Where did the pop go? ... oh yea... lich king *sigh*

Adlatus Hellbringer

Fledgling Freddie
Logged on last night, granted it was like midnight, put myself in for a sc qeue and nothing popped for like 1 hour. When the sc finally popped we had a full Order side but 0 destro lol.

On logging out I noticed the server was showing as low along with every other server bar one which was medium.

Has anyone else noticed a large drop off since Lich King?

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
No.Every friday. saturday, sunday on WAR is dead quiet. Nothing new.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
It's been quiet since people had to start paying to play.

Spookie

Fledgling Freddie
I have to admit I'm one of those who left for WotLK (for the PvE content- which has seem to got it's edge back, in short I'm enjoying it much more than TBC. But the PvP is still dire as ever). But I'd happily return once they have fixed up the engine and sorted out the content. :/

Afran

Part of the furniture
I logged on to KEP at 3am on Friday and got a warband of 4 groups together and took back 4 keeps, dead? I don't think so.

Kahvi

Loyal Freddie
I logged on to KEP at 3am on Friday and got a warband of 4 groups together and took back 4 keeps, dead? I don't think so.

wow a warband.. seams like theres a maximum 250 online primetime tho.
looks like WAR need to start clustering allready imo, people are leaving as i post.

Spookie

Fledgling Freddie

That's grand. But the problems still exist no matter how much the fanbois try to beat their chest. There is no denying when I left my friends list, which started at 20 was at then, 4 regulars. The guild I was in dropped from 40 online everyday to 17-23.

It's by no means dead. But it's certainly falling off the radar at a hell of a pace.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Thats KEP though, one of the better populated servers since launch. Hopefully this free transfer will sort out some of the pops on the servers, though ours wasn't in it (karak hirn). If our server feels like a ghost town most of the time I hate to think what the servers that are in the underpopulated list are like.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Friday + Saturday nights most of our guys are in the pub. Or hoping for sex, possibly even with someone else.

Lots of people giving WoTLK a look-see. I've also done this. I've never said anything but I'll be running both games. WoW PvE has always been quite nice, just the PvP is shite.

So far, the PvE is same old same old, not even that nice graphics...except the dungeons. Some of them have been really well designed and have some nice eye candy. The outside questing is a bit meh and I just can't be bothered with it.

Different game, different endgame. Already the WAR community is shaping up to be better than the WoW community ever has been.

Jaberwocky

Loyal Freddie
Strange we've had non stop t4 Orvr every night since Wotlk kicked off, perhaps you should look in the rvr lakes rather than waiting in the warcamp for a scenario? Admittedly at 12pm. :drink:

Here's my guilde to a better life.

Step One: Find a contested Keep.

Step Two: Hit the Door

Step Three: Wait for your new stuntie and pointy eared-cross dressing friends to turn up!

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
Why, oh why, release the game with 1,000,000,000 servers? Release with 10 (and 10 on standby) and roll them out as they fill up? A far more logical approach with a game as population critical as this one is/was, maybe?

Oh well maybe next time eh GoA?

:freddyfm:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
To be fair the existing servers were rammed to bursting at the start so needed the extra servers, now its cooled down a bit they probably aren't all needed. It would be a disaster to imply you have a small population and need to start merging or clustering so soon but now they have quite a few low pop servers. Maybe if they hadn't dicked about so much they could have retained more players.

I wouldn't start worrying just yet though, hopefully the fact that the queues for the god awful scenarios are longer (waiting for players to join) means more people are doing proper rvr?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
How long before the first "GoA sux! I'm rolling US with Guild" post? <Starts stopwatch>

Gromnir

Fledgling Freddie
"GoA sux! I'm rolling US with Guild"

Nah im cool with WAR, I thought about looking at WoW ... but then I saw a picture of a nightelf riding a flaming harpoon, an undead in a fighterjet and a mount that cost 20.000 gold with seats for 3 and has vendors ... that just made me go :lol:

But fact is its november soon december, and the industry is rolling out games left and right to PC and consoles alike. Im personally spending a great deal more time then I thought I'd ben doing on Fallout3, and there is a new Neverwinther Night 2 expansion due later this month

Frozenheart

Fledgling Freddie
I thought the warhammer fanbois wanted the wow kids to sod off back to wow anyways .. when they do go they moan dooooooooooooooooom to warhammer, lol :twak:

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
I thought the warhammer fanbois wanted the wow kids to sod off back to wow anyways .. when they do go they moan dooooooooooooooooom to warhammer, lol :twak:

Well - you should know that MMO communities is about the best place to find paradoxes :)
But yes ..... you are right :)

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
Nah im cool with WAR, I thought about looking at WoW ... but then I saw a picture of a nightelf riding a flaming harpoon, an undead in a fighterjet and a mount that cost 20.000 gold with seats for 3 and has vendors ... that just made me go :lol:

There's motorcycles! VROOOOOOM!

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Why, oh why, release the game with 1,000,000,000 servers? Release with 10 (and 10 on standby) and roll them out as they fill up? A far more logical approach with a game as population critical as this one is/was, maybe?

They wanted to be WoW.... maybe if they had tried to be DAoC they would have been more successful.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
They wanted to be WoW.... maybe if they had tried to be DAoC they would have been more successful.
They tried too hard not to make it Daoc 2.

They had the chance to iterate on Daoc, remove the kinks and make it good old fashion fun like before the ToA and NF days with a beefed up graphics engine and smoother control systems.

But no, they prefer telling us:

1. How to play. (Large numbers people! Everyone loves to do neverending zerg vs zerg warfare)
2. Where to play. (Let's artificially lock out zones so we can make sure point 1 is met - oh and scenarios are the next big thing! People loved grinding battlegrounds in WoW...)
3. How long to do it (Let's make sure a 1vs1 fight last as long as possible, people hate dying!)

I'm still playing WAR, but they really have to start getting in touch with reality, fast.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
They tried too hard not to make it Daoc 2.

They had the chance to iterate on Daoc, remove the kinks and make it good old fashion fun like before the ToA and NF days with a beefed up graphics engine and smoother control systems.

But no, they prefer telling us:

1. How to play. (Large numbers people! Everyone loves to do neverending zerg vs zerg warfare)
2. Where to play. (Let's artificially lock out zones so we can make sure point 1 is met - oh and scenarios are the next big thing! People loved grinding battlegrounds in WoW...)
3. How long to do it (Let's make sure a 1vs1 fight last as long as possible, people hate dying!)

I'm still playing WAR, but they really have to start getting in touch with reality, fast.

I doubt there is anything Mythic can do with Warhammer at the moment though.
Many things would need huge reworks in the game design to get to work.

About the only thing I can think off is making frontiers again, like they had in DAoC. A separate zone divided from the entire rest of the game which is RvR with objectives and plenty of space to move around to be able to divide the zerg from the FG from the soloers.

That however I do not see happening any time soon, seeing as how much work have been put into the entire conquest system and current RvR zones/system.

Basically - I see few chances for Warhammer to keep most of the DAoC people here for a long time and frankly - I fail to see them unable to keep the WoW people leaving them with a very small market segment.

I think you are correct with the initial statement. They tried too hard not to make DAoC 2 that they dropped the ball on various large issues, such as meaningful and exciting RvR.

I like zergs, I also like FG/2FG or solo combat, but it all seems so immensely pointless in this game.
I had hope faction pride (aka realm pride) would have provided the points and the motivation - but alas - it is all but nonexisting other then which faction whines the most about the other factions classes on forums.

It is all about rewards now, and in DAoC it wasn't - sure you got realm points and abilities and all that, but now we see people farming empty keeps to get "epix!!11!onetwoeleven" and I just go wonder why. Meaningless - that's my current feeling of Warhammer long term. In DAoC we took keeps just for the heck of it.

Luckily - I still enjoy leveling and low level scenarios (and oRvR when it can be found), but alas - it'll not hold me for years.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
Some WoW people will stay. Some will stay because even with new content, the gameplay has gotta feel old to some people after this amount of time. Others might stay because WAR has better RvR, which in my opinion it does.

Dunno where the comments about things being dead are. Scen queues are shorter than ever, it feels to me.

And I'm no fanboi. I'm thinking about leaving WAR myself, just have no interest in another stint on the WoW treadmill.

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
Its a new game, ppl are still ironing out the kinks, I think 1.05 needs to be good and 1.1 needs to arrive soon to secure WARs place in the running.

All MMOs start off a bit scrappy, its just that any MMO released today is going up against leviathans like WoW. DAoC days I had plenty of problems but there wasnt anything else to play. My WoW warrior was rubbish when it first came out but theyve had 6 years to work on stuff there and their wasnt much else to play.

WAR has come out strong but its now an extremely competitive field so higher standards are always being applied, I think they have a sound mechanic and that it will get better and better as thigns like DF, NF etc can be slotted in easily.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Why, oh why, release the game with 1,000,000,000 servers?

The problem is, they did release with about 10 servers, and as soon as there was a queue to log in people went WAA WAA WAA I DON'T WANT TO WAIT IT'S ALL GOA'S FAULT WAA WAA WAA so they opened up a bunch more servers. About 2 days later people (by and large the same people) went WAA WAA WAA THERE'S NOT ENOUGH POPULATION IT'S ALL GOA's FAULT WAA WAA WAA...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Even without DAoC/WoW players, Games Workshop has millions of fans and so if any of them are mmo players or are going to become mmo players they will at least give WAR a try.

Oh and I like your black metal character names Svartmetall :worthy:

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus

You see that to me just sounds stupid. Why the hell would they want to make a game more like DAoC. Just put your fanboi pride down for a second and look at it from a marketing point of view.
WoW was and still is the most successful MMORPG on the market, and probably of all time so why would they try to copy a lesser known game when they have a very successful template to use, and a larger fanbase to poach?

You all go on about how good DAoC was back in the day but you forget WoW was an awesome game before it became a victim of it's own success, now it's just a commecial game that bows down to the hardcore players demands, but it's still going stronger than ever before.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
Pretty sure they didn't want it to be WoW. I'd imagine they started with what they thought was the most appealing part of DAoC, then tried to bring it up to date with what MMOs have learnt in the last few years.

You can even see where some of the heavily criticised bits came from. E.g. in DAoC, everyone used to moan that RvR took place in the same little areas and the rest of the frontier was empty. Hence WAR has no large RvR zones. It misses the mark for me on that issue, I liked the big open zones, but I can see how they got where they did, and it ain't throught trying to be WoW.

All in all it would be a bit unwise trying to take the market leader on at its own game. You gotta appeal to people in a way WoW don't to attract their players.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
You can even see where some of the heavily criticised bits came from. E.g. in DAoC, everyone used to moan that RvR took place in the same little areas and the rest of the frontier was empty. Hence WAR has no large RvR zones. It misses the mark for me on that issue, I liked the big open zones, but I can see how they got where they did, and it ain't throught trying to be WoW.
<snip>

Wasn't my experience that "everybody" moaned like that. Hibernia's "moaned" cause it always was Emain which was a zerg fest, but there were plenty of good RvR to find in Midgard and Albion frontiers.
In fact - it was this splitting of zones which IMO provides most of the fun RvR aspects of DAoC cause if you wanted zerg RvR you knew you'd most likely find some in Emain, if you wanted solo or full group, you could either try and venture deep int Hibernia or one of the other zones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom