which server type?

Server Type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
As per an earlier post.

Which Server type will you be playing on PvP/PvE when retail comes?

:m00:

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Battlegrounds will, unless im mistaken, mean that PvP servers are unrestricted pvp and normal servers are much like DAoC is now, except with instanced rvr.

There are no PvE servers in wow that im aware of :)

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
PvP on the PvE servers is usually declared in WoW as being more consensual than the free for all that is the PvP servers (faction safe zones notwithstanding) so i guess those could be interpreted as PvE.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
There is no interpretation to be done whatsoever.

Official distinction is Normal, PvP and RP servers. (notice the lack of a so-called PvE among them)

FuzzyLogic

This is true, though what is normal. In my opinion a 'normal' server on WoW should be PvP, since the two teams (A&H) are basically at each others throats now. Roleplay servers should be be PvP with the exception being the PvE servers (described as more consensual PvP rather than outright war).

That isn't how it is, I concede that quite willingly, although my interpretation is that PvE should be the exception and not the rule :)

I also changed the poll just for you Whisperess :fluffle:

;)

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
I agree Fuzzy Logic, AvH should be "normal".

Ah well nevermind, my guild and I will be playing on a PvP server for sure. Current beta numbers would also suggest that the "abnormal" PvP servers are the most popular.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
There will also be RP servers, shouldn't that be in the poll too?

FuzzyLogic

Yea I considered that, and i'd be playing on one meself if they were implemented. The thing is there that Blizzard Europe haven't confirmed that there's definately RP servers being available at launch, so I didn't include it in the first place, maybe I should.

Meh, it won't hurt :)

Edit; Bear in mind that the RP servers will likely be PvE (normal).

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
FuzzyLogic said:
Yea I considered that, and i'd be playing on one meself if they were implemented. The thing is there that Blizzard Europe haven't confirmed that there's definately RP servers being available at launch, so I didn't include it in the first place, maybe I should.

Meh, it won't hurt :)

Edit; Bear in mind that the RP servers will likely be PvE (normal).

Aye, this was really what i meant.

Didn't consider servers non-european as they arent really relevant to the poll.

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Normal, liked the rvr-system daoc had and with the battlegrounds the normal systems seem to come as close as you can get to it.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Ethiraseth said:
Normal, liked the rvr-system daoc had and with the battlegrounds the normal systems seem to come as close as you can get to it.

Except that you can xp with the people you may have to kill later on...Not my cup of tea as it becomes more like duelling. The theater of DAoC was part of the attraction, so I think the PvP servers come closer.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
The (real) difference between Normal and PvP servers is that on the PvP servers, you can view the factions as feeling true hatred for eachother; whereas on the Normal servers, they are just survivors defending themselves against invaders.

Thus, meeting the other faction on neutral soil would perhaps be irritating, but they aren't invading your lands and are thus not your enemy as they pose no threat to you.

Atleast, that's my view on the subject.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
One thing i like about pvp servers are that they add a reason to group up or at least move together when you move through contested areas with a high enemy presence, even if your only there to quest, for mutual protection.
I imagine the bonds between the players will grow stronger on the pvp servers, as on the pve ones you have very little mechanical reason to adventure together unless its for an instance dungeon or just because your old friends.

Ethiraseth

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
One thing i like about pvp servers are that they add a reason to group up or at least move together when you move through contested areas with a high enemy presence, even if your only there to quest, for mutual protection.
I imagine the bonds between the players will grow stronger on the pvp servers, as on the pve ones you have very little mechanical reason to adventure together unless its for an instance dungeon or just because your old friends.
Might be true, was grouped a bit with a level 9 warrior (being level 7 myself) and i seemd to get less exp for killing level 11 mobs togother then i got solo for killing level 7 mobs. :eek7:

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Ethiraseth said:
Might be true, was grouped a bit with a level 9 warrior (being level 7 myself) and i seemd to get less exp for killing level 11 mobs togother then i got solo for killing level 7 mobs. :eek7:
Two questions:

1. How much faster were you able to kill the monsters?

2. How much did your survivability increase?

Experience over time is what matters, if you completely disregard the social factors (i.e: fun) of grouping.

If you aren't getting the same or an increased experience gain over time, you're fighting the wrong monsters. If you aren't having fun, you're grouping the wrong people.

Maghica

One of Freddy's beloved
When I'm in a group, I tend to forget about the xp :) it's the fun that counts :clap: What is all that xp gonna get you in the end...if you don't have friends to fight with!

Bone_Idle

Fledgling Freddie
The xp bar seems to move a hell of alot faster when grouped because you spend less time looking at it. Warlock / Priest duo seems to rock though. Taking on 2x level 26 Elites when we were level 27 with no threat whatsoever.

phandaal

Fledgling Freddie
Prolly will happen like in daoc: most say will play in pvp servers but play normal servers instead. F

Anyway the differences are not great between normal and pvp servers in wow, if i'm not wrong in pvp servers you cant attack enemys in their own lands but if they are in pvp mode, and you can't attack members of your own faction. In normal server you can set up pvp mode or attack enemy NPCs and wait to the battle with players starts, but you cant attack no-pvp enemys.

I bet population will be 60% normal servers, 30% pvp and 10% RP, even if the poll shows most ppl want pvp servers

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Zedenz said:
Except that you can xp with the people you may have to kill later on...Not my cup of tea as it becomes more like duelling. The theater of DAoC was part of the attraction, so I think the PvP servers come closer.
Can you even xp with the other faction on normal servers? Can't say I ever tried - generally when horde were around alliance areas or vice versa everyone just set pvp mode and had a big old fight. :p
Besides which alliance chars can't understand orcish so communication is a bit difficult. :p

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Didn't think so - as I understand it the difference between Normal and PvP is that on PvP servers you are always flagged for PvP in contested zones, while on Normal you are only flagged when you want to be. I prefer Normal as I don't like the idea of being griefed at random when I just want a quiet evening. :p

Xarnus

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Didn't think so - as I understand it the difference between Normal and PvP is that on PvP servers you are always flagged for PvP in contested zones, while on Normal you are only flagged when you want to be. I prefer Normal as I don't like the idea of being griefed at random when I just want a quiet evening. :p

Same here, i dont get how it doesnt annoy other people when your just running around doing quests and suddenly get jumped by a lvl 40+ rogue who then takes joy in camping your corpse. Hence the reason my choise is going to normal :cheers:

Ralgedi Smurf

One of Freddy's beloved
Bone_Idle said:
The xp bar seems to move a hell of alot faster when grouped because you spend less time looking at it. Warlock / Priest duo seems to rock though. Taking on 2x level 26 Elites when we were level 27 with no threat whatsoever.

warrior and priest duo are very nice for elites aswell, me(lvl36 Priest) and a lvl 38 warrior took out a lvl 42 elite, took some time but its wasent that hard infact :)

Nightchill

Can't get enough of FH
Danya said:
as I understand it the difference between Normal and PvP is that on PvP servers you are always flagged for PvP in contested zones, while on Normal you are only flagged when you want to be. I prefer Normal as I don't like the idea of being griefed at random when I just want a quiet evening. :p

sums it up nicely :)
/agree

Ziva

Fluffy
I was still in doubt untill the last beta evening however after me and some others (Alliance) went for a nice trip to Ogrimmar with the Zeppelin i found out i'm quite happy on the PvE server. We had some fun killing Hordes and be killed by them but when there is nowhere to release due to corpse camping and the nearest graveyard is beeing camped also it kinda makes things less funny.

I like to be able to hide a bit untill my pvp flag has gone off and i also like to be able to "thank" the enemy after a nice fight without continuesly beeing slaughtered. Besides that, i think the PvP arenda will be fun for a while and i'm sure Blizzard will implement some nice PvP options a little bit later on (like battlegrounds) which will give enough PvP fun. And like Danya said, i like to be able to choose how i want to play and exploring all the lands without having to worry about beeing attacked is one of them :)

But respect to those that will play PvP :clap:

Maghica

One of Freddy's beloved
The same reason why I ran away screaming from Camlann.
I like to adventure solo, discover new sights, go after those far quests and on a PvP-server that would be a little too dangerous imo. It's not that I mind trying 2 times...but when they start camping it sorta ruins my fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom