Which class takes most skill to play?

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
The game is more about class and siturational knowledge then 'skill' I think. The more you know about what you can do and whats availible to you vs what your enemy can and is likely to do and what you need to counter it.

However in terms of difficulty i'd say classes with the most tools that they need to use all the time are more difficult to master (NOT the same as classes with alot of tools they don't need to use due to being one button over powered classes.)
Main example would probably be a minstrel, its more quickbars then I can be bothered with personally.
In general on a more broader sense any soloer will need more skill (or knowledge depending how you look at it) simply due to having no back up and having to perform all functions and roles his or herself, theres alot more tricks you need to know.

As for least skilled, bonedancers and spiritmaster for mid, spamming one button whilst pets do all the work of a whole group for you is not difficult to do. In alb wizards are probably easiest, as they have only one role to fill, damage.In hib probably chanter for similer reasons.

Kais

Banned
rm is by far the easiest class i've played grouped, its a little harder solo since you have no support. Wizard and other casters are probably the same. Hardest would probably be a healer (m/p spec) since it has a lot of utility and most of this needs to be used on a regular basis and at the right time.

Mazzaca

Fledgling Freddie
My opinion might differ from the crowd, but I think that solo sorcerers are very easy to play, you don't need much skill, there's various examples for unskilled, but high RR sorcs out there.

They got a boltrange AEmezz which is somehow the IWIN button versus other caster classes with a more restricted mezz, considering that most sorcs have 9/10% range which makes it a total range of 2xxx. Also, their lifetap does quite nice damage if good specced. Add MoC2/3 to that and well :)

I'd say firewizards are easy to play aswell, due to their high damage compared to other boltrange casters (e.g RM).

I'd share the opinion of the crowd that bards are hardest to play tho, as they're always solo and have to carry on alot of responsibility, use their abilities wisely etc. It's idiotic to say they're a "2 button class".

PS; No I haven't played a sorc this far, the above is based on my personal experience when having fought sorcerers.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
i don't think you can really say class x or y is easy to play, cus most of the skill in daoc is general knowledge about various things... some really important ones being-

1) recognising class/spec instantly
2) positioning
3) avoiding interrupts
4) which target to pick/interrupt/shear
5) being aware of the situation, being aware of which spells/ability to use when

i probably forgot some, but id say people that master all of the above are already more than halfway to being a really good player :p just takes a while to get used to which spells to use.. and yeah i guess a firewiz is easier to play than a mend/pac healer, but to play both good you need the general knowledge which is the biggest part of 'skill' in daoc

just imo! :)

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Most - anyone who truely solos (and I don't mean buffbotted)

Least - Sorcerer, come on CC and that damage output? fuck off.

Eregion

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
1) recognising class/spec instantly
2) positioning
3) avoiding interrupts
4) which target to pick/interrupt/shear
5) being aware of the situation, being aware of which spells/ability to use when
6. Reactions :p

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Kami said:
Who cares if you're botted? 90% of the time when I died solo it was to a FG, buffs dont make a difference there.

Any class (cept sorc) solo is hard, just cos of the shear persistance you need to put in to actually find some decent fights

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Rulke said:
Who cares if you're botted? 90% of the time when I died solo it was to a FG, buffs dont make a difference there.

Any class (cept sorc) solo is hard, just cos of the shear persistance you need to put in to actually find some decent fights

but you didn't die to the soloers on the fact that you were buffed? (dunno if you were tho, but i would strongly assume)

you have to look at it somewhat as vf said, cept maybe that reactions, and skills are a prereq. to determine wether a class is easy or hard to play. assuming you're good with any char it's possible to define which class is hard easy to play... imo :<

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:

Right cause theres so many unbuffed soloers out there?

I think I remember killing 1 unbuffed solo person since NF was released and before then I could count the amount of unbuffed soloers I killed on one hand.

And to be honest, even then the chances are its somone who logged out at a keep or had their BB go ld.

You cannot class buffs as an advantage anymore, 99.9% of the time your fighting other buffed players, buff shearing aside.

Kwidz

Fledgling Freddie
its very to solo with theurgist also, not only sorc ;o

Aeoric

Fledgling Freddie
I can only speak with any experience for Albion..

I think a group Minstrel is VERY hard to play well,
and very easy to play badly.

There are too many options/q-bars, and your role is
relatively ill-defined (interrupter - but not as easy to do
'effectively' as say a cabby - nor as long-lasting) so you
have to take chances with your interrupts in regards to
when you deploy them/blow them all at once etc..

The insanely long cast timer on AE mezz makes it only
useful in rare situations and you are easily interrupted
whilst trying to AE interrupt.

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
Least - Sorcerer, come on CC and that damage output? fuck off.

least - Healer imo.. cc and being able to heal for that much!? omg, its the most overpowered class in the game!

Saveus

Fledgling Freddie
I think that any good char dont matta class is easy mode in certain situations and a bit harder in other. Being effective/picking best targets/interupts/being MA i think takes alot of time to get good at so i pick cabby for hardmode!!! and easymode= avalonian 2nd pally.. lolol then again in soloing with moc,or somthing with a cabby could easily be considered mega easy!

waok`whips

Fledgling Freddie
All classes have a level of skill too play, but the real skill is determined by the person who plays the class, the class doesnt pick him/her.

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
on a more serious note.

BG shield tank when fighting gank grp v gank grp, needs alot of speed and fast reactions.

Shammy/bard, interuptin and keep a grp in check can be hard i guess and requires a good eye on the battle.

being a MA tank, it can be very easy or very hard depending on how mcuh effort u put in each fight. if u play crap u lose if u play good u win. u can say firewizard is simple yet there is a huge diffrent between a good firewiz and a crap firewiz, despite the fact that they just have dd's and bolts.

Like VF said earlier the most important things are reactions,avoiding interrupts and watching fight etc.

Bonelamencer

One of Freddy's beloved
It's harder to be a good BGer/guardian then good main CC imo.But CCs affect the fight more then other classes.
least skilled - assisting tank :p

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Most prolly Pac Healer and Bard

Least.. oh well, everybody knows what class.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
need to define "hard" really..

hard to play to full effectiveness?
hard to win with?

A sorcerer is hard to play to full effectivenes but once you're RR5 and ML9 they have so many abilities to use it's not nearly as hard to win as say with a smite cleric...

First definition:
Minstrels - they have so many toys, I'm sure there's equally hard to play chars in mid/hib but I don't know those realms so well.

Second definition:
Painworking necromancer sans buffbot

Least difficult to play with full effectiveness:
I'd guess any nuker type, or any light tank.

Least difficult to win with:
depends on the situation, but till warlocks arrive it's bonedancers for 1vs1 closely followed by sorcerers (they have to be ML9 and RR5 ;)) and enchanters.
And smite clerics of course because we're so uber... honest guvnor... ok not really :( :cry:

Marc

FH is my second home
Hardest - any support class (inc paladins)

Easiest - BD, one button class

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:
Right cause theres so many unbuffed soloers out there?

I think I remember killing 1 unbuffed solo person since NF was released and before then I could count the amount of unbuffed soloers I killed on one hand.

And to be honest, even then the chances are its somone who logged out at a keep or had their BB go ld.

You cannot class buffs as an advantage anymore, 99.9% of the time your fighting other buffed players, buff shearing aside.

Yes there are unbuffed players out there, not everyone has access to two accounts or a computer that can run two (or multiple PCs). There are also plenty of non-level 50s, they might not solo but they play in groups, that adds to the skill required also and perhaps more than a little luck.

Whilst we're talking about it how about people who play with non-perfect templates - you know the ones that actually dont have 200000hours to level artifacts or farm for cash? Surely those even with BB require far more skill than a hell of a lot of DAOC "rvrers" and no I'd never call myself a RvR expert or even and enthusiast, I enjoy it but unlike many can't be arsed trying to be l33t in a game.

Roadie

Fledgling Freddie
Mazzaca said:
They got a boltrange AEmezz which is somehow the IWIN button versus other caster classes with a more restricted mezz, considering that most sorcs have 9/10% range which makes it a total range of 2xxx. Also, their lifetap does quite nice damage if good specced. Add MoC2/3 to that and well :)

Yust fyi if u also get moc then the sorc cant possiably beat you since you out dmg him lifetap vs lifetap.

id say easyest is probly a ml9 rr5/5+ toa'd solo sorc with a buffed pet and all its abilitys up (tho for some reason SOI is a bit unpredictable when your solo) :p if everything isnt up then probably a bd.....but it is very hard to say since certain classes can totaly dominate certain other classes.

ie you could say a light eld is pretty close to sorc, nearsight is insta win vs all other casters who dont have it, rr5 ra is a get outa jail free card vs tanks stealthers and casters rly (run outa range) and u got AE mez and stun :p

Eld can kill sorcs and bd's (the classes of choice in the easyest colum) without much trouble.

Basicly all classes can do well when played well solo though (other than maybe the healing classes /ponder) its just some have more potential if played well.

In a group id say the hardest class to play is a pac healer....so many jobs to do and so much to concentrate on. But at the same time id say its the most powerfull.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
silly question -

play, play well, or play with success?

every class is just as easy to play, just select char and play ~~

play well .... well tbh, bonedancer is one of the hardest classes to play well. and sorc aint exactly easy either.

play successfully...well, the less op, the harder it is. wont be bard anyway, probably a gimped to shit class like armsman or something ~~

just because its easy to perform well with a class, doesnt mean its easy to play. its just that some classes perform well even if you dont utilize 10% of em..

edit: didnt bother to read before posted, notice filmgoblin has posted the same

AmeinoN

One of Freddy's beloved
Most of you are off topic ,talking about tactics etc- anyway,
most-paladin
less-eldritch
><

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
if you are going to put links in your sig, dont bother with geoshitties

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Kami said:
Yes there are unbuffed players out there, not everyone has access to two accounts or a computer that can run two (or multiple PCs). There are also plenty of non-level 50s, they might not solo but they play in groups, that adds to the skill required also and perhaps more than a little luck.

Whilst we're talking about it how about people who play with non-perfect templates - you know the ones that actually dont have 200000hours to level artifacts or farm for cash? Surely those even with BB require far more skill than a hell of a lot of DAOC "rvrers" and no I'd never call myself a RvR expert or even and enthusiast, I enjoy it but unlike many can't be arsed trying to be l33t in a game.

I never said there werent unbuffed people out there, nor that people always run around with full buffs.
Im saying that practically all people that actually try to solo usually have access to buffs, it might not be there BB they might not even be running the bot themselves, they might just be begging buffs or relying on timered, but 99% of people seriously trying to solo out there are buffed.
And even if you do solo without buffs it doesn't make you any more skillful, just less likely to have a chance, and if you do still manage to win, you just had a more powerful character to start with.

Skill in this game is just a delusion people create to make themselves feel talented.

Mazzaca

Fledgling Freddie
Roadie said:
Yust fyi if u also get moc then the sorc cant possiably beat you since you out dmg him lifetap vs lifetap.

I'm aware of that. Tho it's not totally true, since if the sorc first mezzes you (assuming "I" only got purge1), then sends this ML9 / jugger (cmon, 75% of all sorcs have that :p) pet on you and lifetaps you twice before you get to cast once (you've to trigger moc, might get stunned by the pet etc), he's ~600 damage in the lead, which sorta guarantees that he wins unless "I" got MoC3 and he got MoC2, tho it's been vice versa mostly.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
Kagato said:
Skill in this game is just a delusion people create to make themselves feel talented.

I was thinking of the same thing till i started having enough toys to play with. Then after loosing a fight sometimes you think, "damn, I'd won if I had done this or that". Well, doing that is what skill is about.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Gear said:
I was thinking of the same thing till i started having enough toys to play with. Then after loosing a fight sometimes you think, "damn, I'd won if I had done this or that". Well, doing that is what skill is about.

Or you just start running in 3+ ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom