetely be in English. What I did, however, was defending my very bombastic statement of what GOA will or will not do because I made it to counter another very bombastic statement of what GOA will or will not do (as people in this thread are sure that co-op server would be in English).

Actually, yes, upon review of what you wrote I can see that I misunderstood your meaning. Very sorry about that. :eek: (That is an embarrassed smiley, isn't it?)

Additionally...

Saggy said:
English ins't my main language so someone will probably correct me but I simply dont see how "in English" could be about nationality instead of language?

What I think people have been trying to say is that a co-op server should, like Camlann, be -in- English, but available for French and German speakers as well. And, as has been phrased several different ways in this thread already, there are plenty of French and German people on Camlann. :)

(I'm not a native speaker of English either, by the way. Feel free to point out any glaring errors I make.)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Margaret said:
Actually, yes, upon review of what you wrote I can see that I misunderstood your meaning. Very sorry about that. :eek: (That is an embarrassed smiley, isn't it?)
No problem :D And yes, that smiley is kind of confusing, got flamed once because it looks differend than what the description is.

enkor

Can't get enough of FH
Balbor said:

a) not really

b) they won't have it, they will do a modified version of NF for pvp.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy said:
And this has something to do with the language? Majority of the Euro-players are playing at German-servers atm so please, English isn't the most common common language in Daoc-community, probably not even in general (yes, French and German peeps are just as proud of their language as English people so they cba to learn other languages). Or is there a language called Euro? Oo Btw, Prydwen and Excalibur aint UK-servers, they are just servers in English.

You tend to forget something, even tho you are right about that WITHIN the DAoC community, English is not the most speaked.

But if you look on ALL of Europe, and NOT just Germany, France and UK, the others (as far as i know) all have English as 2nd langauge, including Germany and France, while few have German or French even as 3rd language (most Danes have German as 3rd language, but it is OPTIONAL!), so English would be natural choise, not because of the Englishmen, Germans or French-people, but because of all the others... imho...

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Margaret said:
What I think people have been trying to say is that a co-op server should, like Camlann, be -in- English, but available for French and German speakers as well.
Actually all of the servers are available for everyone ;) Maybe CoC is differend on Camlann or logging to Camlann doesn't require patching to English or something?
GOA said:
New players? :

If you are discovering the game for the first time, the English servers are Excalibur & Prydwen. You can also play on Camlann, the English PvP server.
GOA CoC said:
GOA accommodates servers in three different languages (English, French and German). You can connect to a server using foreign language, but if you communicate on the main channels, please use the language of the server
________
Margaret said:
And, as has been phrased several different ways in this thread already, there are plenty of French and German people on Camlann. :)
Yes, there is plenty of French and German players on Camlann. The question is that would the population of Camlann be higher if it would be in French or German ;)
Iceforge said:
You tend to forget something, even tho you are right about that WITHIN the DAoC community, English is not the most speaked.

But if you look on ALL of Europe, and NOT just Germany, France and UK, the others (as far as i know) all have English as 2nd langauge, including Germany and France, while few have German or French even as 3rd language (most Danes have German as 3rd language, but it is OPTIONAL!), so English would be natural choise, not because of the Englishmen, Germans or French-people, but because of all the others... imho...
Like I said this is not the case in my knowledge (according to those investigations ~2-years ago where, if my memory serves me right, German was the most speaken and the most spread language in Europe). Do we know how many of the players on German servers are from Germany and how many of the players on the French servers are from France? I for one dont so there is a good chance that co-op server in French/German could serve more players than co-op server in English.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Saggy said:
Yes, there is plenty of French and German players on Camlann. The question is that would the population of Camlann be higher if it would be in French or German ;)

I doubt it, myself. But then, we're both pretty much speculating at this point. ;)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Margaret said:
I doubt it, myself. But then, we're both pretty much speculating at this point. ;)
Personally I doubt it too but by looking things in GOA PoV I would definetaly go for German server. What they have is 3 English (the language) servers and two of them has quite low population - conclusion? There isn't enough players interested in Daoc in English, Camlann flopped and we have nothing to loose if we make co-op server in German/French. And yes, I'm just speculating ;)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Ning said:
I don't think english language was invented because it fits better with video-games.

nope, but dutch doesnt fit ANY game at all, sometimes the manuals are translated in dutch and usually they are full of errors because the translators have no idea what its all about, or because some words are just not translatable, same case with the games itself

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Saggy said:
What they have is 3 English servers and two of them has quite low population - conclusion?

Camlann is not a 3rd. English server, it is the Euro PvP server - for which they chose English as the most common second language, and therefore the best choice for a server which will be played by people from many different countries.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Saggy said:
Personally I doubt it too but by looking things in GOA PoV I would definetaly go for German server. What they have is 3 English servers and two of them has quite low population - conclusion? There isn't enough players interested in Daoc in English, Camlann flopped and we have nothing to loose if we make co-op server in German/French. And yes, I'm just speculating ;)

Then again, English-language promotion of DAoC has been near-nonexistent in Europe, while it's been extensively covered in French and German. I know for myself that up until very recently, I hadn't seen a single ad, review or other sort of promotional material for DAoC in any computer game shop, magazine or other media. The only reason I heard about the game in the first place was because of a friend who mentioned he'd heard a different friend mention it in passing and then signed up...

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Margaret said:
Then again, English-language promotion of DAoC has been near-nonexistent in Europe, while it's been extensively covered in French and German. I know for myself that up until very recently, I hadn't seen a single ad, review or other sort of promotional material for DAoC in any computer game shop, magazine or other media. The only reason I heard about the game in the first place was because of a friend who mentioned he'd heard a different friend mention it in passing...

Yeah, I've seen ads for every MMORPG except DAOC in the UK gaming press.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Camlann is not a 3rd. English server, it is the Euro PvP server - for which they chose English as the most common second language, and therefore the best choice for a server which will be played by people from many different countries.
Edited it just for you Oo As I have pointed out many many times that in my knowledge German is the most common language in Europe. It's not about nationality, its about language. I hate to repeat myself over and over again, tbh :p Or maybe you can give me a URL where GOA states out what you claim them stating?
GOA said:
New players? :

If you are discovering the game for the first time, the English servers are Excalibur & Prydwen. You can also play on Camlann, the English PvP server.
Feel free to call Camlann a Euro-server, it will still be in English.
Margaret said:
Then again, English-language promotion of DAoC has been near-nonexistent in Europe, while it's been extensively covered in French and German. I know for myself that up until very recently, I hadn't seen a single ad, review or other sort of promotional material for DAoC in any computer game shop, magazine or other media. The only reason I heard about the game in the first place was because of a friend who mentioned he'd heard a different friend mention it in passing and then signed up...
Hihi, I was supposed to write Daoc-review for Finnish game-magazine :D It wasn't finished after 1.5 years of playing so they fired me :D And yes, marketing Daoc has been surprisingly poor :eek7:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom