Who are the legends of daoc?

Aeicaan

One of Freddy's beloved
omg

omg novamir, those screens, still remember the first time i saw em.. omg feels like a lifetime ago :/

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
leg·end
n.
1. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
2. A body or collection of such stories.
3. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.

could write a long story but in the end its personal who you think is a legend or not, so you can bring up as many arguments as you like (false or not), it won't change a persons opinion anyways

and why would you even bother?

Marc

FH is my second home
Wonder what happened to Karam. The only true legend of this game

Dorimor1

Banned
Ken/old Evita/old Rambo/old Arraudry were great players but I am not sure about the term 'legend'

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Kagato said:
I couldn't agree more, I find it funny how some people are STILL voting for players that gave up and quit the game back in the early SI days if not earlier.

While this might be true, there is also the other side. Not all people who don't play Excalibur quit.

Let's take Qte who was mentioned, he doesn't play on Excalibur anymore, but there is no "old Qte", it's still the same person, just playing on a totally different server/realm. The acco got borrowed from a friend from time to time, but who doesn't do that if he has friends playing the same game =))

I might add though that I think the only legendary thing about him was, that he spoke the fewest words in /gu ever =)) ( I mean, a lot of people could be mentioned for deathspam =) ) Nice guy if you talk to him though =)

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
leg·end
n.
1. An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
2. A body or collection of such stories.
3. A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.

could write a long story but in the end its personal who you think is a legend or not, so you can bring up as many arguments as you like (false or not), it won't change a persons opinion anyways

and why would you even bother?

hehe..i wont destroy their dreams and fantasys vodka...i wont...i promise:p
And everyone can think what they want. But just think the word legendary means someone acomplished something. Otherwise we can have a "whos my buddy thread" would work as well:p
Cause half the people all list(including me) are people they played with and liked:) and thats all in many cases..thats all we meant:)

fl3a

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:
I couldn't agree more, I find it funny how some people are STILL voting for players that gave up and quit the game back in the early SI days if not earlier.

The game was completely different back then, and arguebly alot easier, its a whole different ball game now and theres no telling how they would of adapted if at all. Nostalgia is nice but you should not compare the people that have stuck with it and adapted to the game with 'ghosts' of the past, someone who quit after 2 years is not a legend.

isnt that like saying that sports legends of the past arent actually legends, because all sports have developed and most probably the old uber roxstar people wouldnt stand a chance today?

gwal

Fledgling Freddie
Kagato said:

The game was completely different back then, and arguebly alot easier, its a whole different ball game now and theres no telling how they would of adapted if at all. Nostalgia is nice but you should not compare the people that have stuck with it and adapted to the game with 'ghosts' of the past, someone who quit after 2 years is not a legend.

leg·end ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ljnd)
n.

An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
A body or collection of such stories.
A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.

An inscription or a title on an object, such as a coin.
An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
An explanatory table or list of the symbols appearing on a map or chart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from Old French legende, from Medieval Latin (lcti) legenda, (lesson) to be read, from Latin, feminine gerundive of legere, to read. See leg- in Indo-European Roots.]
Usage Note: Legend comes from the Latin adjective legenda, “for reading, to be read,” which referred only to written stories, not to traditional stories transmitted orally from generation to generation. This restriction also applied to the English word legend when it was first used in the late 14th century in reference to written accounts of saints' lives, but ever since the 15th century legend has been used to refer to traditional stories as well. Today a legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a storyanyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the media than by oral tradition. Thus we speak of the legendary accomplishments of a major-league baseball star or the legendary voice of a famous opera singer.

Marc

FH is my second home
Going by the post above, a legend will be someone who sticks in your mind for a long time. Only people from this game who will stick in my mind are

Karam
My Synergy guildies
Nibor
Dreami (for being a grade A twat)

So these are my daoc legends.

ebenezer

Fledgling Freddie
gets a bit silly when we start dictating the meaning of words in a forum were people uses rox0r b0xors pawnz0rs etc...but hey:p

"Today a legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a storyanyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the media than by oral tradition. Thus we speak of the legendary accomplishments of a major-league baseball star or the legendary voice of a famous opera singer."

That is what i come to think of when legend comes to mind...

I stick to like the legends of the players that been here for ages, and are still around...well done people:)
One such person i can come to think about is our gm horlely. I didnt know horlely very good before i joined cla, but a good friend and one of the most honest and good hearted people i met in this game. He also ignored all the leetness and jellousy in this game and have tried to create a guild that doesnt care about all that. Major achievement and he is one to adjust and rolls with all the punches in this game...well done my friend:)

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Horlely's an amazing dude. I'll never forget those outings in alb-land. He and Brodia were the only visuals that were regularly grouping my gimp elf :)

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Well from most stories ect ppl only become legend AFTER they gone:)While u play are feared and classed as great but its only after ppl gone when u can say xxx was a legend in his time ect.Thats how i see the word anyway.
Its why myths and legends normally go hand in hand alot,normally the ppl aint half as good as the stories but the fact ppl are telling stories or remebering them is what makes them a legend.Like VF and others have said its all personal opinion :)

gwal

Fledgling Freddie
ebenezer said:
gets a bit silly when we start dictating the meaning of words in a forum were people uses rox0r b0xors pawnz0rs etc...but hey:p

just did it to show that the "ghosts" of the past are often the legends of the present.

Loren Soth

Fledgling Freddie
The player i feared when i was playing mid/pryd about 4 years ago maybe more was the original nair or niar the infil how when i saw his deathspam my first thought was normally oh shit i am dead meat :)

but i do not have thus far in my time in alb that i have fought as i not been rvring as i used to.

Marc

FH is my second home
Loren Soth said:
but i do not have thus far in my time in alb that i have fought as i not been rvring as i used to.

come again?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Icebreaker[URL=http://imageshack.us said:
tanzen5yz.jpg
[/URL]

Druid tree pet, biggest legend of all :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Marc said:
come again?

Here comes that feeling again
you're always around me
This island life never ends
it just circles inside me
and when we're older
we'll go back to being friends
but oh,

Gilgalad

Loyal Freddie
4 years on...
So many names mentioned in this thread, so many many memories, some friends we mourned at their passing irl, a few I would like to mention as a hib member of Na Fianna and Celtic Fist...

Lanvar,Gray,Joxer,Nicky Nook,Caildia,Tank and Vulcan whom I spent many many nights with and had so much fun
Alpha and Bee plagued my early toon life and laterly Mallus and Jimmythepost too much to handle for a poor ranger (tho i once got Alpha with B1lbo my NS)
I remember the first kill of the Amalgam Parth at parth farm and Tylar getting to 50 before anyone else not long after, what a fantastic game we had its a shame it has faded
Rolled a ranger in awe of Eleasias (b4 he was even 50) and suffered the consequence of his success with subsequent nerfs!!

Yes it was messy, unbalanced, poorly executed and run by the french but what a game ! Can anyone say that you get the same kick from anything that followed? Passions ran high at all levels ....what a testament to the effect it had on all of us and what great friendships and enmities were created.

So thankyou all who played and died and played again the best 6 years of gaming I have ever had

Gilgalad,Bilb0,Fluke,Psionic,Glorfindel,Baliac et al
Na Fianna
Hib
Excal

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Nice bump ya did there.

I can't believe some of those screenshots still show up either :p

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
4 years on...
So many names mentioned in this thread, so many many memories, some friends we mourned at their passing irl, a few I would like to mention as a hib member of Na Fianna and Celtic Fist...

Lanvar,Gray,Joxer,Nicky Nook,Caildia,Tank and Vulcan whom I spent many many nights with and had so much fun
Alpha and Bee plagued my early toon life and laterly Mallus and Jimmythepost too much to handle for a poor ranger (tho i once got Alpha with B1lbo my NS)
I remember the first kill of the Amalgam Parth at parth farm and Tylar getting to 50 before anyone else not long after, what a fantastic game we had its a shame it has faded
Rolled a ranger in awe of Eleasias (b4 he was even 50) and suffered the consequence of his success with subsequent nerfs!!

Yes it was messy, unbalanced, poorly executed and run by the french but what a game ! Can anyone say that you get the same kick from anything that followed? Passions ran high at all levels ....what a testament to the effect it had on all of us and what great friendships and enmities were created.

So thankyou all who played and died and played again the best 6 years of gaming I have ever had

Gilgalad,Bilb0,Fluke,Psionic,Glorfindel,Baliac et al
Na Fianna
Hib
Excal

DAoC is still very much alive and kicking. Excal may be a distant memory, but Ywain boasts a 3k+ population :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom