Who did you vote for?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
MYstIC G said:

:clap:

the tory's wanted to lower stamp duty yet if you understand basic economics you'll know that by lowering price you'll increase the price unless supply can expand fast enough to meet it (which, in the case of housing, it cant :p )

so its hardly and effective way of letting first time buyers onto the market as all it does is move the money from the government to the seller :p

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
Just another thing to mention... Labours brainchild of Inheritance tax...

Bet all you Labour goons love that one.

Your parents work all their lives paying huge taxes and eventually pay off their mortgage. They want to leave the house to you, but oh wait... Labour claim 50% of it's value as inheritance tax... what fun.

When you think that around 50% of what you get is taken away in tax give or take a few %. Then the other 50% is taken away once you leave your home you paid for with your own taxed money to your kids...

Nice.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I do have to agree with skyler there.

Inheritance tax for the LOSE!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
leggy said:
I do have to agree with skyler there.

Inheritance tax for the LOSE!

Inheritance tax is just SWP bitterness. Let's face it, most old folks homes are swallowed up by old-folk's-homes costs, but if not then let's have it all in tax, why should any kid get anything just cos their grandparents saved up all their lives to give them something. Everyone should start out at the same level as a chav kid \o/

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Skyler said:
Just another thing to mention... Labours brainchild of Inheritance tax...

Bet all you Labour goons love that one.

Your parents work all their lives paying huge taxes and eventually pay off their mortgage. They want to leave the house to you, but oh wait... Labour claim 50% of it's value as inheritance tax... what fun.

When you think that around 50% of what you get is taken away in tax give or take a few %. Then the other 50% is taken away once you leave your home you paid for with your own taxed money to your kids...

Nice.

There are thresholds under which you pay no inheritance tax. Also there are legal ways to avoid this tax too...so its not all bad.

Its really a tax on the rich if you dont use the avoidance methods...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
throdgrain said:
I meant not to respond any more, but really. You are talking out of your ARSE. We had two recessions under the Tories. This isnt a fable you berk, this is what actually happened. 3 million unemployed is what happened.
Just before the second recession they had a chance to hold it back, by increasing interest rates. But there was an election due, so what did they do? They lowered rates.
What happened? They got back in. And we had a recession. Suprise.
And as for this "o they gave the Labour party a good economy" , well , even if I did agree with that, which I dont, in 8 years they would have fucked it up again by now, possibly even twice.
Finito.

edit sorry to seem abusive, thats not my intention, but christ, wake up and smell the roses. I can only assume the reason you talk like that is you were prolly a child when it was all going on...

Whilst some of what you say is true you have to realise things aren't so black and white. When Thatch came in our economy was totally fucked. We had rampant stagflation and a workforce generally unwilling to work. It's even been admitted that part of the motivation behind the economic policies of the early eighties was to make people less secure about their economic future, thereby making them more likely to see work as a chance to do something useful as opposed to a chance to sit around tossing out the next strike.

Don't get me wrong, Thatch was a cold-hearted cow who planned all the conflicts meticulusly, like the miners' strike, to make sure she won them, but she was what the country needed. If you think we could have had the prosperity and employment rates we have now without a HUGE curb in the rights of unions to be arsey whenever they felt like getting their names in the papers then you're not living on the correct planet.

Mr Blair knows the debt he owes to the Tories. Even Mr Brown does.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yes, and all the villages in Wales with no employment at all and massive heroin problems know what Thatcher did. All the people who were unemployed for years and years after in the midland and the north know too. Now we have as a country NO way of producing our own coal, as well as all the other things we cant do.
I was 20 in 1984 around the time of the miners strike. I didnt read about all this in a book, I saw it with my own eyes.
Mostly because I was in Nottingham on the piss at the time, and there were no police to stop me, but thats another story ... :)
The unions did need curbing, and big time, I agree with you there, but after that, and the Falklands thing, it went badly to shit. For years and years.
I maye vote tory one day, I dont beleive that you should stick with 1 party for a life time, this isnt football, but atm they are still the low life parasites they were in 1990, and Im glad they are still out of office.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Yoni says im not allowed too post on this thread because i might be to controversial for some peoples delicate minds to handle. :mad:

leggy

Probably Scottish
Wij, i wasn't being entirely serious :)

I tend to leave my real opinions for real life. I do agree for the most part but I do feel that something should only be taxed once (for the most part).

I wouldn't want somone to tax a blowback from my mate after 15 Asahi and a couple fat doobies.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
It;s like arguing over being shot in the face or having your head cut off.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
throdgrain said:
Yes, and all the villages in Wales with no employment at all and massive heroin problems know what Thatcher did.
Last i checked she may have been an iron fisted bitch but she never stuck a needle in anyones arm. Life in some areas of this country may be complete shite but people jab themselves.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Ormorof said:
:clap:

the tory's wanted to lower stamp duty yet if you understand basic economics you'll know that by lowering price you'll increase the price unless supply can expand fast enough to meet it (which, in the case of housing, it cant :p )

so its hardly and effective way of letting first time buyers onto the market as all it does is move the money from the government to the seller :p

The biggest current problem in the housing market is the boom in people buying to let over the last few years due to low mortgages, shoddy financial advice and increased equity of homeowners.

They've effectively bought up all the surplus housing stock and inflated the price of the market. Although it does mean that now for the first time in almost forever it's actually cheaper to rent than to buy a property.

The best way to deal with the property shortfall is to apply the Tax laws as intended and charge all these small time personal landlords income tax on their rental income. It won't create the same problems as raising interest rates, but will lead to a large amount of housing stock being sold back to live in buyers rather than wannabe yuppie scum ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
yaruar said:
The biggest current problem in the housing market is the boom in people buying to let over the last few years due to low mortgages, shoddy financial advice and increased equity of homeowners.

They've effectively bought up all the surplus housing stock and inflated the price of the market. Although it does mean that now for the first time in almost forever it's actually cheaper to rent than to buy a property.

The best way to deal with the property shortfall is to apply the Tax laws as intended and charge all these small time personal landlords income tax on their rental income. It won't create the same problems as raising interest rates, but will lead to a large amount of housing stock being sold back to live in buyers rather than wannabe yuppie scum ;)

Why are they "wannabe yuppie scum"? If you look around at pension performance, the state of the stock exchange, the lousy 'advice' related to all things monetary out there; well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that property is a good place to stick your spare cash. Sure, I'm sure there are plenty of wannabe slum landlords out there after a quick buck, but I know lots of people who've bought second properties because in the long run it'll be safer than the bank. In London, most people don't even make a profit on buy to let anymore, they just rent to cover as many of the costs as they can - its the capital growth they're interested in.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
yaruar said:
The best way to deal with the property shortfall is to apply the Tax laws as intended and charge all these small time personal landlords income tax on their rental income.

Wouldn't that just push rent prices up? </economy newb>

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah but if they wanted to charge 500 quid a month rent for somewhere before the potential tax law, doing it after they'd need to charge more to end up with that much money if said tax law was amended. If you see what I mean.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just to add fuel to the fire, Solicitors in Edinburgh have been in cahoots with one another to push prices of Edinburgh flats as favours for people so they can make more money on it.

Corrupt bunch of fuckwits.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
Why are they "wannabe yuppie scum"? If you look around at pension performance, the state of the stock exchange, the lousy 'advice' related to all things monetary out there; well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that property is a good place to stick your spare cash. Sure, I'm sure there are plenty of wannabe slum landlords out there after a quick buck, but I know lots of people who've bought second properties because in the long run it'll be safer than the bank. In London, most people don't even make a profit on buy to let anymore, they just rent to cover as many of the costs as they can - its the capital growth they're interested in.

Yeah it's a good investment due to the state of the housing market. But it's creating a 2 tier society blocking a lot of first time buyers out of the market. It's easier and cheaper these days to buy a second property than it is to buy a first. In terms of society in general it's creating huge housing problems, especially in urban areas.

It's amazing that if i wanted to buy a house noadays i'd actually have to seriously consider quitting my very well paid job and leaving london and taking a paycut and probably a step back on the career just to be able to buy.

DaGaffer

yaruar said:
Yeah it's a good investment due to the state of the housing market. But it's creating a 2 tier society blocking a lot of first time buyers out of the market. It's easier and cheaper these days to buy a second property than it is to buy a first. In terms of society in general it's creating huge housing problems, especially in urban areas.

It's amazing that if i wanted to buy a house noadays i'd actually have to seriously consider quitting my very well paid job and leaving london and taking a paycut and probably a step back on the career just to be able to buy.

Buy to let isn't creating a two-tier society; fear is. The fact is, most people are terrified that if they leave London and sell up, they'll never be able to afford to come back if they have to (and since no-one can rely on a job for life anymore, this is a distinct possibility), so you end up with a flow of people in one direction. I'd be happy to leave London, but it ain't gonna happen...

Vae

Resident Freddy
yaruar said:

All rental profit (i.e. income less expenses including the interest on your mortgage on your buy-to-let property) is currently taxable. Estate agents who arrange lettings are sent forms to complete to detail who they let properties on behalf of to try and stop people evading the tax. Of course there are always going to be some who arrange private lets and thus fall through the net.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
ECA said:
Whether you like or dislike the conservatives for their past stretch in power they fixed a lot of long term problems with the country despite the short term negative political currency. Maggie thatcher had balls of steel to do that and I have a huge respect for her on the economic side ( although she could have been a bit nicer on the social policy side ) - I full well understand I wasn't old enough to understand at the time, but I have read around the period quite a lot.

Hi Eca

Just a couple of points on this then I am bowing out.

Firstly - Ignoring the fact that during the Conservative 80s-90s we essentially gutted British Manufacturing Industry, we also pretty much destroyed Teachers, nurses and rushed into an ill-advised privatisation Government owned assets.

Didn't the conservative government also introduce poll tax and vat on fuel bills? But it's Labour who ramp taxes up? Ironic really considering the stealth tax added by the tories over the last few years.

I'll be the first to stand up and say how I despise some of the things that labour have done since they came to power, but where I can't see any logic is in the criticism of the economy. Economic growth has, in general, been fantastic under labour. Whilst we might not have had the yuppie greed highs of the tories, we haven't had those same greed fueled depressions either.

I do think, that the papering over of cracks in education, council spending, policing and health care is shocking though.

I'd like to leave with a question, are there any conservative voters here who think that a tory government would not have followed bush into war?

I personally think that ANY uk government wouldn't have followed the US, I think we're so entertwined these days that we didn't really have a choice.

M

G

I voted Labour, like i have done since i was old enough to vote, all the people that voted for a party that they knew would never get voted in (liberal democrats) have wasted their votes. I mean whats the point, you knew they would never win, voting liberal democrats is just like giving your vote to the tories.

Its good that the labour majority was slashed, blair _did_ need a kick up the azz. If only john smith were alive, he would have sorted the country out, i personally dont like tony blair and the chancellor is about the same, apart from those 2 who do you really know in the labour party that stands out as a leader.

DaGaffer

brooky said:
I voted Labour, like i have done since i was old enough to vote, all the people that voted for a party that they knew would never get voted in (liberal democrats) have wasted their votes. I mean whats the point, you knew they would never win, voting liberal democrats is just like giving your vote to the tories.

Its good that the labour majority was slashed, blair _did_ need a kick up the azz. If only john smith were alive, he would have sorted the country out, i personally dont like tony blair and the chancellor is about the same, apart from those 2 who do you really know in the labour party that stands out as a leader.

How can you say they wasted their votes and then in the next breath say its good that Labour have a reduced majority? It wasn't just the Tories that took seats from Labour. Also, even if you don't think your candidate is going to get elected in your constituency, you should still 'waste your vote' because it shows up the ludicrousness of first past the post. Labour have a mandate to run the country based on only 1% more votes than the Tories; its fucking outrageous tbh.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Vae said:
just a quickie but I remembered what I was going to say ;)

Did you know that the current constituencies which are so 'undemocratic' were originally changed by the Conservative governent to consolidate traditionally conservative areas. That's the reason that Coventry was moved into the West Midlands (traditonally a Labour area) from Warwickshire 20 years ago. The Warwickshire postal depot is even located in the centre of Coventry :)

I agree that the current way of electing governments is daft, but I do chuckle when I see something that a party have done to manipulate vote results bite them on the arse.

:)

M

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Fucking class. First look in for almost a year and it's still full of the usual.

Everyone has degrees in Economics and Political theory now! YAY!

Oh wait that still means jack.

PS. Hi.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Deadmanwalking said:
Fucking class. First look in for almost a year and it's still full of the usual.

PS. Hi.

... ey! :D

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
Deadmanwalking said:

PS. Hi.

I have a Phd in Intarweb bs tbh :)))

M

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Deadmanwalking said:

PS. Hi.

Fucking hell, it's DMW!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Deadmanwalking said:

PS. Hi.

No, I have a degree in Management, which means I have excellent people skills. So fuck off.

P.S Hi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom