Phones Which new phone?

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Would be nice to see HTC get a crack at a Nexus phone. I've always found that their handsets feel more "premium" than the alternatives from Samsung, Sony and LG.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Would be nice to see HTC get a crack at a Nexus phone. I've always found that their handsets feel more "premium" than the alternatives from Samsung, Sony and LG.
Doubt that is likely to happen as long as they still ship Windows Phones.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Doubt it will happen again you mean :)

Nexus One was HTC. Then HTC shit over Google by releasing identical hardware as the Desire at a lower price point.

Nexus 4 is a lot of phone for not a lot of money. Google are not messing about with pricing at the moment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
carephone-warehouse-beverley.jpg

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
The Nexus 4, btw, has a HSDPA+42. Which is 42Mb/s GSM. LTE is 300Mb/s.

HSPA+ is supported by Three O2 and Vodafone afaik, LTE is only EE.

Due to the new nature of LTE the speeds you'll get on the current gen chips wont break much beyond hspa+. They also nom battery like its going out of fashion due to the 7 (seven!) antennas used to create a connection.

So the new Nexus should give you 42Mb/s in most cities on HSPA+ enabled providers.
I'm a bit concerned about the outer shell of the Nexus4. Glass front and rear looks nice but the edging is what i'm thinking about, i can't tell if its plastic or a oxodised metal like the One S/X. Probably plastic which is a shame.

Still excellent price for the phone. I'm in two minds about getting one now or waiting a while and seeing if a 32gb version comes along..... One S is doing fine atm, will see if 4.2 gets ported rapidly or not!

Sadly it doesn't work like that :)

4G/LTE don't really mean anything (neither did 3G), HSPDA is rated to about 21Mbit but you'll probably never see that on a UK network as they're too congested at the cell tower.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm not sure, but I think I'd like my next phone to have an LED notification light.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Lamp said:
I'm not sure, but I think I'd like my next phone to have an LED notification light.

Everything you say your next phone should have, the s3 has...

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Totally agree with that, the HTC does have one.

Does the S3 Dys, I know the S2 didn't have one and it pissed me off.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Everything you say your next phone should have, the s3 has...

I'm kind of looking for these kind of features

- multi-colour LED notification light
- I shouldn't have to remove the battery to take the micro SD card out
- a screen I can see perfectly well in bright daylight. This is what lets the Galaxy S2 down.
- an RGB (non Super Amoled) screen with realistic colour saturation, access to colour calibration settings, and a pixel density of at least 400 ppi
- camera with fast shutter speed.
- 4G & NFC ready
- something that feels well-built and good in the hand. Like the HTC Wildfire, for example.
- I wanna be able to hook it up to a TV, or computer monitor, so some form of TV/PC-out connector

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ok. The S3 can't do all of that but it covers a lot of it!

And you are being very fussy!! :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Aye, but seeing as the next phone's going to cost me £500+, and I'm in no rush to replace my S2, I'm happy to wait a bit

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Am I the only one around here who thinks the Nexus 4 looks like a dated handset already?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Having a phone with 400ppi means you will have loads of pixels you can't actually see...means you paying for something you don't need.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
yet there's an obvious difference in clarity between the iphone's retina display and, say, the S2...

soze

I am a FH squatter
But that is the point the Retina it is supposed to be the the exact right PPI for the human eye. So something with a higher pixel density will be indistinguishable to the majority of people.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
But that is the point the Retina it is supposed to be the the exact right PPI for the human eye. So something with a higher pixel density will be indistinguishable to the majority of people.

Exactly. There is only so much the human eye can see so even if you had 800 ppi it would look the same as a retina screen.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I'm kind of looking for these kind of features

- multi-colour LED notification light
Yes, the S3 has this.
- I shouldn't have to remove the battery to take the micro SD card out
You don't have to. The micro-SD card can be removed without moving the battery.
- a screen I can see perfectly well in bright daylight. This is what lets the Galaxy S2 down.
The screen is *ok* to see in daylight, but any polarised glasses or screen protectors makes it difficult.
- an RGB (non Super Amoled) screen with realistic colour saturation, access to colour calibration settings, and a pixel density of at least 400 ppi
You're just throwing numbers around to make sure that no current phone can hit your exacting standard. ONE phone has a ppi over 400 and that's the HTC J Butterfly. Good luck getting one outside of Japan.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density
- camera with fast shutter speed.
S3 has a fast reaction from touch to taking. It's as good as instant as far as I can tell. It also has a fast exposure in bright light giving pin sharp images.
- 4G & NFC ready
Yes (LTE) and Yes. You're on EE and in one of the 11 cities they've launched 4G in?
- something that feels well-built and good in the hand. Like the HTC Wildfire, for example.
This one is purely subjective. All I can say of my impression is that the S3 is lighter than I expected it to be for the size it is.
- I wanna be able to hook it up to a TV, or computer monitor, so some form of TV/PC-out connector
S3 can do this with an MHL cable. S3 also has USB OTG (On-The-Go) which means that with the right cable, you can hook up a mouse, keyboard or even USB drives.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Really??

I don't have any image burn on mine. And I'm always using it.

Is it a specific app that's caused that?
Yeah, I guess it's using Gmaps a lot as satnav. Taking a picture of it with a camera is difficult as it is subtle, but clearly visible to the eye.
In fact I just downloaded Burn In Tester Pro and I can see it clearly. Change to a blue tone and I can even read words permanently burnt in to the top left corner. It's Gmaps alright.

I'm going to go into an O2 shop to see about starting the process of getting it replaced under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom