Why dont we have A COOP server ?

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Ning said:
2 reasons :
1) Frontier = pure RvR.
Co-op is PvE (I don't consider fighting against mob defending a keep as "RvR")

Co-op is PvE with RPs for killing high-level mobs with improved AI holding keeps in the frontier. Which means you can purchase RAs. Which means you can explore the new Frontiers content just as well on a co-op server.

Ning said:
2) When Frontier will be released here, everybody will leave the Co-op server to discover Frontier with their main char on normal servers.

See above.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Margaret said:
Co-op is PvE with RPs for killing high-level mobs with improved AI holding keeps in the frontier. Which means you can purchase RAs. Which means you can explore the new Frontiers content just as well on a co-op server.

IMO RvR isn't just RA and RPs, but maintly the abilitly to fight against real players with a brain (hum sometimes :D ). I tested Co-op and "improved AI" is a joke.
There is the same kind of difference between playing Quake3 offline against computer and playing Quake3 online.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Ning said:
IMO RvR isn't just RA and RPs, but maintly the abilitly to fight against real players with a brain (hum sometimes :D ). I tested Co-op and "improved AI" is a joke.
There is the same kind of difference between playing Quake3 offline against computer and playing Quake3 online.

Actually a Q3 bot on Nightmare setting is more accurate than 95% of players; try 1v1 against Spiterbot and see what I mean :D.

A lot of players (myself included) RvR just to get RAs, though.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Ning said:

That may be so. :)

However, the people playing on a co-op server are mainly there because they prefer PvE over RvR, no? So while some may, as you say, go to another server to check out the RvR action in New Frontiers, I'm willing to wager that the grand majority of those will come back to the co-op server after having tried it out for a bit.

But we're really both speculating, here. ;)

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Actually a Q3 bot on Nightmare setting is more accurate than 95% of players; try 1v1 against Spiterbot and see what I mean :D.

Problem isn't that playing against AI controled player is too easy or too hard (you can easily make an invincible bot that always headshot; it's not hard to do that for programmers.) . Problem is that it's a lot more exciting to play against an humain (with all its qualities and non qualities) than against a computer.

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
I can't stand Camlann, but that statement's just out of line. It's like saying every player on an RvR server is a no-skill zerger. There is a playerbase that really enjoys Camlann's style, so let 'em enjoy it in peace.

This thread isn't about Camlann, it's about us European DAOC players getting a co-op server...

i'm basing it more on the TL report with stuff such as putting siege weapons over teleport NPCs etc, and moaning that TOA is too hard because, well they just can't work together

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
Heh well, if people on PvP are struggling with TOA, who cares? Likely your enemy can't manage it either.

Lian

Fledgling Freddie
Every single time this topic crops up, Camlann and it's players get slated. Yes there are griefers and lamers, but then I've seen things on Hib/Pryd (supposedly the nice realm) that are at least as bad (usually involving 4 fins).

People killing people that just /lvld are some of the low scum on the server, but typically they are other people coming over from the blue servers for an afternoon of being a twat.

There is some good fg vs fg PvP to be had on Camlann, and you can stand your ground without having to engage in the ToA timesink too much.

In the last week my guild went from no relics to 1 relic to 3 relics back to none and upto 1 again. Admittedly only certain guilds can take relics and hope to keep them (probably Requiem, Fear, Evolved, CaernSidhe, GdE, Les Bannis and Horde), but off late they switch around at least once, usually more a week.

As for a coop server, I wouldn't play it, but then hour upon hour of Pve does not appeal to me (scroll farming is bad enough). I realise it does to some people though, so I don't see why no such option is provided when the basic code is clearly available.

EDIT: On MLs, 2-3 guilds have gotten past ML4.2 which is the main bottleneck. I have run into grapple, but not bodyguard yet. Most 50's in a good guild will be lugging about multiple artifacts. A large aprt of the lack of success with Mls is not down to being ganked by other guilds when you are doing them, but rather that msot people in the guilds are more interested in doing Pvp than bashing mobs.

enkor

Can't get enough of FH
Balbor said:
i'm basing it more on the TL report with stuff such as putting siege weapons over teleport NPCs etc, and moaning that TOA is too hard because, well they just can't work together

thats the most clueless comment i've seen in a long time. 'they can't work together' :eek6: can you work together with mids? i don't think you can. On camlann everyone who is not your guild is your enemy. One of the main reason i stopped playing rvr server is having to be on the same 'side' as people like you.

Franya

Loyal Freddie
Ning said:
2 reasons :
1) Frontier = pure RvR.
Co-op is PvE (I don't consider fighting against mob defending a keep as "RvR")

2) When Frontier will be released here, everybody will leave the Co-op server to discover Frontier with their main char on normal servers.
So if i get the choice of leaving the goddam PvP/RvR behind and do a coop why would i want to go back? If it means to delete my 5 lvl 50s so that i am able to play Coop, so be it.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Franya said:
So if i get the choice of leaving the goddam PvP/RvR behind and do a coop why would i want to go back? If it means to delete my 5 lvl 50s so that i am able to play Coop, so be it.

It would be a new server, so shouldn't be any need to delete anything as far as I can tell.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Co-op server would be a nice extra but...

Excalibur = not full
Prydwen = far from full
Camlann = even further from full

... in English? Very unlikely.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Saggy said:
Co-op server would be a nice extra but...

Excalibur = not full
Prydwen = far from full
Camlann = even further from full

... in English? Very unlikely.

It would be the Euro co-op server, not just a UK one.

Last night there were 1,000 people online on Excal at 2 in the morning when I got back from work. Looked pretty healthy to me.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
It would be the Euro co-op server, not just a UK one.
And this has something to do with the language? Majority of the Euro-players are playing at German-servers atm so please, English isn't the most common common language in Daoc-community, probably not even in general (yes, French and German peeps are just as proud of their language as English people so they cba to learn other languages). Or is there a language called Euro? Oo Btw, Prydwen and Excalibur aint UK-servers, they are just servers in English.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Well English was chosen as the language for the Euro PvP server, seems logical that it would be the language for the Euro co-op server too.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Svartmetall said:
Well English was chosen as the language for the Euro PvP server, seems logical that it would be the language for the Euro co-op server too.
English was chosen for Camlann because there was a need for 3rd English server (you know, to try all 3 realms in English). I would be very surprised if GOA decides to make one more English server when none of the existing ones are full and two of them dont have enough players. Can always hope I suppose, realistically it will never happen :p

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Saggy said:
And this has something to do with the language? Majority of the Euro-players are playing at German-servers atm so please, English isn't the most common common language in Daoc-community, probably not even in general (yes, French and German peeps are just as proud of their language as English people so they cba to learn other languages). Or is there a language called Euro? Oo Btw, Prydwen and Excalibur aint UK-servers, they are just servers in English.

Now you're just trolling.

Camlann sees plenty of French and German people, doesn't it? And that's supposed to be an English-language server. I really don't think a co-op server being in English will be a problem.

Margaret

Loyal Freddie
Saggy said:
English was chosen for Camlann because there was a need for 3rd English server (you know, to try all 3 realms in English). I would be very surprised if GOA decides to make one more English server when none of the existing ones are full and two of them dont have enough players. Can always hope I suppose, realistically it will never happen :p

Realistically you're talking based on your assumptions, which are, not to put too fine a point on it, biased.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Saggy said:
English was chosen for Camlann because there was a need for 3rd English server

There are only 2 English servers. Camlann is the Euro PvP server, English was chosen as the common language for it but it is not the "3rd. UK server" because it is not a conventional server.

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
There are only 2 English servers. Camlann is the Euro PvP server, English was chosen as the common language for it but it is not the "3rd. UK server" because it is not a conventional server.

Agree 100% and I get annoyed at GOA trying to palm people off by saying its the 3rd English server. It is NOT the same game experience.

Have had rants about this here and there over time.

Misleath

Fledgling Freddie
ToA on PvP is better than on conventional servers in my opinion. why? because it actually requires some effort, you can't just bring along a zerg of noobs and do a raid. If you do, you will get ganked easily by a group pbaeing you to death. And not everyone on the whole server is ML10 and have every artifact and a char twinked to hell.

The language on Camlann isn't english. Its alot more french and german, my guess is a co-op server would be the same.

I can't see the passion of playing a Co-op server, there is no challenge really. I understand that people love PvE etc but why not get the best of it and have the possibility to RvR against players rather than only PvE?

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Misleath;

<I can't see the passion of playing a Co-op server, there is no challenge really. I understand that people love PvE etc but why not get the best of it and have the possibility to RvR against players rather than only PvE?>

Interesting comment. It struck me that is a part of what Guild Wars is supposed to be about - not having to PvE and being able to go straight to RvR. That said when I tried the 3-day trial it seemed pretty much PvE.\

Whether there is a challenge or not comes from the programming behind the mobs btw. A part of which involves giving them the same powers as you have and not just 'a lot of hit points, high armour class and a kill everyone around power or two. Those type of mobs need a lot more work however.

As to why there should be a co-op server? Extra choice / more value for money / better customer service - call it what you will. Same argument goes for having 3 servers.

Will it have the numbers? Its a question of faith in the product. Putting some of the money back in. Give the playerbase more reasons to stay and GoA may keep more of the players it has. (And this is a GoA issue).

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Misleath said:
I can't see the passion of playing a Co-op server, there is no challenge really.

Some people like to play for sheer immersion in the gameworld, where "pwning" other players is irrelevant.

I understand that people love PvE etc but why not get the best of it and have the possibility to RvR against players rather than only PvE?

Because you can already do that on all the normal servers. The "possibility to RvR" is only the "best" if you enjoy RvR for its own sake. At the moment we in Europe, while paying the same amount in subs as the US players, are denied access to the co-op gamestyle to which US players have access.
RvR people need to realise that more than a few players just don't care about RvR/PvP, it's just not an issue, or something that appeals. I'll join in realm defence if there's a RR on us, but other than that I just don't give a damn about RvR. I don't judge my peen, E or RL, by RR or killspam. I play to have fun, and RvR is 99% of the time not fun.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
See nothing wrong with a co-op server even though i enjoy rvr would be nice for a change to do different things.

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
Svartmetall said:
I don't judge my peen, E or RL, by RR or killspam.
Nicely put, shame theres so many l33t ppl that exist purely on that basis alone.

Would be nice imo to have PvE grps made up of possibly all classes in the game. Heck sometimes i even enjoy dia farming ><, at least in PvE you know what to expect and sometimes thats all you want in a game when you've got back from work and had a bad day etc etc. You can still get a sense of achievment but w/o the frustration (mostly) of being unable to beat the zerg/stealth zerg or some high ml/rr grps.

I think it just sums up GOA in general tbh, un-willing or just ignorant of the customers needs.

Vote Co-op4tehWinn!

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Im pretty sure Yussef would be the supreme ruler of that server then :x

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:

english is the most common second language in western europe. I am guessing that there are probably just as many french who can speak german as english or more english and for germans I expect it to be even more moved towards english. I am guessing, but I do think that english is the language the most customers of goa can understand (and most people on the uk server cant speak french or german).
English being chosen as language for camlann has nothing to do with how many UK servers there are, it has to do with english being the most used (european) language in games and in internet(atleast im guessing this). So being the most logical choice for an european server.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Margaret said:
Now you're just trolling.
No, I'm not. Should I take that as an insult?
Margaret said:
Camlann sees plenty of French and German people, doesn't it? And that's supposed to be an English-language server. I really don't think a co-op server being in English will be a problem.
Yes, I've heard there is lots of French and German people playing at Camlann - even up to problem because, surprise, they dont speak English. I tried one of the French servers and playing wasn't a problem, done all in English before so knew the game commands, but communication was a huge problem because I dont speak French. How could there be co-op server if the fellow players would still "say something in language you dont understand"? :p Yes, no matter what language is used that problem would remain but where is the biggest players-base on Euro-servers?
Margaret said:
Realistically you're talking based on your assumptions, which are, not to put too fine a point on it, biased.
People started to bother GOA about co-op server over a year ago. Nothing have happen, no plans that we know of. Sure, my talking is based on my assumptions - just like yours. Maybe the word "realistically" was too strong but are my assumtions biased? Heh, I tried to see things in GOA PoV - The majority of Euro Daoc-players are playing on German servers, Camlann the English (call it a Euro-server, whatever, it will still be a server in English) server has the lowest population of all the servers and neither of the two other English (again, the language) servers aint full, other one far from it. Assumtion that it is 100% sure that the co-op server would be in English (yet again, the language, feel free to call it whatever you like) is, how should I put it, biased? Oh, my remindings of the language ain't for you Margaret :p
Driwen said:
English being chosen as language for camlann has nothing to do with how many UK servers there are, it has to do with english being the most used (european) language in games and in internet(atleast im guessing this). So being the most logical choice for an european server.
This is not how the things were 2-years ago (<- not a guess, based on some investigations) and I guess the things haven't changed that much. Like I said in before, German and French people (generally) has no need to learn other languages and according to my relations in both France and Germany they simply dont want to because they are proud of their languages and want to use it. Same seems to fit for English - French and German people are probably as sure as you that co-op server would be in their own language.
Saggy said:
I would be very surprised if GOA decides to make one more English server when none of the existing ones are full and two of them dont have enough players. Can always hope I suppose, realistically it will never happen :)
To reprhase : Can always hope I suppose, personally I dont see it happening and I recommend not to bet on it.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Bah, 10min editing time expired and cba to write it all again :p Anyway, what GOA should do is to find out why Camlann flopped - Was it because PvP isn't interesting enough or because of the language barrier? Without finding that out what would be the conclusion of Camlann (in GOA PoV)? That's right, there isn't enough players for another English server and hey, nothing to loose in trying it in French/German.

I wanted to play all three realms - GOA's answer was that I can always play Camlann. Well thank you, I'm not interested in PvP at all so had to use two accounts to do it -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom